Sigmoid colon resection: What to expect for recovery?

Posted by virgo1952 @virgo1952, Dec 1, 2019

It’s been 4+weeks since my resection. Found a cancerous polyp during a routine screening. Some frustration over the lack of information given by the surgeon as to what to expect afterwards. Late 60’s so I know the healing will take time. Mostly, struggling with bowel urgency/frequency and experiencing stomach pain from gas (pretty sure) is three months s realistic time frame for returning to “normal”? I’ve seen some posts that talk about two years? No further treatment so I was lucky. If anyone has had this surgery and went through or is going through the healing process, I would love to hear from you. Just kind of out there.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Colorectal Cancer Support Group.

Too many here prior to surgery seem to be so concerned about getting back to a "normal diet". What's your rush? Give your colon a break!
Your so called normal diet might not have been your best diet before and chances are it won't be the best later.
Were you eating red meat as part of your "normal diet"?

Sigmoid colon resection is not 3 or 4 days in the hospital, come home, rest for a couple days and back to work.
You cannot rush the healing of your colon. Only time and colon care will do that.
Enjoy some non-solid food for awhile. Think in terms of what is easily digested.
Eat at home. No restaurants, no fast food, no fried foods, no dairy, no baked goods, no deli meat, nothing spicy, nothing acidic, no alcohol and drink water.

If you can remember what not to eat, figuring out what you can eat comes easier.
What you thought was normal before, actually needs to be gone!
This is about finding your "new normal!"

@lapg22

@eyeart (and @patriotspride) ,
Did you have the surgery? My dr told me NOTHING about the side effects I am reading about here, and now I am terrified! I am scheduled to have about a foot of my sigmoid colon removed laparoscopically later this month. I have had four bouts of diverticulitis over the past five years or so. The most recent one put me in the hospital for three days on 24-hr IV antibiotics, and I have been on two different antibiotics since coming home two weeks ago. I am an otherwise very healthy 57-yr-old woman. I was told I could go back slowly to a regular diet starting about two weeks after surgery and that I shouldn’t have any issues. That is NOT what I am seeing here! My job requires me to meet with people daily and to make presentations in front of important executives. I cannot stop in the middle of a presentation to run out of the room, hoping to make it to the bathroom in time. I am hoping some of you can reassure me that scenario isn’t likely. If not, I will be canceling this surgery!

Jump to this post

@lapg22, I hope you've seen the helpful posts from @eyeart @patriotspride @fisch @sgbisrat @cjay and @paul28. Cjay is right that people who do not have complications do not post in online forums as often. They get on living life.

There is no doubt a recovery period for which you should be prepared and informed. Talk to your surgeon about the recovery period and what YOU can expect. Your surgeon who knows your health status, age, medical history, etc. will be able to discuss with you what your recovery will likely look like.

It sounds like you are a busy, healthy woman. Being physically fit helps too. Is regular physical activity part of your regular routine?

Hello, I just had a mass removed and a resection 10 days ago. I too am late 60’s and finding I’m not bouncing back as quickly as I’d hope. I do have further treatment so I’m hoping I’m feeling much better by then. I really didn’t know what to expect from the surgery, which maybe is a good thing.
I wasn’t given many instructions so all suggestions are appreciated!

@jjevitts

Hello, I just had a mass removed and a resection 10 days ago. I too am late 60’s and finding I’m not bouncing back as quickly as I’d hope. I do have further treatment so I’m hoping I’m feeling much better by then. I really didn’t know what to expect from the surgery, which maybe is a good thing.
I wasn’t given many instructions so all suggestions are appreciated!

Jump to this post

@jjevitts I’m so glad to see your post as I’ve been wondering how you are doing. We are close in age (I’m 71 years old) and I sure don’t bounce back like I used to either. Ten days isn’t all that long when you think about it depending on the extent of the surgery. Also, we don’t stay in the hospital for very long as used to be the case.

When I had kidney surgery in 1996 they wanted me to go home the following day. I did stay one more day but was sent home with very few instructions and felt very weak and « beat up » for at least two weeks. I know this isn’t the same surgery you had but I do recall how much pain I had and that it was more than a week before I could even go for a walk on my street. The surgery was endoscopic and so I had a 1 inch incision. But the real healing was on the inside of the kidney.

Here are my suggestions which you can take if you want because I don’t know the extent of your surgery. Walk every day. Move around as you feel you can. If you feel up to it, walk to the end of your driveway (assuming it’s less than a mile!). It takes time to heal from the anesthesia too (did you have general anesthesia?). One of my doctors told me that the more I lie around the more tired I will be. That was good advice and I tried to do what I could.

You have been in my thoughts and ❤️. I’m tagging @gynosaur42 so she can jump in too.

Do you know what the further treatment will be? And when it will start?

@naturegirl5

@jjevitts I’m so glad to see your post as I’ve been wondering how you are doing. We are close in age (I’m 71 years old) and I sure don’t bounce back like I used to either. Ten days isn’t all that long when you think about it depending on the extent of the surgery. Also, we don’t stay in the hospital for very long as used to be the case.

When I had kidney surgery in 1996 they wanted me to go home the following day. I did stay one more day but was sent home with very few instructions and felt very weak and « beat up » for at least two weeks. I know this isn’t the same surgery you had but I do recall how much pain I had and that it was more than a week before I could even go for a walk on my street. The surgery was endoscopic and so I had a 1 inch incision. But the real healing was on the inside of the kidney.

Here are my suggestions which you can take if you want because I don’t know the extent of your surgery. Walk every day. Move around as you feel you can. If you feel up to it, walk to the end of your driveway (assuming it’s less than a mile!). It takes time to heal from the anesthesia too (did you have general anesthesia?). One of my doctors told me that the more I lie around the more tired I will be. That was good advice and I tried to do what I could.

You have been in my thoughts and ❤️. I’m tagging @gynosaur42 so she can jump in too.

Do you know what the further treatment will be? And when it will start?

Jump to this post

I messaged both of you while I’m the hospital, but not sure if I sent it. 😂 There are times when I think ignorance is bliss, this was one of them. I didn’t really know what to expect. According to my surgeon everything went as he’d planned. They cut out a good portion of my large intestine and the bowel resection went well. I have a very long, nice scar. That was on the 7th? 8th? I came home last Saturday. I’m very glad to be home, but still taking Tylenol and lacking much energy. I have been walking, but I totally agree, I need to do more.
I go back on Dec 4th for a checkup and treatment plan.
Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!! 💜

@jjevitts

I messaged both of you while I’m the hospital, but not sure if I sent it. 😂 There are times when I think ignorance is bliss, this was one of them. I didn’t really know what to expect. According to my surgeon everything went as he’d planned. They cut out a good portion of my large intestine and the bowel resection went well. I have a very long, nice scar. That was on the 7th? 8th? I came home last Saturday. I’m very glad to be home, but still taking Tylenol and lacking much energy. I have been walking, but I totally agree, I need to do more.
I go back on Dec 4th for a checkup and treatment plan.
Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!! 💜

Jump to this post

@jjevitts I didn’t get your message but then you were in the hospital. It’s not as if messaging was a top priority! 🤣.

I am glad to know that the bowel resection went well and your surgeon confirmed that the surgery went as planned. So you’ve been home for about a week. That’s not very long so no wonder you still have pain and low energy. That nice long scar, as you call it tells me that you have considerable healing to do.

December 4 is your return visit. That’s not far away and I expect by then you will have more energy.

I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving too. And that you will allow your family to do all the work this year. If you are like me then you start cooking days before Thanksgiving and spend much of the actual day in the kitchen. This year I am « ordering » you not to do that. Ha, ha. You get to rest, eat, and someone else can do that heavy lifting.🦃

@rdmishio

I’ll try the Keifer, currently taking a probiotic too. Thanks for the info!

Jump to this post

Perhaps I should try that too 🙏

I too had stage 3 colon/rectal cancer 10 years ago. I was treated with Folfox and Oxaliplatin. I didn't seem to have any complications with the 5 fu pump. Infact, I commented to my oncologist that I had to remind myself that I had cancer. She stated that the 5fu pump was in combination with the radiation and it would be a different situation when I started the Oxaliplatin. That was so true. It was awful. I couldn't touch or eat anything cold . I had to use gloves to take something out of the refrigerator. I have now been diagnosed with Peripheral Neuropathy and foot drop that seems to be getting worse.
It takes awhile to get back to a new normal. I took extra underwear and clothes for the uncontrollable situations.
It does seem to add extra anxiety for going out but it does get better. I drink a Boost Plus Vanilla or Walmart brand with a tablespoon of Metamucil Fiber unflavored 4 in 1 and Gas X for the gas. Figure out what you can't eat ( mine seems to be chocolate} that gives me gas. Sometimes, I still eat it knowing what it will do.
Stay positive. It will get better. We are still here. So God has a plan.

Hello! I recently had to get 6 inches of my colon removed because of diverticulitis. It’s been four weeks and I am now having pain in between my ribs and under my left rib. A lot of gas and just belly pains. Has this happened to anyone else? Just wondering if it’s indigestion and my body adjusting or if I need to be concerned. The pain usually happens after I eat.

@ambrosia1323

Hello! I recently had to get 6 inches of my colon removed because of diverticulitis. It’s been four weeks and I am now having pain in between my ribs and under my left rib. A lot of gas and just belly pains. Has this happened to anyone else? Just wondering if it’s indigestion and my body adjusting or if I need to be concerned. The pain usually happens after I eat.

Jump to this post

@ambrosia1323, four weeks is a relatively short time after such a major surgery. You are still healing. Hopefully you are feeling small improvements everyday. If you're concerned at all, you should call your surgeon''s office to be sure.

You might also be interested in connecting with others who have had the same surgery to help diverticulitis here:

- Colon Resection for Diverticulitis and Chronic Constipation
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/colon-resection-for-diverticulitis-and-chronic-constipation/

- Colon Resection for Diverticulitis , Yet Still Having Pain.
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/colon-resection-for-diverticulitis-yet-still-having-pain/

Please sign in or register to post a reply.