Tips on minimizing withdrawal symptoms from Effexor (aka Venlafaxine)

Posted by richyrich @richyrich, Nov 2, 2016

I have been taking Effexor/Venlafaxine for years and tried to get off it a few times but each time I try to give up the chemical withdrawal symptoms are a horror story and I give up giving up. Anyone got any tips or tried and tested strategies? Thank you

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Depression & Anxiety Support Group.

@summertime4

I thank everyone for your input in regards to Effexor. It is excellent feedback. What am I going to do? I don't know as I smile. I will discuss this at length with my medication provider and go from there. I do know that my anxiety climbs extremely high especially at night. I think in part i because now being alone I fear having something happen and no one there to hear me. I don't want to take anything that will make me sleep well for fear of not being able to wake up if something was amiss. I will get more involved in mental health and grief counseling. I will let you know what we decide about Effexor. My sister-in-law bought one of those lights which I hope will help with the depression she says she doesn't have. She bought in hope of soaking up some Vitamin D which she is very low on and cannot take a supplement. I hope her next blood tests prove that to be so.

Jump to this post

@summertime4- Good morning. I have one of those lights and if you follow the directions, you can google it, then you should hopefully be all set. The directions on my light say to do it first thing when you wake up. Start with the lowest light and after a couple of weeks increase the light. Start with 10- 15 minutes. I am not up to 30 minutes on the brightest light. I have not been depressed since.
I have to tell you that I am worried about you being alone too. Have you thought of an assisted living place or senior community?

Hi all, during last 5 months I reduced effexor from 150mg to 18.75mg. I was on 18.75 per day in last month. Not an easy process, but I was so committed to end it. I need advice from those of you who have been there. Should I take 18.75 every other day or make it 9.3mg per day in this phase? And how long do you suggest to continue this phase until full stop? Any help is appreciated

I wouldn't suggest alternating days because Effexor's half-life is so short that you're depriving your system on one day, then resupplying it the next -- a yo-yo effect, so the body doesn't know what to expect or how to adjust. In my opinion, going to a lower dose is more effective than alternating, and then giving your body time to adjust to that. As far as how long, I'd suggest giving it as much time as you've given your other decreased doses. Good for you for getting this far and good luck with the rest of your taper!!

@frediz

Hi all, during last 5 months I reduced effexor from 150mg to 18.75mg. I was on 18.75 per day in last month. Not an easy process, but I was so committed to end it. I need advice from those of you who have been there. Should I take 18.75 every other day or make it 9.3mg per day in this phase? And how long do you suggest to continue this phase until full stop? Any help is appreciated

Jump to this post

@frediz
Hello,
You say “Not an easy process” which leads me to believe you might be having withdrawal symptoms, if so you may have cut down to quickly.
I would never take it on an every other day basis myself but I think someone here has. Maybe they will post what worked for them. My theory is your body needs time to adjust to the new dose, at least 2-6 weeks for each cut. I would cut your dose by a maximum of 10%. So 1.875mg. (38.75-1.875=36.875) Doctors often suggest 50% cuts but most people have withdrawal symptoms at that rate. Just read back on this thread. Some have been suffering for months. More and more researchers are recommending the 5-10% cuts based on your last dose. Some people take 150mg a day and continue to cut 15mg until they’re off but as they get closer to zero they get the percentage skyrockets. It’s obviously your decision if you want go fast and risk a higher chance of withdrawal symptoms or doing it slowly and reducing those chances. I believe if you read back you’ll find going slowly isn’t so bad. Good luck on whatever you decide and fingers are crossed for an uneventful taper.
Blessings, health and happiness,
Jake

Hi all .... can anyone tell me why folks are suddenly wanting to go off Effexor? Reading all this makes me a bit nervous.
abby

@amberpep

Hi all .... can anyone tell me why folks are suddenly wanting to go off Effexor? Reading all this makes me a bit nervous.
abby

Jump to this post

For me, I just want to try to be on a lower dose. I take 150mg in the AM and PM.
I have found a profound change in my memory and ability to lose weight.
I am actually happy with the way Effexor has handled my generalized anxiety on a day to day basis.
There are many reasons why people are trying to come off. I personally believe it is because of the idea of taking a drug that is so addictive and can have HORRIBLE withdrawal symptoms.
Ronnie (GRANDMAr)

@jakedduck1

@frediz
Hello,
You say “Not an easy process” which leads me to believe you might be having withdrawal symptoms, if so you may have cut down to quickly.
I would never take it on an every other day basis myself but I think someone here has. Maybe they will post what worked for them. My theory is your body needs time to adjust to the new dose, at least 2-6 weeks for each cut. I would cut your dose by a maximum of 10%. So 1.875mg. (38.75-1.875=36.875) Doctors often suggest 50% cuts but most people have withdrawal symptoms at that rate. Just read back on this thread. Some have been suffering for months. More and more researchers are recommending the 5-10% cuts based on your last dose. Some people take 150mg a day and continue to cut 15mg until they’re off but as they get closer to zero they get the percentage skyrockets. It’s obviously your decision if you want go fast and risk a higher chance of withdrawal symptoms or doing it slowly and reducing those chances. I believe if you read back you’ll find going slowly isn’t so bad. Good luck on whatever you decide and fingers are crossed for an uneventful taper.
Blessings, health and happiness,
Jake

Jump to this post

I've been cutting my dose by 1/4 of 1 pill at a time.
I start with the new dose every other day for 3 weeks (longer if needed) then I take the new dose every day for 3 weeks (longer if needed).
So far, it has worked for me.
Ronnie (GRANDMAr)

@kbmayo

I wouldn't suggest alternating days because Effexor's half-life is so short that you're depriving your system on one day, then resupplying it the next -- a yo-yo effect, so the body doesn't know what to expect or how to adjust. In my opinion, going to a lower dose is more effective than alternating, and then giving your body time to adjust to that. As far as how long, I'd suggest giving it as much time as you've given your other decreased doses. Good for you for getting this far and good luck with the rest of your taper!!

Jump to this post

Please see my reply.
Ronnie (GRANDMAr)

@amberpep

abby

Jump to this post

@amberpep. I stopped because it had stopped working for me.

@grandmar

Hi All!
I don't want to 'talk' out of place, but I do have something on my mind.
I think it is important that we all have to remember that just because we have a 'bad' or 'good' experience with something does not mean others will have the same experiences.
Most of us are on this particular group site because of our experiences with Effexor. I, myself, and a couple of others are NOT looking to go off of Effexor, but just reduce to a smaller amount without going through horrible withdrawals. Again, not all of us will.
For me, Effexor was a life saver! It got through lots of very rough times in my life like no other medication could. I NEVER counted just on the Effexor to help me with my anxiety (and some depression in later years). I sought out professional psychological help, too. I just found that I was having side-effects like memory loss, that was starting to become bothersome. I kept on contributing it to age (although I wasn't old at all).
All I am saying, is that I believe we all have to do what is good for us, what works for us and what we are comfortable with. There is NO definitive good or bad action we take....it is our OWN.
What I feel I can do here, and in other groups, is just share what my experiences have been. Be another side of the coin.
Here's to us!
Ronnie (GRANDMAr)

Jump to this post

@grandmar- Well said Ronnie!

Please sign in or register to post a reply.