Sigmoid colon resection: What to expect for recovery?

Posted by virgo1952 @virgo1952, Dec 1, 2019

It’s been 4+weeks since my resection. Found a cancerous polyp during a routine screening. Some frustration over the lack of information given by the surgeon as to what to expect afterwards. Late 60’s so I know the healing will take time. Mostly, struggling with bowel urgency/frequency and experiencing stomach pain from gas (pretty sure) is three months s realistic time frame for returning to “normal”? I’ve seen some posts that talk about two years? No further treatment so I was lucky. If anyone has had this surgery and went through or is going through the healing process, I would love to hear from you. Just kind of out there.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Colorectal Cancer Support Group.

Iam 7 months since Sigmoid Colon resection and 5 months since Lung wedge resection.
No problems with either except almost daily watery diarrhea.
Is just now starting to get better.

Hi Everyone I’m new Here, I’m 42 been dealing with diverticulitis since 2018. I’ve had about 3-4 flare ups 1 colonoscopy no issues. Gi surgeon suggests surgery.. sigmoid resection I made appt than canceled it😢.I am terrified. This left side consistently is achy. I don’t know what to do or eat.

I had my sigmoid colon resection December 14, 2022 and it solved many years of digestive problems. It took me about three months to completely recover. I have no pain, no constant diarrhea, and the best outcome.... eating a wider variety of food without bathroom issues! ...definitely worth the few months of recovery.

My resection was NOT a choice. My sigmoid colon, became abscessed and then perforated due to diverticulitis. Avoid the Emergency room and terrible pain. I would not wait. Be proactive as your doctor suggests.

@lucy155

I had my sigmoid colon resection December 14, 2022 and it solved many years of digestive problems. It took me about three months to completely recover. I have no pain, no constant diarrhea, and the best outcome.... eating a wider variety of food without bathroom issues! ...definitely worth the few months of recovery.

My resection was NOT a choice. My sigmoid colon, became abscessed and then perforated due to diverticulitis. Avoid the Emergency room and terrible pain. I would not wait. Be proactive as your doctor suggests.

Jump to this post

When you say you were down. We’re u unable to work walk or what were the problems

@ciebrown

When you say you were down. We’re u unable to work walk or what were the problems

Jump to this post

My recovery included:
1) annoying frequent and small bowel movements. I had to stay close to a toilet for two weeks. It gradually improved (Metemucil helped)
2) eating frequent small, low fiber meals
3) gaining weight, strength and stamina back after surgery. This is a big one....I got tired easily, even though I wasn't in any pain or uncomfortable
4) Exercising to build myself back up.... first just walking, stretching and easy leg, arms exercises. After three months I gradually accelerated my intensity and was going to the gym.
Now, six months, I have all my energy back... put in full days of golf, gardening, cleaning, shopping. I truly am better than I've been in years. I'm so grateful.

@lucy155

My recovery included:
1) annoying frequent and small bowel movements. I had to stay close to a toilet for two weeks. It gradually improved (Metemucil helped)
2) eating frequent small, low fiber meals
3) gaining weight, strength and stamina back after surgery. This is a big one....I got tired easily, even though I wasn't in any pain or uncomfortable
4) Exercising to build myself back up.... first just walking, stretching and easy leg, arms exercises. After three months I gradually accelerated my intensity and was going to the gym.
Now, six months, I have all my energy back... put in full days of golf, gardening, cleaning, shopping. I truly am better than I've been in years. I'm so grateful.

Jump to this post

Okay. That makes me feel a lil better I blender with them Thursday I have had no fair ups and then 5 since Jan of this year. It’s been a time for sure. I feel like I’m loosing everything right now. Job weight sanity. Diverticulitis is horrible.

@lucy155

Jump to this post

Had my sigmoid colon resection Sept 2022, the day before the hurricane! I live in Florida, and didn't know which was worse!
I had to go to Emergency Room and found out the colon attached to the bladder and both were infected. After waiting 15 hours in the ER, I lost control of my bladder and laid there almost the whole 15 hours in wet pants, by then I didn't care!
After the surgery which was caused by diverticulitis, I was not told what to expect, went home and had lots of accidents. Which I still have if I don't watch what I eat, and when I eat.
For some reason I am have really bad cramps and don't know if it's from the Cholestyramine the doctor prescribed to control the diarrhea which it has to a point, it's not so runny but the cramping is awful. Has anyone else tired this power?
I was happy to see some answers on here, thought I was the only one with this issue! It's been 9 months and I still have issues. Sure wish the doctor had giving some clue as to what to expect, I miss salad more than anything but they don't work anymore.

It should have been powder not power!

So sorry for your experience during the hurricane. Glad it's over... now for getting a good plan together for healing and getting stronger. Tell your doctors that's your goal and you NEED their direction and regular visits until you the best you can be. Change doctors if you must to get the help you want and deserve. Keep as positive as you can and don't give up.

I used Metamucil daily for both diarrhea AND infrequent constipation. I was surprised it works for both. Doctor told me it would and he was right!

@ciebrown

Okay. That makes me feel a lil better I blender with them Thursday I have had no fair ups and then 5 since Jan of this year. It’s been a time for sure. I feel like I’m loosing everything right now. Job weight sanity. Diverticulitis is horrible.

Jump to this post

I know the feeling, it's hard for people to understand what you are going through.
Hope it's getting a little better, and glad they have this forum. Thought I was the only one with this problem. Wish there was a general answer for all of us.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.