Tips on minimizing withdrawal symptoms from Effexor (aka Venlafaxine)

Posted by richyrich @richyrich, Nov 2, 2016

I have been taking Effexor/Venlafaxine for years and tried to get off it a few times but each time I try to give up the chemical withdrawal symptoms are a horror story and I give up giving up. Anyone got any tips or tried and tested strategies? Thank you

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Depression & Anxiety Support Group.

@merpreb

@farmboy- Morning. It's good to hear from you. Please call your doctor about the new medication. Did you know that serquel is an anti-psychotic? Is this what your doctor thinks? Maybe there is an interaction with Effexor? Either way you shouldn't have a headache. Have you called her already?

Jump to this post

@mepreb I won't be able to call her until tomorrow. She isn't in on Monday's. I will get ahold of her tomorrow and tell her what's going on.

@mommapsych

@rascal1 My daughter uses it when she is heading into a social situation. She believes that it takes the edge off of her anxiety about such events. She will also take it when she's been having trouble sleeping or if she has a headache...all related to the Effexor weaning.

Jump to this post

Thanks mommapsych. Does she use CBT while on Effexor or any other psych med? I see she’s weaning from Effexor but wonder if she used it while fully on it. Thankyou!

@rascal1

Thanks mommapsych. Does she use CBT while on Effexor or any other psych med? I see she’s weaning from Effexor but wonder if she used it while fully on it. Thankyou!

Jump to this post

@rascal1 Yes, she uses it while still on Effexor. She's weaned from 150 mg. to 50 mg. over the course of about a year. She hasn't experienced any drug interaction with it as far as we can tell.

@rascal1

Has anyone used CBT oil while on Protonix and Effexor ?

Jump to this post

@rascal1- Are you asking about CBD oil made from hemp?

@mommapsych

@rascal1 Yes, she uses it while still on Effexor. She's weaned from 150 mg. to 50 mg. over the course of about a year. She hasn't experienced any drug interaction with it as far as we can tell.

Jump to this post

Thank you. How much does she take and how often? I realize it’s experimentation for everyone.

@rascal1

Thank you. How much does she take and how often? I realize it’s experimentation for everyone.

Jump to this post

@rascal1 I will take a look at the formulation when I get home. We order ours from Lazurus Oils.

All of these drugs have such strange and varied side effects, it's hard to say what's causing what. @farmboy please know we are all here to support you!

I'm take CBD oil
900 mg of full spectrum with orange blossom terpenes added, that's what helps with anxiety. It's great when I remember to take it. Sometimes all these medicines/supplements are hard to keep up with!

I too use Lazarus Naturals. I order CBD in coconut oil. Now remember, I am also treating relapsing multiple sclerosis.
I use 2,400 mg CBD for a bad month. Cost is $100, retail. I am worth it. Because I use CBD, I do not have to take any other medicines...I used to take 16 medicines.
Only this month, I can not get my usual dosage cuz they ran out.
So my anxiety is up and I am wobbly when I walk. Oh, I can feel all the aches and pains of old age and my illnesses without my regular dosage of CBD.
Usually I just breeze thru life but its Definately harder this month.
No one would ever know I have MS when I have my regular dosage.
Smiling at you, Bright Wings

Please sign in or register to post a reply.