Tips on minimizing withdrawal symptoms from Effexor (aka Venlafaxine)

Posted by richyrich @richyrich, Nov 2, 2016

I have been taking Effexor/Venlafaxine for years and tried to get off it a few times but each time I try to give up the chemical withdrawal symptoms are a horror story and I give up giving up. Anyone got any tips or tried and tested strategies? Thank you

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Depression & Anxiety Support Group.

@sandij

All of these drugs have such strange and varied side effects, it's hard to say what's causing what. @farmboy please know we are all here to support you!

Jump to this post

@sandij thank you for your thoughts. I'm trying to get in to see the Dr tomorrow.

@brightwings

I too use Lazarus Naturals. I order CBD in coconut oil. Now remember, I am also treating relapsing multiple sclerosis.
I use 2,400 mg CBD for a bad month. Cost is $100, retail. I am worth it. Because I use CBD, I do not have to take any other medicines...I used to take 16 medicines.
Only this month, I can not get my usual dosage cuz they ran out.
So my anxiety is up and I am wobbly when I walk. Oh, I can feel all the aches and pains of old age and my illnesses without my regular dosage of CBD.
Usually I just breeze thru life but its Definately harder this month.
No one would ever know I have MS when I have my regular dosage.
Smiling at you, Bright Wings

Jump to this post

Thankyou so very much Brightwings!
I have very painful arthritis along with anxiety and depression. I would like to get off RX meds and use CBD. Do you use 2400mg monthly or daily!
With your success, I sure hope you are able to get your regular dose very soon!!

@sandij

I'm take CBD oil
900 mg of full spectrum with orange blossom terpenes added, that's what helps with anxiety. It's great when I remember to take it. Sometimes all these medicines/supplements are hard to keep up with!

Jump to this post

900mg per day?

@rascal1

I have very painful arthritis along with anxiety and depression. I would like to get off RX meds and use CBD. Do you use 2400mg monthly or daily!
With your success, I sure hope you are able to get your regular dose very soon!!

Jump to this post

@rascel1
Oh, you got me giggling then belly laughing. Thanks I needed that!!!!
A friend taught me about CBD last summer. I noticed 20 minutes after taking it my body didn't hurt as much.
I spent 4 years in bed from different ailments.
Now, when taking 2400 mg a month, that is 1/2 measuring spoon into my mouth 3 times a day. I live a triumphant life!
Trust your body to tell you when it is time...listen to the aches and pains.
Now having said I live a triumphant life, right now, at the lower dose I feel like I have been run over by a truck...twice!
I just contacted the company to get another bottle of the right medicine.
I will take CBD till the day I die.
Happy I made a decision and took an action to follow thru.
Bright Wings, who will soon be flying again

What's everyone's opinion on why I got to feeling great and now everything is going down hill again? I'm recently on 150mgs of effexor and 50mgs of Seroquel. What do all think?

@farmboy
Could you briefly give us a run down of your medicines again.
Drug, when started, stopped, etc.
It would help me help you. Thanks, Bright Wings

@rascal1

Jump to this post

@rascal1 We have a tincture that is 3000 mg of CBD and my daughter takes 1-2 ml when she needs it.

@brightwings

@farmboy
Could you briefly give us a run down of your medicines again.
Drug, when started, stopped, etc.
It would help me help you. Thanks, Bright Wings

Jump to this post

@brightwings I started 150mgs of effexor probably about 2 months ago and Seroquel 50 mgs a month ago. I've increasely get very irritated,don't feel like being around people. I was doing great for the last 2 weeks and over the weekend or a little before things started going down hill. Like I'm slipping right back into being lost,blank minded and don't feel like doing anything. Getting scared again!

@mommapsych
Oh, darling thank you for that info...I was thinking somewhere at the back of my mind, was I using too much...
This helps validate my usage. I am used to being a leader, but sometimes it gets darn lonely up here.
I spent 33 years cleaning up my terrible, tragic childhood. Why that long? Cuz the memories of abuse kept coming. I was and am worth doing what ever it takes to live a happy NORMAL life.
If that means 2400 mg of CBD a month, than so be it.
Now, understand, it is not only the CBD that keeps me going so well...
In those 33 years of healing, I have learned to relax and how to give myself constant endorphins thru the day and oh so many other tricks.
I constantly listen in the back round to the birds chirping, see clouds floating and a million other things that are feel good messages.
So I do get bouts of anxiety also. So I take the CBD when I feel it coming on. 1/2 tsp of my regular stuff. And sometimes I need to take an extra 1/2 tsp.
I've been doing soooo much research on CBD. Seems like its ok to take....
Bright Wings

@farmboy

@brightwings I started 150mgs of effexor probably about 2 months ago and Seroquel 50 mgs a month ago. I've increasely get very irritated,don't feel like being around people. I was doing great for the last 2 weeks and over the weekend or a little before things started going down hill. Like I'm slipping right back into being lost,blank minded and don't feel like doing anything. Getting scared again!

Jump to this post

@farmboy
Correct me if I am wrong please, it seems this irritability and almost aversion to being around folks is new...since the Seroquel.
I won't tell you what to do. But leave you with this question. Is this how you choose to live your life?
For myself, if I did everything the docs suggested, I would be a drugged victim.
Yes, I had a terrible life, yes, I spent 33 years to get to where I am now. I am a do what ever it takes kind of girl.
Now, I know you are in therapy...are you allowing yourself to Tell the therapist or are you holding back stuff. Its your life...you get to choose how to live it...
I spent 22 years in therapy. I refused to allow the folks who hurt me destroy my life cuz then they would have won. I was worth a galaxy of tears to get to the end of my pain...AND I DID IT
So how far are you going to go in your life??? What steps are you willing to take? How badly do you want a life like so many other folks get to live?
Ok, if it was me, just as a regular person, I would turn in that Seroquel to what ever agency takes and properly disposes of dangerous drugs and I would find a group therapy to join. Make a commitment for a year...
I bet you will do well...smiling at you, Bright Wings
Who is going to the bluegrass music jam tonight for a huge dose of endorphins by singing her little heart out.
What do you do that gives you joy?

Please sign in or register to post a reply.