Tips on minimizing withdrawal symptoms from Effexor (aka Venlafaxine)

Posted by richyrich @richyrich, Nov 2, 2016

I have been taking Effexor/Venlafaxine for years and tried to get off it a few times but each time I try to give up the chemical withdrawal symptoms are a horror story and I give up giving up. Anyone got any tips or tried and tested strategies? Thank you

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Depression & Anxiety Support Group.

Now that I’m going back on my Effexor full dose and I have stopped my Wellbutrin, will my blurred vision go away?

I would think so, yes. I had all kinds of weird thing happen - phantom smells among them. Once I stated back on an ssri it subsided. Please let us know how it goes.

@secretwhitepop

I would think so, yes. I had all kinds of weird thing happen - phantom smells among them. Once I stated back on an ssri it subsided. Please let us know how it goes.

Jump to this post

Today I’m still dizzy, it’s more of a vertigo feeling and I still get tremors in my legs/arms. When I move up from 75 to my original dose of 150, will I feel better? My anxiety’s got me thinking I have Covid even though all my symptoms only started when I originally went off Effexor and switched to Wellbutrin.

@lisalucier

Hi, @suzy31 - sorry to hear about this mix-up with your insurance and the fluoxetine (Prozac). Has it now arrived, or are you awaiting it in the mail?

Jump to this post

It arrived and I'm glad it did. I started the Prozac and dropped the Viibryrd and so glad I dropped that drug it was making me more anxious and very short tempered. Now that I'm off of it I feel a lot calmer. I was reading that women my age who take Viibryd it makes you more anxious and I don't need that it was also giving me headaches when I took the full 20 milligram dose so I cut the pill in half to 10 and then the headaches went away but still feeling anxious. I can see why you have to be on Prozac to get off the Effexor because the Prozac has a greater calming effect. Not a tired calming effect just a relaxed one. I hope you know what I mean. The Viibyrd was making me so short tempered I didn't recognize myself.

@stephee11

Today I’m still dizzy, it’s more of a vertigo feeling and I still get tremors in my legs/arms. When I move up from 75 to my original dose of 150, will I feel better? My anxiety’s got me thinking I have Covid even though all my symptoms only started when I originally went off Effexor and switched to Wellbutrin.

Jump to this post

Also my chest feels very warm as do my biceps. I’m not sure what that’s from. But it’s scaring my too.

@lisalucier

Hi, @stephee11 - did your local health unit have any suggestions on the symptoms you are describing?

Jump to this post

My local health unit told me to wait it out, if I could get ahold of them. I’m bringing my Effexor back up to my original dose so hopefully that will help the rapid heart rate, warm chest, tremors and the vertigo. I just want to feel normal again.

Is it normal to have hypertension for days when going through this? I can feel my blood pressure just jerking my legs.

@stephee11

Jump to this post

It’s been hard for me to understand whether these what I have are withdrawal symptoms or Covid.

I doubt it’s covid. Do you have a temperature or dry cough?

@lisalucier

Hello, @abbynormal, and welcome to Mayo Clinic Connect. Sorry to hear your previous attempt at tapering off of venlafaxine (Effexor) did not go so well. If you click VIEW & REPLY in your email notification, you will see the entire thread on venlafaxine tapering.

You mentioned your doctor suggested tapering by counting beads in the capsules and slowly decreasing the amount over several months. Some members who have mentioned this method and may have some thoughts for you from their personal experiences tapering this way include @sandij @doorman @kbmayo. @texasduchess and @jakedduck1 also may have some input.

Have you already decreased your dosage since you discussed the taper with the doctor, abbynormal? If so, how did it go?

Also, good to hear from you, @sundance6. Venlafaxine (Effexor) is used to treat depression and some anxiety and panic disorders https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/venlafaxine-oral-route/description/drg-20067379.

Jump to this post

Thanks for the warm welcome and the suggestions. I haven't started tapering yet, just wanted to learn more about this approach before I start it. I'm glad to know that others have tried and had good results. I understand that no approach is "withdrawal-free" and that I will undoubtedly experience the effects, but if I can make it less debilitating as it was going from 75mg to 37.5mg, I'm willing to try. 🙂

Please sign in or register to post a reply.