This and That and Talk - My Transplant

Posted by Rosemary, Volunteer Mentor @rosemarya, Apr 9, 2017

As our Mayo Connect community grows, I am constantly meeting organ transplant members on a wide variety of forums with a wide range of issues that are not directly transplant specific. However, because we are all transplant recipients, we have a special connection: a unique journey and best of all - a new life! We don't always need help or advice. Many times we just want to chat with someone like us! That is my purpose in starting This and That and Talk.

Drop in and say 'Hi'. You are welcome anytime.

What do you want t to talk about? What words can you offer to someone who is on the journey? Do you have any questions for another recipient?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Transplants Support Group.

@contentandwell

@rosemarya This is excellent. I think I will print it out when I have more time.
I think the trick of soaking berries in water with white vinegar is a good one for us too. The berries keep longer because the vinegar kills off any spores but even when the berries are fresh that should be a help I think. After thoroughly rinsing there is no vinegar taste.
JK

Jump to this post

I think I saw where you could request the brocure. But I am not able to locate that source right now.
If anybody discovers how to order it - Please share it with us.

Happy and Safe eating to all 🥗

@rosemarya

taarthi, I am pleased that you are feeling better! I want you to remember that you do not have to go thru this alone. Mayo Connect is open 24/7.
I, too, enjoy reading all of the responses. I am a 9 year recipient, and I continue to learn and be inspired by what I read. This is a magnificent group of people who are all experts by experience!

Keep checking in, and don't hesitate to ask, ask, ask!
Please stay in touch, and updated on your experience.
Hugs.

Jump to this post

Thank you very much!! Means a lot 🙂

@jodeej

I love leftovers too! I have some chili I had frozen thawing in the refrigerator for supper tonight. If possible I put leftovers in the freezer to enjoy later. My husband will eat some, but not all. So sadly I end up tossing quite a few of I don't get them eaten myself.

Jump to this post

@jodeej Thankfully my husband does not mind leftovers at all. I have not frozen chili, do the beans come out OK? Meatballs and sauce is big here so when I make it I make a huge pot and have enough to freeze about four additional meals for two. When we were in Denver visiting our son, it was a requirement that I make a huge pot of meatballs and sauce.
JK

@contentandwell

@jodeej Thankfully my husband does not mind leftovers at all. I have not frozen chili, do the beans come out OK? Meatballs and sauce is big here so when I make it I make a huge pot and have enough to freeze about four additional meals for two. When we were in Denver visiting our son, it was a requirement that I make a huge pot of meatballs and sauce.
JK

Jump to this post

@contentandwell chili freezes great as does beef stew and potato soup. They are some of my favorites too make and freeze for meals later. 🙂

@jodeej

@contentandwell chili freezes great as does beef stew and potato soup. They are some of my favorites too make and freeze for meals later. 🙂

Jump to this post

@jodeej thanks for the tips. Anything that lets me not have to cook occasionally is great. I used to love to cook, but for just two of us it's not as much fun.
JK

@contentandwell

JK

Jump to this post

@contentandwell In my house leftovers are called "rightunders". Used to have a dog that knew what leftovers meant and also "walk". She would go crazy when she heard either one! Homemade spaghetti sauce, meatballs, chili, stew, most soups - love those in the cooler weather! All are great to freeze and pull out when you need a quick meal or a break from cooking.
Ginger

@contentandwell

@jodeej thanks for the tips. Anything that lets me not have to cook occasionally is great. I used to love to cook, but for just two of us it's not as much fun.
JK

Jump to this post

@contentandwell @gingerw I am not a huge fan of coming, but I don't mind if I have time. My husband is quite picky so I can't experiment with new recipes, which is frustrating. I'll ask if he will try something and he will be all for it until I actually want to make it... Lol

@jodeej

@contentandwell @gingerw I am not a huge fan of coming, but I don't mind if I have time. My husband is quite picky so I can't experiment with new recipes, which is frustrating. I'll ask if he will try something and he will be all for it until I actually want to make it... Lol

Jump to this post

@jodeej My husband is somewhat similar to yours but I have introduced some healthy versions of things. As I told him, if he would like to cook it himself, he's welcome to. After his transplant there are so many things he can have, while I need to follow a renal diet.
Ginger

@gingerw

@contentandwell In my house leftovers are called "rightunders". Used to have a dog that knew what leftovers meant and also "walk". She would go crazy when she heard either one! Homemade spaghetti sauce, meatballs, chili, stew, most soups - love those in the cooler weather! All are great to freeze and pull out when you need a quick meal or a break from cooking.
Ginger

Jump to this post

@gingerw I agree, they are great now that the weather is cooler. My husband was feeling deprived because I had not made meatballs and sauce in a while. If I give him soup though, he then says "ok, what's for dinner?"
JK

@rosemarya

taarthi, I am pleased that you are feeling better! I want you to remember that you do not have to go thru this alone. Mayo Connect is open 24/7.
I, too, enjoy reading all of the responses. I am a 9 year recipient, and I continue to learn and be inspired by what I read. This is a magnificent group of people who are all experts by experience!

Keep checking in, and don't hesitate to ask, ask, ask!
Please stay in touch, and updated on your experience.
Hugs.

Jump to this post

taarthi, I saw this and I thought of you. Maybe it will give you and your husband as you both prepare for surgery.

Countdown to Living Donor Surgery: Key Steps
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/page/transplant/newsfeed/countdown-to-living-donor-surgery-key-steps/

Please sign in or register to post a reply.