This and That and Talk - My Transplant

Posted by Rosemary, Volunteer Mentor @rosemarya, Apr 9, 2017

As our Mayo Connect community grows, I am constantly meeting organ transplant members on a wide variety of forums with a wide range of issues that are not directly transplant specific. However, because we are all transplant recipients, we have a special connection: a unique journey and best of all - a new life! We don't always need help or advice. Many times we just want to chat with someone like us! That is my purpose in starting This and That and Talk.

Drop in and say 'Hi'. You are welcome anytime.

What do you want t to talk about? What words can you offer to someone who is on the journey? Do you have any questions for another recipient?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Transplants Support Group.

@cmael

Just sharing something I found when I got home from Rochester after my transplant. My oldest daughter, not the donor, had made a few of these and posted them in the kitchen and bathroom. My husband has memory problems and this helped both of us. I think

Jump to this post

That is a fantastic idea! Your daughter is very clever.
Thanks for sharing:-)

@cmael

Just sharing something I found when I got home from Rochester after my transplant. My oldest daughter, not the donor, had made a few of these and posted them in the kitchen and bathroom. My husband has memory problems and this helped both of us. I think

Jump to this post

@cmael @rosemarya is two days a limit that Mayo suggests? I don’t recall that being mentioned at MGH. I know I have gone three days.
JK

@cmael

Jump to this post

@cmael what a fantastic idea! I am tempted to put up a few in our house. Lol My husband tends to get a little lazy sometimes since his transplant. Sigh

@contentandwell

@cmael @rosemarya is two days a limit that Mayo suggests? I don’t recall that being mentioned at MGH. I know I have gone three days.
JK

Jump to this post

@contentandwell if I remember correctly they said no longer than 3.

Here is the resource that was given to me in my post transplant information. It is a brochure put out by the US Department of Agriculture called: "Food Safety for Transplant Recipients: A need-to-know guide for bone marrow and solid organ transplant recipients."

You can find it at https://www.fsis.usda.gov/shared/PDF/Food_Safety_for_Transplant_Recipients.pdf

@rosemarya
Guess I'm ahead of the game...I detest leftovers. If it's not fresh made even by me..I don't eat it
One good thing about being a picky eater as a child. When in doubt..throw it out

@rosemarya

Here is the resource that was given to me in my post transplant information. It is a brochure put out by the US Department of Agriculture called: "Food Safety for Transplant Recipients: A need-to-know guide for bone marrow and solid organ transplant recipients."

You can find it at https://www.fsis.usda.gov/shared/PDF/Food_Safety_for_Transplant_Recipients.pdf

Jump to this post

@rosemarya This is excellent. I think I will print it out when I have more time.
I think the trick of soaking berries in water with white vinegar is a good one for us too. The berries keep longer because the vinegar kills off any spores but even when the berries are fresh that should be a help I think. After thoroughly rinsing there is no vinegar taste.
JK

@jeanne5009

@rosemarya
Guess I'm ahead of the game...I detest leftovers. If it's not fresh made even by me..I don't eat it
One good thing about being a picky eater as a child. When in doubt..throw it out

Jump to this post

@jeanne5009 I love leftovers -- a night off from cooking! If I am cooking anything that can be reheated I always cook enough for two nights.
JK

@contentandwell

@rosemarya This is excellent. I think I will print it out when I have more time.
I think the trick of soaking berries in water with white vinegar is a good one for us too. The berries keep longer because the vinegar kills off any spores but even when the berries are fresh that should be a help I think. After thoroughly rinsing there is no vinegar taste.
JK

Jump to this post

@contentandwell My mind is playing tricks on me. I read "smores", not "spores". Immediately I thought "ewww, vinegar and smores?.."
Ginger (having a desire for chocolate when you don't like it in the first place, and it is verboten in the second place, is wierd)

@contentandwell

@jeanne5009 I love leftovers -- a night off from cooking! If I am cooking anything that can be reheated I always cook enough for two nights.
JK

Jump to this post

I love leftovers too! I have some chili I had frozen thawing in the refrigerator for supper tonight. If possible I put leftovers in the freezer to enjoy later. My husband will eat some, but not all. So sadly I end up tossing quite a few of I don't get them eaten myself.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.