This and That and Talk - My Transplant

Posted by Rosemary, Volunteer Mentor @rosemarya, Apr 9, 2017

As our Mayo Connect community grows, I am constantly meeting organ transplant members on a wide variety of forums with a wide range of issues that are not directly transplant specific. However, because we are all transplant recipients, we have a special connection: a unique journey and best of all - a new life! We don't always need help or advice. Many times we just want to chat with someone like us! That is my purpose in starting This and That and Talk.

Drop in and say 'Hi'. You are welcome anytime.

What do you want t to talk about? What words can you offer to someone who is on the journey? Do you have any questions for another recipient?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Transplants Support Group.

@threerrr3

I caught that and I’m post transplant and still coughing after 2 months ! A lot better but still a nagging cough !

Jump to this post

threerrr3, That crud must be everywhere again this year. Are you able to take anything if the cough gets too bothersome? With your post transplant history, you must already know what is approved for you.
I hope you feel better soon.

@rosemarya

So, this year you can celebrate that the transplant has already happened! It is amazing how much can change in a year.
I am sorry to hear that you and your husband are 'under the weather'. I do hope that you will feel better by Christmas, too.

I am getting over a cold. I have been so careful to avoid crowds and using my hand sanitizer, but a week after my husband came down with a cough and cold symptoms, I was suffering, too. I have observed, since my transplant, that I take a longer time to get over the symptoms. It took me a while to realize that it would be my new normal.
Will your transplant allow you to take anything for the cough?

Jump to this post

Yes, this year being post transplant is a wonderful thing! I’m still amazed when I think of it.
My transplant nurse team recommended Robitussin without DM and drinking black tea with honey and or lemon, which I do quite often. I caught my cold from my husband too. Kind of hard when you live with someone to avoid their germs.

@rosemarya

threerrr3, That crud must be everywhere again this year. Are you able to take anything if the cough gets too bothersome? With your post transplant history, you must already know what is approved for you.

Jump to this post

Two months and still coughing. Ugh, that’s discouraging. I was used to seldom getting colds. I think it’s been about 2 years. It’s a trade off, I guess. , but things could be worse.

@cmael

Two months and still coughing. Ugh, that’s discouraging. I was used to seldom getting colds. I think it’s been about 2 years. It’s a trade off, I guess. , but things could be worse.

Jump to this post

Threerrr3, Have you talked to your doctor about it lingering so long? There could be something else going on that is prolonging the cough.
My own rule/decision point is that is my PCP says it should be better in 10 days, I will plan on 15 days.

@cmael

Jump to this post

cmael, We can just do our best to avoid exposure to germs. Our immune systems are knocked down to preserve our organs. Maybe someday there will be another way to prevent rejection!
I am very fortunate to have friends who stay away from me when they have something! The times that I feel real bad is when we have had to avoid seeing our granddaughter because she had a bad cold. 😢

@rosemarya

Jump to this post

They told me to take over the counter cough syrup.. but they also gave me them pearl cough pills that have a prescription .. but nothing really works .. I almost feel like I’m getting it back and it never really went away !! Oh no !!

@cmael

Jump to this post

This is not normal for me though ! After transplant for how many years I never got sick ...hardly ever !! So last year I got the flu for the first time and that last over a week and then this which I had pneumonia and bronchitis with the cough .. so I think my immune system is not what it use to be ... but like I said I’m waiting on my kidney transplant and things aren’t working in my body like they did a few years ago ...so I just hope to get rid of this before March !!

@cmael

Yes, last year was pretty typical of our usual Christmas activities...Christmas Eve at our son’s and Christmas morning at our house for Belgian waffles. We didn’t have a date for the transplant yet because my daughter had her testing planned for Jan. The idea of me having a transplant seemed so surreal. I had a hard time believing it was actually going to happen. I didn’t think I was that sick yet, despite the test results. Today I can sure see the difference.
However, this year my husband has pneumonia and I’ve been fighting a nasty cold for two weeks with an unrelenting cough. Hoping to feel better by Christmas.
🤞

Jump to this post

@cmael I often use the word surreal when speaking of my transplant, the whole thing is so extraordinary.

Get well to all of you fighting colds! I had one this year that lasted and lasted. I think as Rosemary commented, it does take longer to fight it off when you are on immunosuppressants. That, of course, makes perfect sense. Right now I am healthy though, so thankful for that. The coming week is going to be very busy and social so I hope I manage to not catch anything then.
Stay well!
JK

@contentandwell

@cmael I often use the word surreal when speaking of my transplant, the whole thing is so extraordinary.

Get well to all of you fighting colds! I had one this year that lasted and lasted. I think as Rosemary commented, it does take longer to fight it off when you are on immunosuppressants. That, of course, makes perfect sense. Right now I am healthy though, so thankful for that. The coming week is going to be very busy and social so I hope I manage to not catch anything then.
Stay well!
JK

Jump to this post

To JK, and all recipients -
Remember that it IS okay to say, "No" and to step away from the hustle and bustle when it begins to be too much. Go ahead and squeeze in a short nap when you need one!
I made my final (I hope) shopping stop today! I am already dreading the final grocery run on Monday morning.

@rosemarya

To JK, and all recipients -
Remember that it IS okay to say, "No" and to step away from the hustle and bustle when it begins to be too much. Go ahead and squeeze in a short nap when you need one!
I made my final (I hope) shopping stop today! I am already dreading the final grocery run on Monday morning.

Jump to this post

@rosemarya Yep, as I mentioned to @retiredteacher, I did step away and go the gym. That really helped.

I'm with you, I hope I can remember everything I need to get in the store on Monday. We always go to a friend's home on Christmas Eve and I will be bringing something there, we are going for a casual meal to my sister's on Christmas, and again I will be bringing some things along, and I really do not want to have to do much shopping on Wednesday morning for our own Christmas celebration with dinner for 10.
It sounds like you are staying at home Rosemary. Are your children joining you? If so how large a group will you be having?
JK

Please sign in or register to post a reply.