Participant summary of NTM webinar 9/14 with Dr. Kevin Fennelly

Posted by terryb1 @128128terry11t, Sep 14, 2017

Just finished listening to Webinar "Nontuberculous Mycobacteria-Practical Points" delivered by Dr. Kevin Fennelly of the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute. They will be emailing a link to this recorded webinar to all participants. I promised that I would report back and wanted to do so immediately. There was only about 15 or so minutes devoted to questions; the rest of the time was a general discussion on NTMs. A few points that were my "take aways":
All patients have two diseases: the underlying lung disease (structural, damaged airways) and NTM
Rifampin has drug interactions with many drugs, particularly steroid or hormone drugs. Need to check with physician as these drugs may be affected and dosage needs to be adjusted. He mentioned that Estrogen replacement therapy now appears to be safer than originally thought.
Clarithromycin can be diminished by rifampin. Thus, it is important to monitor drug levels.
Good idea to make your own "Flow Charts"-- a spreadsheet of blood work, sputum results, lab tests over the months.
Mentioned the new evidence of patients being contaminated who have had open heart surgery and developed disseminated disease
If you use water filter in home, it must be changed as frequently as the manufacturer recommends or you can be amplifying bacteria.
Due to the increase in NTM infections around the world, there will be more in terms of diagnostics and development of new drugs for NTMs.
It may be possible that if one is minimally symptomatic, saline and exercise may be enough and that drugs may not be necessary. That would be something that patient and doctor would have to investigate.
He believes that going to dentist should not be problematic. Patients can discuss with dentist about their concern for biofilm in water.
He states that "most bottled water is someone else's tap water". I believe that he stated that it is not necessary to drink boiled water (please wait for recorded webinar to be available to make certain that this is what he said). It is not necessary to take Draconian steps; one need not buy any special water. If filter is used in home, it must be changed frequently as stated before.
If one takes the Big 3 drugs for more than 10 years, he stated that he believes that there is no data to suggest that duration has a toxic effect. He is not aware of long term effects. There may be such effects with amikacin.
With first time MAC treatment, 60-75% will have microbiological "cure".
If someone becomes infected within a few months of stopping drugs, it is the same infection. If someone develops another infection after many months or years, it is a new infection -- not reinfection. I believe that he said that there is no evidence that the bacteria remains dormant and then resurfaces ???Again it must be emphasized that it is important to wait for recording to make certain that I have heard and stated this correctly.
There appears to be more interest in NTMs and this bodes well for new trials of other interventions. Liposomal amikacin is one such example.
Hope that this was somewhat helpful. Terry

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the MAC & Bronchiectasis Support Group.

Thanks Bunches Terry - Very Interesting - I will not share with others til you get the hard copy.

Thank you Terry for writing these notes while the webinar was still fresh in your mind.
If anyone else watched the webinar, please add your key take-aways here. What did you learn?

Terry11t...thank you so much...very helpful tdrell

Terry, On the points you weren't sure about, I heard the same as you. It seems there are a few things that are contradictory to what we have been told in the past, but I believe those are conversations we need to have with our doctors. I'm encouraged to know that there is more interest in research now. I did take photos of some of the slides. Not sure how many I can post at once so I'll divide them up. These aren't all of them, just a few I wanted for reference.

Sorry. Looks like it duplicated some that I posted. I didn't know we could post media on here! It was a good webinar. Not a lot of new information, but every little bit helps! Linda M

@barbie46

Thanks Bunches Terry - Very Interesting - I will not share with others til you get the hard copy.

Jump to this post

Please feel free to share. Don't know what you mean by hard copy. If I get a link to the recorded Webinar, will post. Terry

Terry Bordan

In reply to @lindam272 "One more to go!" + (show)
@lindam272

One more to go!

Jump to this post

What is the "one more to go"?

Terry Bordan

@lindam272

Sorry. Looks like it duplicated some that I posted. I didn't know we could post media on here! It was a good webinar. Not a lot of new information, but every little bit helps! Linda M

Jump to this post

@128128terry11t - I had one more slide to post; however, when I posted it, I also re-posted the 4 before it. First time using the media button and late night so mistake made. I hope the information proves beneficial. Linda M

Terry - you did an excellent job in highlighting all the points.. the one thing that you wrote: " I believe that he said that there is no evidence that the bacteria remains dormant and then resurfaces ???" was in fact what he said, which I found very interesting, and that if one does begin to cough again, it is more likely another bacteria.... I would conclude that any of us with MAC treated with the 18 month Big 3 still has a good chance of picking up other bacteria,so clearly we have to be vigilant. Pamela

Please sign in or register to post a reply.