I suffer from solanine poisoning derived from night shade fruits / vegetables. Since age of 14. With joint swellings and aches. Keen to learn about this and eventual remedies other than abstinence
Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Bones, Joints & Muscles Support Group.
Hello, and Welcome to Mayo Connect.
I am really curious about your situation. I am aware of the danger of solanine poisoning from eating green potatoes and excess of other solanine containing foods, but believed it to be a temporary situation, and that the body would eliminate the toxins over a few weeks. I never heard of long term solanine poisoning, but I am sure you can explain for me.
Were you severely ill or overdosed on solanine over a period of time? Or do you have a solanine intolerance or food allergy? What happened when you were 14, and how has the long term effect been diagnosed?
Hello @korallus, I would like to add my welcome to Connect along with @sueinmn. I have no medical training or background but the word poison to me means avoidance and learning more about how it happens so that I can avoid the poisoning. I was not aware of solanine poisoning so did some reading and found these articles which you may have already seen.
-- Solanine poisoning – how does it happen?: https://www.canr.msu.edu/news/solanine_poisoning_how_does_it_happen
-- "Control. Solanine is not removed by boiling, but it can be destroyed by frying. Solanine poisoning is uncommon as cooks and the public are aware of the problem and tend to avoid green potatoes, in any case, consumption of up to 5 g of green potato per kg body weight per day does not appear to cause acute illness." -- Solanine - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics: https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/nursing-and-health-professions/solanine
You mentioned you suffer from solanine poisoning. Are you being treated by a doctor?
My condition is relatively mild in that it comes and goes in accordance with consumption of night shade produce. There is no cure or known remedy. There appears to be very limited research. My hope is that someone within the Mayo network can help shed some light.
Jump to this post
I would say that sounds more like a food intolerance, sensitivity or allergy than a form of poisoning such as is described in the article https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/321883
The article includes some suggestions for diagnosis, as well as food substitutes.
Does this sound like what you experience? Have you been seen by an allergist?
My reason for posting here on the mayo clinic forum is to hopefully get some medical expert views. This condition is known to medicine, however is not well researched or understood. Some people react with gastric issues and others like me have symptoms similar to arthritis with joint pain. I’m hoping that someone has experience with this and can help give some advice as to potential remedies. I know full well that abstinence is a solution, however I do not want to give up on eating tomatoes, peppers, potatoes and aubergine. I have been suggested to take cherry extract as an eventual remedy to counter the inflammatory reaction.
I will also add my welcome @korallus. This is quite interesting, and admittedly, not something I was familiar with prior to your post either.
I noticed that you shared your interest in posting to Connect is to get some expert views. This community is made up of members like you who are not medically trained but coming to get support from others like them.
What correlation is there to the foods you mentioned above that you don't wish to have to eliminate from your diet?
Looks like this post is fading into the past, but in case anyone is still looking, was anyone able to answer the question? I had severe nightshade poisoning when I was a child, this has left me with an acute reaction to nightshade vegetables and illness for up to 2 weeks at a time with a long list of uncomfortable symptoms.
Like korallus, I know abstinace is a soution, but in reality it is extremely hard to avoid alkaloids in any food that is processed or cooked by someone else, ingredients cant be trusted on any packaging. So any form of treatment, for leaky and inflamed gut, or dampening of the effects of solanine or lectin is extremely desirable. Any treatment, however mild would be a boon..
I also have issues with nightshades. It does not pull on allergy scans, both blood and skin. There is almost no information on this and all the care i have sought out has been in vane. What i have learned … its worsened by stress. Modified food starch has solanine in it (probably potato and this got worse with the attention to gluten, potato instead of wheat). I take an allegra and a formotadine (pepcid) to reduce my symptoms and live a normal life at times. I feel better eating in other countries. My guess is on the lack of stress and two; nicotine is used as a pesticide along with other nightshades. I assume they are more common in large scale farming of the usa.
My symptoms are:
Sores on my tounge. Specifically the tip
White throat- cigarette smoke does this quickly
Sore joints and arthritis
Anxiety- shortened temper
Depression and lack of motivation
A bad hangover feeling in my body
Anything sysco brand
Modified food starch
Paprika-seriously my kryptonite
Breakfast places-often one grill
Any wait staff that says “i know what nightshades are”. Typically these people poison me. Heck I poison myself often.
I am still battling with this and it seams to be getting harder. The pnw loves potatoes and paprika. Makes eating out difficult. The fresher the better as far as restaurants go. Its more money but less processed foods. Also i feel that the later it is added to the dish the better.
I agree that the fresher the better. Also, if you want to avoid nightshades, Lebanese/Middle Eastern (except tabouli) Mexican/Central American with mole style sauces and Brazilian foods containing cassava (or yuca) and sweet potatoes/yams are great options. We find choosing salads with olive oil/ balsamic vinegar works well.
Maybe there should be a thread on common food allergies or sensitivities. A culprit that can be really toxic and a lot of people don't seem to know about is mango, which is in the poison ivy family. People who are allergic, can be very allergic. A friend's daughter ended up in the ER after touching the skin of a mango. And had not been sensitive to mango prior to that.
Connect with thousands of patients and caregivers for support and answers.
Already have an account? Sign In