Tips on minimizing withdrawal symptoms from Effexor (aka Venlafaxine)

Posted by richyrich @richyrich, Nov 2, 2016

I have been taking Effexor/Venlafaxine for years and tried to get off it a few times but each time I try to give up the chemical withdrawal symptoms are a horror story and I give up giving up. Anyone got any tips or tried and tested strategies? Thank you

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Depression & Anxiety Support Group.

@secretwhitepop

Maybe there’s a thread about seroquel? Part of me thought that seroquel + zoloft basically equals Effexor. But I’m not having the same side effects. Which is good. However, I am prescribed the lowest dose there is and I cut that in half. And seems to be working. I actually tried weening off once I got the hang of zoloft and any less than a quarter brings on anxiety.

I will always try and stay on the lowest dose of anything I can.

But why should I worry about seroquel?

Jump to this post

@secretwhitepop, there are a few discussion threads about seroquel here:
- Getting off of Seroquel https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/getting-off-of-seroquel/
- Seroquel and side effects https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/seroquel-causing-extreme-grogginess/

@sandij

1. Ego related. They get their panties in a wad over patients who do research. 2. They dismiss patient concerns because, after all, we are crazy enough to need a psychiatrist, so our concerns stem from our diagnosis. 3. Big pharm gives kickbacks. 4. Laziness to research new information unless it can help their financial situation. 5. They usually have their own, untreated diagnoses, which is why they chose that profession.

Jump to this post

interesting points.. especially number 5, i think you're spot on with that one.

@chicago1211

I’m seeing myself in your posts, what you describe is exactly what I experience right now, I just had to reply.
Well, in case you think you are alone in this hell.

Jump to this post

thanks @chicago1211 how have things been for you lately?

@texasduchess

I am glad today is a better day and that you were able to get enough quality sleep last night. If we each had a crystal ball, we'd make a LOT of different choices. I agree with @sheffieldsmith that anyone thinking of tapering right now should hold off and if already started, hold where they are; sheltering-in-place and social distancing are stresses enough. If you can, avoid the news and agitating/violent TV, movies, books and music. A regular routine and taking meds/supplements on schedule help maintain an even keel (you mentioned you had forgotten about your thyroid medication). I will be off Effexor two years shortly--it does get better.

Jump to this post

thank you for this feedback @texasduchess . can i ask, were you on long? (you also, literally just reminded me to take my vitamins :P)

@cp6401

thank you for this feedback @texasduchess . can i ask, were you on long? (you also, literally just reminded me to take my vitamins :P)

Jump to this post

You can click on my name, or anyone's name on this thread and read all their posts. I have quite a few, so I'll reprise my history.

I started taking 25mg Effexor in 2001 for hot flashes (an off-label use). My breast cancer was estrogen-driven so I was given tamoxifen--it binds up the estrogen in your body which put me into a chemically induced menopause.

In the Fall of 2014, I was diagnosed with a different breast cancer. I asked my oncologist if I should get off the Effexor as my treatment was going to more grueling and I probably didn't need it for hot flashes anymore, anyway. He told me to hold off--not to rock the boat right now.

I waited until the Spring of 2018 and tapered off by cutting my small flat tablets into tinier and tinier pieces. I took two months to get off 25mg. I was fine for about six weeks after the taper. Then, I began experiencing all the symptoms of Effexor withdrawal--anxiety, insomnia, agitation, shakes, akathisia, fear, dizziness, etc. I had been on Effexor for almost 18 years--I think six weeks is how long it took for my body to "use up" all the stores of this drug stored in my body tissues.

@secretwhitepop

I forgot to mention this before, but, have you tried meditation? That helped me tremendously while I was med free. Like I said before, I’m back on zoloft and seroquel and I like the effect better than Effexor. And I always wish I was on nothing. But, well, like they say, it is what it is.

Jump to this post

Hello @secretwhitepop, yes, i'm an almost regular meditator. I say almost because there are times when i feel like maybe now isn't a good time to sit and be still.

@sheffieldsmith

I understand your feelings of despair over whether or not you’ll get better soon and “see the light at the end of the tunnel”. Yes, in all probability, YOU WILL. Please go back and check my posts and those of ace contributors you see recurring on here. We all have given a precise and consistent history of our journeys and present status. It would be a big help for you to see our success stories and present statuses. In my particular case, I became more alive and “with it” within 6 months of my final weaning off Venlafaxine. I currently only get occasional feelings of anxiety, and very little depression now, even with being on the free-falling rollercoaster ride we’ve all found to be our “pervasive new normal”, WHICH IS ONLY TEMPORARY. If you need help navigating this awesome forum to find our history of page posts, please reach out and let one of us know. Just click on our profile name and it will take you there! Your only job is to take care of yourself at this time and I hope you’re following some of the excellent advice posted here! Many have influenced and helped me to be where I thankfully am today. Now, you have some reading to do, friend! Let us know if you have any questions and we’ll pop in to answer! KEEP ON KEEPING ON.....

Jump to this post

Thank you so much for this feedback, I needed it. I will take your advice! I find my self looking online and YouTube for positive feedback on folks that have succeeded after as long as me at Getting off. I have found a few.. it’s hard not to become obsessed with searching, but on the flip side, it’s easy to come across something that will make you feel worse about everything. 😀

@texasduchess

You can click on my name, or anyone's name on this thread and read all their posts. I have quite a few, so I'll reprise my history.

I started taking 25mg Effexor in 2001 for hot flashes (an off-label use). My breast cancer was estrogen-driven so I was given tamoxifen--it binds up the estrogen in your body which put me into a chemically induced menopause.

In the Fall of 2014, I was diagnosed with a different breast cancer. I asked my oncologist if I should get off the Effexor as my treatment was going to more grueling and I probably didn't need it for hot flashes anymore, anyway. He told me to hold off--not to rock the boat right now.

I waited until the Spring of 2018 and tapered off by cutting my small flat tablets into tinier and tinier pieces. I took two months to get off 25mg. I was fine for about six weeks after the taper. Then, I began experiencing all the symptoms of Effexor withdrawal--anxiety, insomnia, agitation, shakes, akathisia, fear, dizziness, etc. I had been on Effexor for almost 18 years--I think six weeks is how long it took for my body to "use up" all the stores of this drug stored in my body tissues.

Jump to this post

Thanks for sharing your story @texasduchess. It’s confirmation again to me that it’s possible to live a life med free. I was wondering about that akithisia thing. I have that when I have higher anxiety levels too

@cp6401

Thank you so much for this feedback, I needed it. I will take your advice! I find my self looking online and YouTube for positive feedback on folks that have succeeded after as long as me at Getting off. I have found a few.. it’s hard not to become obsessed with searching, but on the flip side, it’s easy to come across something that will make you feel worse about everything. 😀

Jump to this post

You got it! I think we’re all counting our blessings these days!

Please sign in or register to post a reply.