Tips on minimizing withdrawal symptoms from Effexor (aka Venlafaxine)

Posted by richyrich @richyrich, Nov 2, 2016

I have been taking Effexor/Venlafaxine for years and tried to get off it a few times but each time I try to give up the chemical withdrawal symptoms are a horror story and I give up giving up. Anyone got any tips or tried and tested strategies? Thank you

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Depression & Anxiety Support Group.

@grandmar

@sharonlou
So sorry to hear about the issues you are having with your eyes.
I am in the process of reducing Effexor.
I've shared this many times, but I know how difficult it is to go back and read all past stories.
So here is my journey.
I am 64 yo. I've been on Effexor for more years than I can remember. I am guessing way over 10.
After 1 year of being on the Effexor, my PCP suggested that since I was doing so well, I should start to reduce and come off of it. I don't remember the dosage I was taking, at the time. I remember I was taking 2 pills (one in the am and one in the pm). She told me to reduce down to 1 pill for a week or so, and then the next. I got as far as reducing 1 pill when the anxiety kicked in to full mode. Worse than before.
I will not bore you with what went on between then and now. All I will say is that the drug has done well by me (as far as anxiety attacks), but I noticed severe memory issues and the feeling of my head always in a cloud and heavy. So, my goal right now is to reduce to a level where I feel is good.
When I began my reduction, I was taking 300 mg a day (2-75 mg in the AM and PM). I went into this expecting it will a VERY long time to get to where I want to be. I also acknowledged that it will be ME who will determine when I am ready to reduce. I will read my own body!

Each change, so far, has taken 3 weeks (by choice). If I thought I was having (or will have ) a reaction, that time frame woul change.

1st 3 weeks: I reduced 1/4 of 1 of my PM pills EVERY OTHER DAY. AM pills not changed
PATTERN: 1-3/4 PILLS, 2 WHOLE PILLS, 1-3/4 PILLS, 2 WHOLE PILLS, ETC.
2nd 3 weeks: I took the reduced dosage of my PM pills EVERY DAY. AM pills not changed.
PATTERN: 1-3/4 PILLS, 1-3/4 PILLS....THE SAME EACH DAY
3rd 3 weeks: I reduced another 1/4 of 1 of my PM pills EVERY OTHER DAY. AM pills not changed.
PATTERN: 1-1/2 PILLS, 1-3/4 PILLS, 1-1/2 PILLS, 1-3/4 PILLS, ETC.
4th 3 weeks: I took the reduced doage of my PM pills EVERY DAY. AM pills not changed
PATTERN: 1-1/2 PILLS, 1-1/2 PILLS,.....THE SAME EACH DAY.
5th 3 weeks: I reduced another 1/2 of 1 of my PM pills EVERY OTHER DAY. AM pills not changed
I am on the last couple of days of this pattern.
PATTERN: 1 -1/4 PILLS, 1-1/2 PILLS, 1-1/4 PILLS, 1-1/2 PILLS., ETC.
6th 3 weeks: In a couple of days I will take the reduced doage of my PM pills EVERY DAY. AM pills not changed.
PATTERN: 1-1/4 PILLS, 1-1/4 PILLS, 1-1/4 PILLS, ETC. **If I develop any issues, I will remain on this dosage.

I THINK YOU CAN SEE THE PATTERN I AM USING. SO FAR, ONLY MY SLEEP HAS BEEN IMPACTED, AND I AM NOT 100% SURE IT IS FROM THE REDUCTION. ON THE UPSIDE, I DON'T FEEL LIKE MY HEAD IS IN THE FOG AND MY MEMORY SEEMS TO BE GETTING BETTER!

Hope this helps and does not confuse you or anyone else even more.
Good luck!
Ronnie (GRANDMAr)

Jump to this post

Thanks Ronnie for your details on weaning off of Effexor. I take 150mg Effexor XR capsule 1x day. My eye surgery went well. Now may have hip replacement. I don't want to start reducing dosage until recovered. Based on the brain zaps and nausea I get if I accidentally miss a dose, this may be a long difficult process. Will post when I start. Appreciate all the feedback. Sharyn

@jakedduck1

@sharonlou
Shouldn’t be hard to get off of it. Trick is to go SLOWLY. The post from @yudy should be reason enough for going slow. Unfortunately most doctors seem to believe slow are 50% cuts.
Researchers are coming to the conclusion a 5-10% decrease, PER DOSE is highly successful. A lot of this information comes from the people who have tried various titrations and most are finding this the most effective. It is very important however that the 5-10% is based on each titration dose and not a particular percentage per 2 weeks or month. The problem with 5-10% per month is that although in the beginning your dose decrease is indeed 5-10%, but the farther into your titration you get those percentages start to jump all over the place, some decreases are 33% some lower some as high as 50% even though you I The problem being the titrations are not consistent. Admittedly it’s going to take more time but the chance of withdrawal is almost non existent. There is a member here who is decreasing their dose by less than one half of 1 percent each month. Even at that rate, they are having symptoms.
I wish you the best, you can do it,
Jake

Jump to this post

Thank you Jake. I will indeed take it slow and watch the percentage that I am reducing. Very kind of you. I'll post my experience when I get started on this. Sharyn

@sharonlou

Thanks Ronnie for your details on weaning off of Effexor. I take 150mg Effexor XR capsule 1x day. My eye surgery went well. Now may have hip replacement. I don't want to start reducing dosage until recovered. Based on the brain zaps and nausea I get if I accidentally miss a dose, this may be a long difficult process. Will post when I start. Appreciate all the feedback. Sharyn

Jump to this post

Sharyn,
I think it is a good idea to wait. I also waited until I had my last surgery and I was off my pain meds. I wanted to make sure if there were any reactions, I'd know where it was coming from.
Good Luck!
Ronnie

Hi folks. Sorry I dont know how to put a new story on here so it looks like I’m replying to GrandmaR.

Today I had my last infusion of Chemo!!!!! To say thats a relief is the absolute truth. When we left the Cancer Centre exit door my wife and I hugged fir a long period od time and we even shed a tear!!!!! Its been a very long and stressful 6 months. Though I’m not religious, I do believe in God and he takes care of us believers. Not preaching —just saying. Now I look forward to the birth of our 4th grandchils mid next month. And I look forward to all this whit s**t to go away so I can peddle my ass around the city and get back into shape. But I will take my time getting back in shape. My once muscular legs have whittled to stork like features and my belly has increased in size. Hahaha. But thats ok. I’m very very fortunate to have only lost 10 pounds over this period. I must say that even though I will have to deal with cancer until I’m gone I still consider myself a lucky man cause their are people out there that are a lot worse off than I am. My cancer is incurable but manageable. Much like Diabetes said my Oncologist. I can live with that. Lolol. So I just wanted to update you all on this. Sorry there GmaR for using ur post. Hope this day is a happy one for everyone. If not go look in the mirror and smile!!!!!! You have lved another day!!!!!!’ Some are not as fortunate!!!!!

@shaker1956

Hi folks. Sorry I dont know how to put a new story on here so it looks like I’m replying to GrandmaR.

Today I had my last infusion of Chemo!!!!! To say thats a relief is the absolute truth. When we left the Cancer Centre exit door my wife and I hugged fir a long period od time and we even shed a tear!!!!! Its been a very long and stressful 6 months. Though I’m not religious, I do believe in God and he takes care of us believers. Not preaching —just saying. Now I look forward to the birth of our 4th grandchils mid next month. And I look forward to all this whit s**t to go away so I can peddle my ass around the city and get back into shape. But I will take my time getting back in shape. My once muscular legs have whittled to stork like features and my belly has increased in size. Hahaha. But thats ok. I’m very very fortunate to have only lost 10 pounds over this period. I must say that even though I will have to deal with cancer until I’m gone I still consider myself a lucky man cause their are people out there that are a lot worse off than I am. My cancer is incurable but manageable. Much like Diabetes said my Oncologist. I can live with that. Lolol. So I just wanted to update you all on this. Sorry there GmaR for using ur post. Hope this day is a happy one for everyone. If not go look in the mirror and smile!!!!!! You have lved another day!!!!!!’ Some are not as fortunate!!!!!

Jump to this post

@shaker1956
Congratulations on having your last chemo! And so glad that you are looking forward to the good things coming up.

@sharonlou

Jump to this post

I really like the idea of weaning very slowly! The problem is when you're on the XR you can only jump by the smallest dose, which is 37.5. I started weaning down from 150 mg to 112.5 mg yesterday. I feel like crap! My head hurts really bad, my neck is sore, and I just feel gross! This sucking makes me want off that much more, but I'm not sure if I'll make it... Anyone take any supplements to help with the withdrawal symptoms? Or Prozac?

@texasduchess

@shaker1956
Congratulations on having your last chemo! And so glad that you are looking forward to the good things coming up.

Jump to this post

Thank you there Texas D. Looking forward to just enjoying life!!!!

@teachols

I really like the idea of weaning very slowly! The problem is when you're on the XR you can only jump by the smallest dose, which is 37.5. I started weaning down from 150 mg to 112.5 mg yesterday. I feel like crap! My head hurts really bad, my neck is sore, and I just feel gross! This sucking makes me want off that much more, but I'm not sure if I'll make it... Anyone take any supplements to help with the withdrawal symptoms? Or Prozac?

Jump to this post

@teachols
Hi there,
I’m sorry your not feeling well. This is just my opinion but a 25% cut isn’t slow but I guess you found that out. Unfortunately your not one of the lucky ones who can tolerate large cuts. Take your time, the investment in time will be worth it in the long run.
Good luck,
Jake

Please sign in or register to post a reply.