Sigmoid colon resection: What to expect for recovery?

Posted by virgo1952 @virgo1952, Dec 1, 2019

It’s been 4+weeks since my resection. Found a cancerous polyp during a routine screening. Some frustration over the lack of information given by the surgeon as to what to expect afterwards. Late 60’s so I know the healing will take time. Mostly, struggling with bowel urgency/frequency and experiencing stomach pain from gas (pretty sure) is three months s realistic time frame for returning to “normal”? I’ve seen some posts that talk about two years? No further treatment so I was lucky. If anyone has had this surgery and went through or is going through the healing process, I would love to hear from you. Just kind of out there.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Colorectal Cancer Support Group.

Colon cancer caused me to have a resection. 1 foot of colon removed

Done laparoscopically so no major cut or scar

Recovery was 1 week in hospital to allow healing and progressing through soft to firmer foods

Key was to have gas/ bowel movement’s to ensure digestive system was ok

Post recovery was no lifting over 10 lbs. watch diet , take walks to assist healing

Very successful surgery with minimal pain afterwards

Hope this helps.

It has been one year since my surgery. I am still healing but the latest colonoscopy shows no sign of trouble. Patience will be your biggest friend. I am still having trouble with bowel movements and leaking which is uncontrollable. Being able to see progress is my savior. Try to see the slow progress you are experiencing day by day, week by week and month by month instead of expecting an overnight recovery. I agree there is not enough information from the doctors explaining the recovery process. It definitely is a long time process and a year at the minimum. Try to see the progress instead of the full recovery as you are healing.

@patriotspride

Colon cancer caused me to have a resection. 1 foot of colon removed

Done laparoscopically so no major cut or scar

Recovery was 1 week in hospital to allow healing and progressing through soft to firmer foods

Key was to have gas/ bowel movement’s to ensure digestive system was ok

Post recovery was no lifting over 10 lbs. watch diet , take walks to assist healing

Very successful surgery with minimal pain afterwards

Hope this helps.

Jump to this post

Hello @patriotspride,
Your case is sounding hopeful to me. I am reading so many reports of lengthy recoveries, with uncontrollable diarrhea, and not being able to leave the house, etc... Did you have a sigmoid resection?
And, I know this is most likely a question for the surgeon--what happens to the nerves that surround the sigmoid colon? Are they sacrificed, and that why incontinence happens?

Mine was in the ascending colon. 1 foot removed .

Never had nerve or incontinence issues

I had a new tumor occur in the sigmoid which resulted in my ostomy due to some new cells on the rear abdominal wall and a small tumor still between my bladder and rectum.

Being treated with 6 courses. And then surgery

I’m a stage 4 survivor who made 2 years in remission and did 600 hours of chemo post that resection and Hi Pec surgery so can say the resection went well

Now facing challenge 2 with cancer and it’s been very rough so far.

Wishing you success in your journey

@eyeart

Hello @patriotspride,
Your case is sounding hopeful to me. I am reading so many reports of lengthy recoveries, with uncontrollable diarrhea, and not being able to leave the house, etc... Did you have a sigmoid resection?
And, I know this is most likely a question for the surgeon--what happens to the nerves that surround the sigmoid colon? Are they sacrificed, and that why incontinence happens?

Jump to this post

@eyeart (and @patriotspride) ,
Did you have the surgery? My dr told me NOTHING about the side effects I am reading about here, and now I am terrified! I am scheduled to have about a foot of my sigmoid colon removed laparoscopically later this month. I have had four bouts of diverticulitis over the past five years or so. The most recent one put me in the hospital for three days on 24-hr IV antibiotics, and I have been on two different antibiotics since coming home two weeks ago. I am an otherwise very healthy 57-yr-old woman. I was told I could go back slowly to a regular diet starting about two weeks after surgery and that I shouldn’t have any issues. That is NOT what I am seeing here! My job requires me to meet with people daily and to make presentations in front of important executives. I cannot stop in the middle of a presentation to run out of the room, hoping to make it to the bathroom in time. I am hoping some of you can reassure me that scenario isn’t likely. If not, I will be canceling this surgery!

@lapg22

Did you have the surgery? My dr told me NOTHING about the side effects I am reading about here, and now I am terrified! I am scheduled to have about a foot of my sigmoid colon removed laparoscopically later this month. I have had four bouts of diverticulitis over the past five years or so. The most recent one put me in the hospital for three days on 24-hr IV antibiotics, and I have been on two different antibiotics since coming home two weeks ago. I am an otherwise very healthy 57-yr-old woman. I was told I could go back slowly to a regular diet starting about two weeks after surgery and that I shouldn’t have any issues. That is NOT what I am seeing here! My job requires me to meet with people daily and to make presentations in front of important executives. I cannot stop in the middle of a presentation to run out of the room, hoping to make it to the bathroom in time. I am hoping some of you can reassure me that scenario isn’t likely. If not, I will be canceling this surgery!

Jump to this post

Hi @lapg22 , I have not had the surgery yet--but I feel fairly committed to scheduling it. I seem to have a flareup every month or two--they are getting closer together, and more painful. I have a phone appointment with the surgeon in a couple of weeks.
I took another look at the comments here on Mayo, and I have decided that many of them are from people who are on the mend. A lot of the people who are having problematic outcomes have other underlying medical issues. I am feeling that I will do OK.
Be sure and ask your surgeon how many sigmoidectomies they have performed, and how many have experienced complications. Bring up the complications that concern you, and ask for clarity. That's what I intend to do when I finally get him on the phone. If you are relatively healthy, it should go OK. You will need time off, for sure.

@lapg22

Jump to this post

I had a resection of 1 foot of my colon 2 years ago. It worked out well . Yes you will gradually be able to manage a normal diet.

Re running the the bathroom. You won’t be released until your Dr is assured that your system is working normally

Wishing you success

@lapg22

Jump to this post

I had my colon resection surgery on Sept 28th of this year, and it went very well. I am a very healthy 71 year old woman. A foot of my colon was removed laparoscopically due to a cancerous polyp that was found in a routine colonoscopy. I was in the hospital for four days...a little longer than normal I understand, but I live two hours from the hospital, and my surgeon wanted to make sure all was well. The first day after surgery was not bad, as the nerve blocks had not quite worn off yet. The second and third days were a bit difficult. You might expect diarrhea those days with a bloody look to it. Scared me, but normal after surgery. I watched my diet for two weeks after, until I was given the ok to go back to normal after my follow up appt. I was told to be very careful about lifting for six weeks. I work full time in sales and interior design, so I had your same concerns. I was back to work two weeks after surgery, and I found out that a teaspoon of psyllium in 8 oz of water daily solved my problems. I wish you the very best.

I just had a foot resection of my sigmoid about 3 months ago at John’s Hopkins and stayed there for a week.

Wasn’t released until the Dr made sure the system was back to normal. I get constipated once in a while now but, everything is back to normal and never run into the situations I read here.

Wish you the best !

@lapg22

Jump to this post

@lapg22
I had a large tumor in my sigmoid and upper part of my rectum, it was found in February. I had a very short course of radiation then surgery, where I had a lower anterior resection. And an ileostomy for 6 months. At the end of September I had the ileostomy reversed and after 2 nights in the hospital (and moving my bowels) I went home.
Please don’t be worried by what you read here and other online sources. I felt the same way - scared- and then I realized that only the people with problems usually post online. That’s a very small section of those who’ve had this surgery!
I am almost 8 weeks past my surgery, and it’s wonderful (finally!)
I take Immodium every morning, and I tsp. of Metamucil in a bit of water after I eat. Right after the surgery I had a few accidents, but I bought some Depends and just let my body relearn the new plumbing.
I’m finally going back to work in 2 weeks!
Don’t worry, you’ll do great. And feel SO much better afterwards.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.