Tips on minimising withdrawal symptoms from Effexor (aka Venlafaxine)

Posted by richyrich @richyrich, Nov 2, 2016

I have been taking Effexor/Venlafaxine for years and tried to get off it a few times but each time I try to give up the chemical withdrawal symptoms are a horror story and I give up giving up. Anyone got any tips or tried and tested strategies? Thank you

After 43 days effexor free I can report continued success and minimal discomfort from withdrawing.

@sandij

After 43 days effexor free I can report continued success and minimal discomfort from withdrawing.

Jump to this post

@sandij

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome. I’ve been completely Effexor free since February 1. I have good and bad days, but if I stay on top of my health and situation, things are very manageable. The only thing I do is cry sometimes, but I welcome it and know it’s a great release. BTW, I usually mention meditation – which helps tremendously for anxiety! But also, I get as much sunshine as I can. I believe I have a bit of Seasonal Affective Disorder. It helps.

Kudos!

Hello, I am here with both my feet firmly rooted in life…
Still going thru some things related to living…
Oh I finally went to the doctor, a chiropractor.
She told me my right hip was way higher than the left and has been causing the pain in my left heel and Rt knee.
She adjusted me and did Accupuncture..I was so thrilled to be PAIN FREE. It only lasted about 24 hours, then the hip shifted back..
My next appointment is tomorrow. Yippee
Bright Wings

Hi All!
I started with a new psychiatrist today. My appointment wasn't supposed to be until the end of July but they called yesterday with a cancellation.
Anyway, he wasn't all that pleased that I started a reduction without the guidance of a doctor. But he did understand I didn't have one.
He said that when I am ready to begin the reduction again, I should first discuss it eith him.
Just as a refresher, I was takin 2-75 mg of Effexor in the morning and evening. I am now taking 2-75 mg in the morning and 1-75 mg in the evening.
My next goal is to get to 75 mg in the morning, too.
He is suggesting a 37.5 cut from my morning dose, everyday, for 3 weeks. I am not sure that is the pattern I want to follow. I told him we'd talk about it when the time came. Have a nice evening!
Ronnie (GRANDMAr)

@grandmar
Nice, good for you. You already know what you can tolerate in realationship to reducing the med.
My suggestion is to go that route again.
Bright Wings

@sandij

Jump to this post

77 days Effexor Free! Still have bouts of anxiety and restless legs. But I’m finally rid of the Effexor!

I have been off effexor for 13days and it was the worst 13 days ever. I feel like I'm coming out on the other side finally but still have such bad headaches and I'm just very restless.

@babydoll

77 days Effexor Free! Still have bouts of anxiety and restless legs. But I’m finally rid of the Effexor!

Jump to this post

I'm 13 days off and think I'm starting to feel better but my head hurts so bad. I ended up in the ER the other day because my heart rate and blood pressure was so high and my head just hurt. I just can't believe how hard these withdrawls are. I can't wait until I feel better.

@grandmar

Hi All!
I started with a new psychiatrist today. My appointment wasn't supposed to be until the end of July but they called yesterday with a cancellation.
Anyway, he wasn't all that pleased that I started a reduction without the guidance of a doctor. But he did understand I didn't have one.
He said that when I am ready to begin the reduction again, I should first discuss it eith him.
Just as a refresher, I was takin 2-75 mg of Effexor in the morning and evening. I am now taking 2-75 mg in the morning and 1-75 mg in the evening.
My next goal is to get to 75 mg in the morning, too.
He is suggesting a 37.5 cut from my morning dose, everyday, for 3 weeks. I am not sure that is the pattern I want to follow. I told him we'd talk about it when the time came. Have a nice evening!
Ronnie (GRANDMAr)

Jump to this post

@grandmar
You have a process in place that's been working for you … I'm with you; why mess with success?

@lisa0878

I'm 13 days off and think I'm starting to feel better but my head hurts so bad. I ended up in the ER the other day because my heart rate and blood pressure was so high and my head just hurt. I just can't believe how hard these withdrawls are. I can't wait until I feel better.

Jump to this post

@lisa0878
Last we heard you were going to drop from 37.5mg to zero, rather than taper down to zero. Tapering may not eliminate withdrawal symptoms, but it sure can minimize them. You don't say what the ER did for you. Did the doc put you on a "bridging" medication, or at least suggest OTC stuff? Reinstating Effexor is also an option–you go back to the dose where you didn’t have withdrawal symptoms, stay there for some weeks before tapering again by much smaller increments (reduce only 5–10%, or even less) and allowing 2–6 weeks before tapering again. It may seem like you're going backwards, but you're able to function AND you're still heading toward that goal of getting off Effexor.

@brightwings

@grandmar
Nice, good for you. You already know what you can tolerate in realationship to reducing the med.
My suggestion is to go that route again.
Bright Wings

Jump to this post

Thx
That's what I suggested to the doc.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.