Sigmoid colon resection: What to expect for recovery?

Posted by virgo1952 @virgo1952, Dec 1, 2019

It’s been 4+weeks since my resection. Found a cancerous polyp during a routine screening. Some frustration over the lack of information given by the surgeon as to what to expect afterwards. Late 60’s so I know the healing will take time. Mostly, struggling with bowel urgency/frequency and experiencing stomach pain from gas (pretty sure) is three months s realistic time frame for returning to “normal”? I’ve seen some posts that talk about two years? No further treatment so I was lucky. If anyone has had this surgery and went through or is going through the healing process, I would love to hear from you. Just kind of out there.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Colorectal Cancer Support Group.

@ppat4pr

Thank you for this post. I am very concerned that I only have very small bowel movements. Will try fiber (Metamucil) & at least 64 oz. Hydration daily. My surgery was 4 months ago; going for MRI.

Jump to this post

I have smaller movements, often, after nearly 9 months. Talk to your doctor so he/she can determine if this is part of the new normal for you. My schedule is still not like before, but I feel so much better and have adjusted. Four months after the surgery things started to get so much better.

@jodiepage

I had similar reactions, and it is frustrating. At 2 1/2 months life and my confidence to go out and be more independent (with reservation and knowing the location of the bathroom) helped me started to return to normal. By then I seemed to have a better grasp on scheduling and the foods tolerated. Four months and suddenly everything seemed to get much better rapidly.

Jump to this post

My doctor was not concerned about my bowel movements as long as there was no pain. Aside from gas pain once, I do not usually have pain but I do have IBS. Glad my post was helpful. Best of luck to you.

@hopeful33250

Hello @apinzonc0627 and welcome to Mayo Connect. I am sorry that
I did not see your posts earlier. I am glad that your surgery and recovery were so successful.

Generally, after finding a polyp there are follow-up exams. Has your doctor given you a schedule for follow-ups?

Jump to this post

Si es correcto mi medico Oncólogo, le está dando seguimiento ya me hizo uno después de los 6 meses de la operación y todo salió bien, ahora me toca otro para febrero del 2023.

Saludos
Antonio

@apinzonc0627

Si es correcto mi medico Oncólogo, le está dando seguimiento ya me hizo uno después de los 6 meses de la operación y todo salió bien, ahora me toca otro para febrero del 2023.

Saludos
Antonio

Jump to this post

That is great, @apinzonc0627. I hope that all your follow-ups continue to go well. Will you post again and keep in touch?

@hopeful33250

That is great, @apinzonc0627. I hope that all your follow-ups continue to go well. Will you post again and keep in touch?

Jump to this post

Es correcto @hopeful33250, Seguiré publicando, ya me interesa saber todo sobre este tema y saber las experiencias de otros, en esto que afecta a muchos en el mundo.

Saludos

I am 8 months out finally getting back to the new normal. I am 65 will be 66 in 5 months. Hang in there buddy and prayers for you.

@bernedoodlebailey

Hi. I’m so glad I found this site. I’m seeing a surgeon next week for sigmoid removal and re/section. My colonoscopy today was aborted due to edema. In my report it stated “ middle of stricture with blanched mucosa” along with pics. I have no idea what that means! I was a assuming this surgery would relieve my symptoms. After reading these posts I’m doubtful it will…ugh.

Jump to this post

Hi @berniedoodlebailey, how was your appointment with the surgeon?

@bernedoodlebailey

Hi. I’m so glad I found this site. I’m seeing a surgeon next week for sigmoid removal and re/section. My colonoscopy today was aborted due to edema. In my report it stated “ middle of stricture with blanched mucosa” along with pics. I have no idea what that means! I was a assuming this surgery would relieve my symptoms. After reading these posts I’m doubtful it will…ugh.

Jump to this post

Really, there’s light at the end of the tunnel. I had a sigmoid resection done 6 months ago and things are improving quickly now. Remember how long you had lived with the pain and discomfort. So it will take time to feel better and realize it’s major surgery so recovery will take a while. But don’t baby yourself, eat small meals, drink lots of water, exercise regularly when you’re up to it and don’t hesitate to call your doctor for an explanation of your test results, that’s important so you don’t worry about understanding your diagnosis. You WILL get there!

I am in the 4th week of recovery from a sigmoidectomy that was supposed to be laparoscopic but ended up being open. My surgery site is healing nicely but I did not anticipate so many bowel issues! Especially gas at night that prevents me sleeping. Any advice would be appreciated. It is so reassuring to know there are others out there with these issues!

11 months past resection still dealing with some pain but not bad. Have to be careful about what you eat and especially how much is getting every day

Please sign in or register to post a reply.