Tips on minimizing withdrawal symptoms from Effexor (aka Venlafaxine)

Posted by richyrich @richyrich, Nov 2, 2016

I have been taking Effexor/Venlafaxine for years and tried to get off it a few times but each time I try to give up the chemical withdrawal symptoms are a horror story and I give up giving up. Anyone got any tips or tried and tested strategies? Thank you

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Depression & Anxiety Support Group.

@notaround

I have a happy light too actually. For me it didn't help the depression at all (mine isn't even slightly seasonal). It helped me stay awake when I worked night shifts back in college though.

Getting out would probably help but being stuck at home and isolated is part of why I'm not happy.

I have a life threatening allergy to synthetic scents which is almost everything. I have to avoid airborne stuff even, not just putting stuff on my skin. Like people doing their laundry makes my throat start to close up if I walk by their house when it's venting. Obviously I can't have most human contact. And finding a job that is 100% from home is difficult since I can't do anything that's based on phone calls.

If I could cure my allergies, I'd be able to handle the depression. Also I'd be able to get a job since currently I can't work in an cubicle.

Jump to this post

@notaround- I have no idea what to say. With allergies like you have you have to take care of yourself! Your allergist hasn't any meds that can help with some of them? Can you get out and walk?

@notaround

I have a happy light too actually. For me it didn't help the depression at all (mine isn't even slightly seasonal). It helped me stay awake when I worked night shifts back in college though.

Getting out would probably help but being stuck at home and isolated is part of why I'm not happy.

I have a life threatening allergy to synthetic scents which is almost everything. I have to avoid airborne stuff even, not just putting stuff on my skin. Like people doing their laundry makes my throat start to close up if I walk by their house when it's venting. Obviously I can't have most human contact. And finding a job that is 100% from home is difficult since I can't do anything that's based on phone calls.

If I could cure my allergies, I'd be able to handle the depression. Also I'd be able to get a job since currently I can't work in an cubicle.

Jump to this post

If you please, what is a happy light? How do YOU use it?
Thx
Ronnie (GRANDMAr)

Hi All!
I don't want to 'talk' out of place, but I do have something on my mind.
I think it is important that we all have to remember that just because we have a 'bad' or 'good' experience with something does not mean others will have the same experiences.
Most of us are on this particular group site because of our experiences with Effexor. I, myself, and a couple of others are NOT looking to go off of Effexor, but just reduce to a smaller amount without going through horrible withdrawals. Again, not all of us will.
For me, Effexor was a life saver! It got through lots of very rough times in my life like no other medication could. I NEVER counted just on the Effexor to help me with my anxiety (and some depression in later years). I sought out professional psychological help, too. I just found that I was having side-effects like memory loss, that was starting to become bothersome. I kept on contributing it to age (although I wasn't old at all).
All I am saying, is that I believe we all have to do what is good for us, what works for us and what we are comfortable with. There is NO definitive good or bad action we take....it is our OWN.
What I feel I can do here, and in other groups, is just share what my experiences have been. Be another side of the coin.
Here's to us!
Ronnie (GRANDMAr)

@grandmar

If you please, what is a happy light? How do YOU use it?
Thx
Ronnie (GRANDMAr)

Jump to this post

Hi Ronnie. Google it. I bought mine on Amazon. It's a special light that simulates sunshine without damaging beams. It's incredible

@merpreb

Hi Ronnie. Google it. I bought mine on Amazon. It's a special light that simulates sunshine without damaging beams. It's incredible

Jump to this post

Thx, I will!

I thank everyone for your input in regards to Effexor. It is excellent feedback. What am I going to do? I don't know as I smile. I will discuss this at length with my medication provider and go from there. I do know that my anxiety climbs extremely high especially at night. I think in part i because now being alone I fear having something happen and no one there to hear me. I don't want to take anything that will make me sleep well for fear of not being able to wake up if something was amiss. I will get more involved in mental health and grief counseling. I will let you know what we decide about Effexor. My sister-in-law bought one of those lights which I hope will help with the depression she says she doesn't have. She bought in hope of soaking up some Vitamin D which she is very low on and cannot take a supplement. I hope her next blood tests prove that to be so.

@summertime4

I thank everyone for your input in regards to Effexor. It is excellent feedback. What am I going to do? I don't know as I smile. I will discuss this at length with my medication provider and go from there. I do know that my anxiety climbs extremely high especially at night. I think in part i because now being alone I fear having something happen and no one there to hear me. I don't want to take anything that will make me sleep well for fear of not being able to wake up if something was amiss. I will get more involved in mental health and grief counseling. I will let you know what we decide about Effexor. My sister-in-law bought one of those lights which I hope will help with the depression she says she doesn't have. She bought in hope of soaking up some Vitamin D which she is very low on and cannot take a supplement. I hope her next blood tests prove that to be so.

Jump to this post

So sorry for all you are going through!
As far as being alone and afraid, especially at night, what about one of those help pendants. You know. The one people make fun of "help I've fallen and I can't get up."
I wear one when I am alone because I have an issue of falling.
Just a thought.
Ronnie (GRANDMAr)

@summertime4

Jump to this post

@healthlady22
I’ve taken Anticonvulsants for over 50 years and have had to supplement with numerous ones. I didn’t see that some Seizure meds deplete Vit D.
When I had my Vit D checked it was virtually non existent. Many others were low.
Thank you for posting this.
Jake

@merpreb

@notaround- I have no idea what to say. With allergies like you have you have to take care of yourself! Your allergist hasn't any meds that can help with some of them? Can you get out and walk?

Jump to this post

I do my best. The hardest part is other people though. Some people think I'm lying. As if there was any benefit to this. Or some think I'm just 'being difficult'. So I feel bad in addition to the physical symptoms.

My old allergist told me avoidance is the only treatment. I made an appointment with a new one that said the same thing to manage my expectations but I reiterated that I know I can't be cured. So I'm going to discuss immune suppression. I know it's pretty much the nuclear option but it's better than no human contact and what amounts to agoraphobia.

I did drive out to the forest preserve earlier today. I was the only one walking the iced-over trail so I was OK. I just have to go out when it's too cold for everyone else. Beautiful to me though.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.