Tips on minimizing withdrawal symptoms from Effexor (aka Venlafaxine)

Posted by richyrich @richyrich, Nov 2, 2016

I have been taking Effexor/Venlafaxine for years and tried to get off it a few times but each time I try to give up the chemical withdrawal symptoms are a horror story and I give up giving up. Anyone got any tips or tried and tested strategies? Thank you

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Depression & Anxiety Support Group.

@kbingham2018

any advise on how to wean when you are taking capsules and don't want to go and get smaller dose. I have been opening the capsules and emptying some out for 2 weeks now and tried to stop and it was BAD. Are all meds like this so hard to stop taking?

Jump to this post

I'm down to my last few days -- 4 more, to be exact -- and I've done the whole thing by opening the capsules and counting out beads. When I get fully off, I'll post my taper schedule. I do know it's different for each of us, but so far -- knock on wood!! -- it's been relatively painless physically. (Emotionally and mentally is another story, but I think that's unavoidable.) I'm coming off a daily dose of 150 XR, so it's taken me a while. But I know TOTALLY what a bitch it is to count out those tiny beads!! I was so tempted more than once to just say the hell with it and quit. But having experienced the brain zaps and other physical symptoms a few times when I didn't get my scrip renewed in time, I decided to hang in there and count the damn beads!!

@kbmayo

I'm down to my last few days -- 4 more, to be exact -- and I've done the whole thing by opening the capsules and counting out beads. When I get fully off, I'll post my taper schedule. I do know it's different for each of us, but so far -- knock on wood!! -- it's been relatively painless physically. (Emotionally and mentally is another story, but I think that's unavoidable.) I'm coming off a daily dose of 150 XR, so it's taken me a while. But I know TOTALLY what a bitch it is to count out those tiny beads!! I was so tempted more than once to just say the hell with it and quit. But having experienced the brain zaps and other physical symptoms a few times when I didn't get my scrip renewed in time, I decided to hang in there and count the damn beads!!

Jump to this post

I have been without effexor for 12 days now. Some days I feel okay and others I feel horrible. My symptoms are most;y nausea and great fatigue. Crying jags are frequemt. Also, I was just diagnosed with high blood pressure. I wonder if this too is a withdrawl thing. I have begun to question why it is so important to me to keep off this drug. When will I start to feel human again?

@kbmayo

Jump to this post

Every day I just make it a priority to take care of myself. I am scheduling nothing so that I can take it as it comes. I just lost a very good friend because I backed out of a plan we had made to get together. I don't bother to explain as it is not something that anyone will understand easily. Even my children are unaware of what is going on with me. I am way too tired to explain.

@kbmayo

Jump to this post

Good luck to you.

@kbmayo

Jump to this post

@kbmayo I am so impressed by you and all the others who have gone through this. It takes a huge commitment and strength. Congratulations on being in the last lap.
JK

@kbmayo

Jump to this post

Look forward to your observations. Hopefully they are great months afterward, especially when you hit stress triggers.

@catamite

Every day I just make it a priority to take care of myself. I am scheduling nothing so that I can take it as it comes. I just lost a very good friend because I backed out of a plan we had made to get together. I don't bother to explain as it is not something that anyone will understand easily. Even my children are unaware of what is going on with me. I am way too tired to explain.

Jump to this post

I agree and am glad you’re handling it. I think The experiences and conditions related to this are difficult for others to really understand. People often have their own problems and proliorities in front of them so understanding, let alone trying to take on, the burden of another is incomplete at best.

@catamite

I have been without effexor for 12 days now. Some days I feel okay and others I feel horrible. My symptoms are most;y nausea and great fatigue. Crying jags are frequemt. Also, I was just diagnosed with high blood pressure. I wonder if this too is a withdrawl thing. I have begun to question why it is so important to me to keep off this drug. When will I start to feel human again?

Jump to this post

You went totally off after how long on it.

@renwald

You went totally off after how long on it.

Jump to this post

I was on 225mg of effexor for 20 years. Started trying to get off in May of 2018. Went like this: 225>150mg>75mg>37.5mh>12mg>0. This over 5 months. I took my time. What is the hurry.

Wow!! I did it identical....

Please sign in or register to post a reply.