Tips on minimizing withdrawal symptoms from Effexor (aka Venlafaxine)

Posted by richyrich @richyrich, Nov 2, 2016

I have been taking Effexor/Venlafaxine for years and tried to get off it a few times but each time I try to give up the chemical withdrawal symptoms are a horror story and I give up giving up. Anyone got any tips or tried and tested strategies? Thank you

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Depression & Anxiety Support Group.

@texasduchess

@jdemet
I have definitely read while researching and many times on this site that Effexor caused sweating. Oddly, at low dosages, it curtails sweating which is why many breast cancer patients who cannot take hormones are given Effexor when menopausal hot flashes start. (I was on 25mg for this very reason.)

In researching and on this site, I have also read about the "numbness" of feelings effect. This is cited many times as why someone wants off Effexor.

You are very fortunate to be working with a psychiatrist to get off Effexor. I have been unable to find one (I am in the DFW Metroplex!); I'd like to work with someone who has familiarity with these drugs and getting people on/off them. My oncologist has 35 years' experience and has put hundreds of women patients on Effexor, but I am the only one who has told him of having difficulties with Effexor withdrawal. He is working with me, but we're both newbies to this.

Jump to this post

I would ask your oncologist to consult with colleagues. In a place as big as DFW, there is a lot of expertise...and my impression is that many oncology groups have psychiatrists and psychologists in the mix. If that doesn't work, what about seeking a referral from one of the local cancer groups?

@renwald

I’ve found this habit of short time frames and concern only with pharmacies reactions to be consistent in a number of states and psychiatrists. After a while, one can’t help but notice a pattern emerging.

Jump to this post

Psychiatrists don't necessarily get a lot of training in psychotherapy....but your observation is correct...many focus on psychopharmacology and leave the rest to other mental health professionals. One has to ask or do some research on the psychiatrist ahead of time....but having a referral from another mental health professional - or even your PCP can help.

@kbingham2018

any advise on how to wean when you are taking capsules and don't want to go and get smaller dose. I have been opening the capsules and emptying some out for 2 weeks now and tried to stop and it was BAD. Are all meds like this so hard to stop taking?

Jump to this post

It's difficult to count beads because the number and size vary from capsule to capsule...the easiest should be to call the doctors office and make the request for lower dose capsules - but know that 37.5mg is the lowest...but you might see if the doc is okay with taking it every other day or some other taper. In my experience, it helped to hold at the same dosage (in my case 37.5mg) for a few weeks instead of the one week as originally planned.

Not all of the SSRIs/SNRIs are difficult to taper....but just as many people have side effects getting on....you get to revisit what you had on your way off.

@renwald

You went totally off after how long on it.

Jump to this post

I was on effexor for twenty years.

@catamite

I was on effexor for twenty years.

Jump to this post

I ripped the bandaid off yesterday...was on lowest dose for weeks...im taking some stuff the ER gave me for headache and they also recommend Benadryl which seem to help as well...no brain zaps yet,which usually showers you within a couple of hrs of not taking med. Well at least for me it does...

@catamite

Every day I just make it a priority to take care of myself. I am scheduling nothing so that I can take it as it comes. I just lost a very good friend because I backed out of a plan we had made to get together. I don't bother to explain as it is not something that anyone will understand easily. Even my children are unaware of what is going on with me. I am way too tired to explain.

Jump to this post

@catamite
Congrats on your determination to come off Effexor.
I can understand why you don't want to announce what you are doing.
However, I personally think it is important to tell someone, even your child.
You want someone to be aware of what you are doing just in case the person see something strange about you.
Again, it is just my opinion.
Ronnie (GRANDMAr)

@catamite

I was on 225mg of effexor for 20 years. Started trying to get off in May of 2018. Went like this: 225>150mg>75mg>37.5mh>12mg>0. This over 5 months. I took my time. What is the hurry.

Jump to this post

@catamite
Thank you for sharing the schedule you used to wean off the Effexor.
By doing it so slowly, how were the aide effects each time you went lower?

I think I am getting closer to coming off the Effexor, too.
I am going to do is VEREY SLOWLY!!
I see it like many others, there is NOT rush.
Ronnie

@youngsally

Psychiatrists don't necessarily get a lot of training in psychotherapy....but your observation is correct...many focus on psychopharmacology and leave the rest to other mental health professionals. One has to ask or do some research on the psychiatrist ahead of time....but having a referral from another mental health professional - or even your PCP can help.

Jump to this post

@youngsally
Good Morning,
It is my understanding that psychiatrists are used to manage psychotropic drugs.
Psychologists and social workers conduct the therapy part.
Since they are NOT medical doctors like the psychiatrist, they cannot write scripts.
You will do some talking with the psychiatrist, too.
The purpose of that is to help determine if your meds are the right dosage or even the correct medicine.
The psychiatrist tries to "match" up your behaviors and feelings from visit to visit.
That is why it is VERY IMPORTANT to be honest with the doctor and tell him/her everything.
Hope this is useful!
Ronnie (GRANDMAr)

@grandmar

@youngsally
Good Morning,
It is my understanding that psychiatrists are used to manage psychotropic drugs.
Psychologists and social workers conduct the therapy part.
Since they are NOT medical doctors like the psychiatrist, they cannot write scripts.
You will do some talking with the psychiatrist, too.
The purpose of that is to help determine if your meds are the right dosage or even the correct medicine.
The psychiatrist tries to "match" up your behaviors and feelings from visit to visit.
That is why it is VERY IMPORTANT to be honest with the doctor and tell him/her everything.
Hope this is useful!
Ronnie (GRANDMAr)

Jump to this post

Your observations have been correct for a long time but that has begun to change. There are a number of states that have begun allowing psychologists to prescribe medicines that heretofore would have been only allowed to MD or DO.

@youngsally

It's difficult to count beads because the number and size vary from capsule to capsule...the easiest should be to call the doctors office and make the request for lower dose capsules - but know that 37.5mg is the lowest...but you might see if the doc is okay with taking it every other day or some other taper. In my experience, it helped to hold at the same dosage (in my case 37.5mg) for a few weeks instead of the one week as originally planned.

Not all of the SSRIs/SNRIs are difficult to taper....but just as many people have side effects getting on....you get to revisit what you had on your way off.

Jump to this post

I use generic venalafaxine and it’s is in tablets that can be broken in half easily. Quarters require a little more effort but it might be better that capsule division

Please sign in or register to post a reply.