Tips on minimizing withdrawal symptoms from Effexor (aka Venlafaxine)

Posted by richyrich @richyrich, Nov 2, 2016

I have been taking Effexor/Venlafaxine for years and tried to get off it a few times but each time I try to give up the chemical withdrawal symptoms are a horror story and I give up giving up. Anyone got any tips or tried and tested strategies? Thank you

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Depression & Anxiety Support Group.

@cp6401

perhaps it's the emotions due WD, but i teared up when i read you had a sudden bout of happiness.. oh how i long for that.. i'm also completely off venlafaxine now, it's been 7-8 days.. of hell.. i will locate my previous posts and update. thanks for Sharing

Jump to this post

I lasted 6 months, med free. During that time I jogged once or twice a day. Usually cried while jogging. Lost 19 pounds from anxiety. (And exercise). Developed phantom smells, vertigo. Just a wreck. I think I’m a person who needs meds and that’s that. I’m back on zoloft and seroquel and feel better 🙂

@texasduchess

@cp6401
"Is my current suffering still due to my taper from 75 to 37.5 2–3 months ago?"
It could be. If you are tapering too fast, withdrawal symptoms are the big tip off. If they're intolerable, the recommendation is to go back to the level where you felt good (or where at least your withdrawal symptoms were tolerable), stabilize at that dose for weeks (or even months) before tapering again (but reduce by only 5-10%, or less). Rushing the process may mean you ultimately can't get off Effexor because the withdrawals are too awful.

It sounds as if you are finding the anxiety, OCD and circling/intrusive thoughts very distressing. Are you under a doctor's care? Is your doctor on board with your trying to go AD-free? You could ask your doctor about a "Prozac bridge." Adding fluoxetine (Prozac) "softens the blow" when withdrawing from short half-life drugs (like Effexor). The half-life of Effexor is 5 hours and 99% of it is out of your body in one day; Prozac's is 4–6 days and it takes 25 days for 99% of it to be out of your body. Essentially, the Prozac cushions the effect of no Effexor and lets you "ride out" the withdrawal process. You add 20mg of Prozac to any other antidepressant and then get off the original drug; then, you taper off the Prozac. Re the Prozac, one source said you may need to take a second 20mg dose of Prozac; another said you take 10–20mg Prozac (fluoxetine) for a short period (weeks, a month) until your WD symptoms resolve, then taper off the Prozac over 2–3 weeks.

You mentioned that you've been on ADs of some sort for 25 years, or more. Effexor gets stored in body tissues when you've been on it for a long time--that may lengthen the time you should taper.

Even if you get off ADs, you may need to medicate for your OCD.

Jump to this post

i was trying to see if i'd replied to this.........oy... no one likes to hear that they may need medication for life.. i got a sword strike of anxiety in the chest just reading that.. you may be right, i have no idea... but for now, my goal is to taper off this crap, as the side effect to benefit ratio was 5:1. one thing i can say for sure.. is that if ever i need to weight the pro's and con's of going back onto an AD.. it won't be effexor. I will be updating my progress on another post.. as soon as i find it..

@cp6401

i was trying to see if i'd replied to this.........oy... no one likes to hear that they may need medication for life.. i got a sword strike of anxiety in the chest just reading that.. you may be right, i have no idea... but for now, my goal is to taper off this crap, as the side effect to benefit ratio was 5:1. one thing i can say for sure.. is that if ever i need to weight the pro's and con's of going back onto an AD.. it won't be effexor. I will be updating my progress on another post.. as soon as i find it..

Jump to this post

i can't find my previous post so i'll just reply to this one.. on the advice of 3 professionals, i started tapering effexor XR with day on day off strategy from 37.5 down... and i went against most people's advice here and did not go "slow/steady".. why? because i was misreable on it to begin with.. why would i prolong that? so the taper started early february, basically it was.. day on, day off, day on day off, then day on, day off, day off, day on, day off, day off.. (1 day on, 2 days off), then i started halfing the doses of pills every 2 days.. then just stopped..that was a roaller coaster of emotions anxiety.. but the worse i THINK is behind he.. i'm on day 7-8 of being AD free.. but it has been a nightmare so far.. insomnia due to panic attacks, anxious all day, obsessive thinking, zombie, depersonalisation, probably due to lack of sleep/anxiety.. BUT i'm chugging along with the odd crying fits etc.. looking for that light at the end of the tunnel... just wanted to update you guys. one thing i wanted to mention, is that, the thing that really makes it hard.. is that the frame work, or template dosen't change from day to day.. you still have to " get up, workout, go to work, take care of the kids, come home etc.." and we all know the emotions that come along with that ;P.. anyways, enough playing the victim here... up and onward.

@secretwhitepop

Yes! And people also think you’re nuts! Haha.

Jump to this post

For all of the hype about normalizing mental health, and the social media promotions, it will be generations before no stigma is attached, and it will always exist. This was done to us through mismanaged prescriptions (is anyone on here withdrawing from effexor they got illegally?) and doctors who play the odds of 1 in 3 people having no or minimal problems with the side effects. It works for many people and some can stop taking it easily. Back to my point - explaining about this is time consuming and complex. I feel like I want people to understand I am not nuts, but no one has time to either listen to me explain, or research on their own. No one especially wants to listen to a person who in their mind is nuts, crazy or, in the least, unstable.

@cp6401

i can't find my previous post so i'll just reply to this one.. on the advice of 3 professionals, i started tapering effexor XR with day on day off strategy from 37.5 down... and i went against most people's advice here and did not go "slow/steady".. why? because i was misreable on it to begin with.. why would i prolong that? so the taper started early february, basically it was.. day on, day off, day on day off, then day on, day off, day off, day on, day off, day off.. (1 day on, 2 days off), then i started halfing the doses of pills every 2 days.. then just stopped..that was a roaller coaster of emotions anxiety.. but the worse i THINK is behind he.. i'm on day 7-8 of being AD free.. but it has been a nightmare so far.. insomnia due to panic attacks, anxious all day, obsessive thinking, zombie, depersonalisation, probably due to lack of sleep/anxiety.. BUT i'm chugging along with the odd crying fits etc.. looking for that light at the end of the tunnel... just wanted to update you guys. one thing i wanted to mention, is that, the thing that really makes it hard.. is that the frame work, or template dosen't change from day to day.. you still have to " get up, workout, go to work, take care of the kids, come home etc.." and we all know the emotions that come along with that ;P.. anyways, enough playing the victim here... up and onward.

Jump to this post

Something that helped me while I was med-free was meditation. I downloaded an App, but there are some free quick guided meditations on you tube. I found one called “daily calm” that really helped.

Now... finding the time to actually DO it was another story 🙂

Good luck!

Ps: my niece became pregnant and went off al her meds successfully! So there’s hope! Don’t give up! But also, go easy on yourself.

@ksad

For all of the hype about normalizing mental health, and the social media promotions, it will be generations before no stigma is attached, and it will always exist. This was done to us through mismanaged prescriptions (is anyone on here withdrawing from effexor they got illegally?) and doctors who play the odds of 1 in 3 people having no or minimal problems with the side effects. It works for many people and some can stop taking it easily. Back to my point - explaining about this is time consuming and complex. I feel like I want people to understand I am not nuts, but no one has time to either listen to me explain, or research on their own. No one especially wants to listen to a person who in their mind is nuts, crazy or, in the least, unstable.

Jump to this post

I’m guilty of looking up “stats” regarding percentage of folks who are taking AD or AA meds! Like this forum, it’s always comforting to know you’re not alone.

@secretwhitepop

I’m guilty of looking up “stats” regarding percentage of folks who are taking AD or AA meds! Like this forum, it’s always comforting to know you’re not alone.

Jump to this post

AD ? AA? something anxiety? something depression? One psychiatrist said depression and bipolar disorder, also anxiety are usually diagnosed in people younger, in their 20's. I wonder if he will ever realize far more people are undiagnosed and if there is no access to a psychiatrist or equivalent to make the diagnosis, it does not happen. That should be obvious, I thought. One isn't manic because there is not a sustained period of being high, of reckless behaviour. Oh there was, but after 40 years of managing that, and turning into an old lady of almost 60, things have changed. The rants and venting is far from over!

@cp6401

perhaps it's the emotions due WD, but i teared up when i read you had a sudden bout of happiness.. oh how i long for that.. i'm also completely off venlafaxine now, it's been 7-8 days.. of hell.. i will locate my previous posts and update. thanks for Sharing

Jump to this post

I hear you. Venlafaxine withdrawal wreaks havoc on brain chemistry including the emotions. The emotional responses I've had to others stories though are I think genuine and quite 'rational'. From a profound sense of relief knowing it's not 'just me', to deep empathy for the pain and suffering of others, I've cried many times reading this thread. That someone's little burst of sunshine can illicit pangs of longing makes sense too... it's a very 'raw' state we are in. I hope you're touched by your own sunbeam soon. And please know that it lasted only a moment - but even a 'glimpse' of a brighter future is enough to keep me pushing on on towards a better day... wish you all the best!

@cp6401

thanks for the feedback @flind, i always wondered that. i'd also be curious as to which supplements were recommended for you if you would like to share.

Jump to this post

I did share a bit about what I am taking in my post but it won't be relevant to anyone else's needs because each of us has a completely unique physio-chemical makeup. I have heard that a few of the supplements are fairly common, so these are probably beneficial to many people. The pretty 'standard' ones are the Essential Fatty Acids - like Fish, Flax, Evening Primrose, Vitamin B-12 - make sure it's methylcobalamin (unless you feel your body can handle the extra molecule of cyanide in cyanocobalamin - personally I avoid cyanocobalamin), and then D-3 & A (especially important on cloudy days). A good multi is probably helpful for most people - I personally use Source Naturals "Life Force Multiple" with no iron and no cyanocobalamin. The brands I have come to trust are Source Naturals, Pure Encapsulations & (most) Jarrow Formulas. I take Jarrow's "Bone-up" which is a decent source of calcium, magnesium, potassium, zinc, and more.

@sandij

@laujenkins I took omega 3 throughout my WD and never experienced a brain zap.

Jump to this post

I will try that!!

Please sign in or register to post a reply.