Adults On The Autism Spectrum

Posted by Mamacita, Alumna Mentor @mamacita, Apr 29, 2018

Maybe you were really shy as a child. Perhaps you took home a huge stack of books from the school library, read them, and returned them the next day. Or did your best friend find you crying in your closet, unable to answer the question "Why?" At any rate, your life could be traced to the Self-Help section of the local bookstore. Unfortunately, most of the books were not much help. ADHD seemed to fit, at times. Your shrink said you might be Bi-Polar, although she wasn't really certain. All you knew was that you rarely fit in, anywhere. One day at work, it hit you square in the face: I don't speak these people's language! Really, it was like you were all playing this game, and everyone knew the rules but you. You couldn't tell a joke, and you never "got" any joke your co-worker tried to tell you. People started getting annoyed with you, because you had a memory like a steel trap. They didn't appreciate it when you called them on the carpet. Who knew? This was my life, and worse. I finally aced several tests that pointed me to the answer to my questions. The Autism Spectrum. Guess what? Little kids with Autism grow up to be Adults with Autism. Diagnosed late in life? This is the place for you!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Autism (ASD) Support Group.

@sirgalahad

@mamacita told us about your health problems and also the passing of your sister. I'm so sorry to hear that you are dealing with the losses of your health as well as your last remaining relative. Praying for your healing and hoping to hear from you when you can post again.

Are you in the hospital now or are you recovering at home?

@teresa, and @colleenyoung , @sirgalahad wanted me to remind you and some others (you know who you are) that he would enjoy emails or Facebook friendship. He has also started a group on Messenger for chronic illness. I believe he is out of the hospital. Thank you for your kindness to him. He has been very helpful to many who are trying to get well.
Love and light,
Mamacita Jane

Good evening, me lovelies. Just popped in to say hello. I am exhausted. Hubby has a sprained knee and it is extremely painful. We had 7 doctors appointments last week, including everyone. Our apple tree fell in a storm and we are paying a man to cut it completely down.

I was able to get a few things for the kiddos. So I would not wait until the last minute.I've been reading posts from Moms who have children on the Spectrum who have severe conditions that seem to go right along with their Autism. These children can be helped, but unfortunately our system in this country disagrees with how to treat them. Some children are so disabled that it requires almost super human effort to make any progress. Each child is different, so it is impossible to tell, at first glance, what can be done for them.

It makes me wonder about what supports I had as a small child that enabled me to excel academically. My home was pretty quiet, and I had plenty of attention. I played outdoors and had friends in the neighborhood. I had friends at church and felt loved and cared for there.

Not everyone on the Spectrum had the good fortune of having good health. Mentally, emotionally, and physically. Some have issues that must be addressed now if they are to happily live in this world. I want to learn all I can so that in some small way I can be an instrument of change.
Love and light
Mamacita Jane

@mamacita

Good evening, me lovelies. Just popped in to say hello. I am exhausted. Hubby has a sprained knee and it is extremely painful. We had 7 doctors appointments last week, including everyone. Our apple tree fell in a storm and we are paying a man to cut it completely down.

I was able to get a few things for the kiddos. So I would not wait until the last minute.I've been reading posts from Moms who have children on the Spectrum who have severe conditions that seem to go right along with their Autism. These children can be helped, but unfortunately our system in this country disagrees with how to treat them. Some children are so disabled that it requires almost super human effort to make any progress. Each child is different, so it is impossible to tell, at first glance, what can be done for them.

It makes me wonder about what supports I had as a small child that enabled me to excel academically. My home was pretty quiet, and I had plenty of attention. I played outdoors and had friends in the neighborhood. I had friends at church and felt loved and cared for there.

Not everyone on the Spectrum had the good fortune of having good health. Mentally, emotionally, and physically. Some have issues that must be addressed now if they are to happily live in this world. I want to learn all I can so that in some small way I can be an instrument of change.
Love and light
Mamacita Jane

Jump to this post

@mamacita Wow you had a busy week ,time to pull up a cup of tea take your shoes of and relax next week take it off . Hopw your hubby gets better rest and ice it . That's all the Dr. told me when I fractured my back this year. I feel sorry for those kids that the medical system is letting down . Sounds like you had a good childhood. God was and is watching over you . Take care

@mamacita

Love and light
Mamacita Jane

Jump to this post

So good to hear from you, @mamacita. You have a lovely way of putting life into perspective. Thank you for being in our midst in spite of a long, long week!

@teresa, Volunteer Mentor, Happy Saturday to you!
Thank you for your kind words.
There is so much knowledge out there. More and more, we are understanding the mysteries of why we do what we do.

I am certainly differently wired.
I excelled academically until a small group of my peers was sent to the "best" school in town for gifted children.

It was not a good match for me.

The societal expectations were explicit in some ways, mysterious in otbers.

Coping mechanisms began to appear in my daily behavior. The stereotype of the pitiful child crying, rocking herself back and forth, in the closet, is not just a stereotype for this girl.

When I would do my homework every day after school, I would sit on the couch with a heavy pillow on my lap. Books spread out on top. The pressure, the heavy weight soothed my frazzled spirit.

We know now that weighted vests, weighted blankets, heavy pressure really helps us feel better.

We need that. Every day. We feel all the feels. We feel so deeply. Some of us, like myself, hear off the blooming charts. Is it any wonder there are countless little ones at the therapists' office, seeking anti -anxiety medication?

I have pictures of me in the backyard. I remember rocking back and forth as I stood under the pine trees. No one thought it odd or strange.

I remember climbing up the tallest tree holding onto a rope my Father had tied up at the very top. The thrill of actually repelling down that tree was a feeling I will never forget The sensations were once again, soothing to my Aspie nerves.

All of this is to say one thing.
Everything I do I do for these young ones coming up.
So that they will dwell on their strengths.
Build up their strengths, their abilities.
Realize everyone has limitations.
Rejoice in the concept that everyone can have a place at the table.

We adults on the Spectrum have so much to share. We help heal ourselves from years of hurt, abandonment, criticism, and worse, just by telling our stories.
Just by being told, "You are welcome here. "
Love and light,
Mamacita Jane

@mamacita

@teresa, Volunteer Mentor, Happy Saturday to you!
Thank you for your kind words.
There is so much knowledge out there. More and more, we are understanding the mysteries of why we do what we do.

I am certainly differently wired.
I excelled academically until a small group of my peers was sent to the "best" school in town for gifted children.

It was not a good match for me.

The societal expectations were explicit in some ways, mysterious in otbers.

Coping mechanisms began to appear in my daily behavior. The stereotype of the pitiful child crying, rocking herself back and forth, in the closet, is not just a stereotype for this girl.

When I would do my homework every day after school, I would sit on the couch with a heavy pillow on my lap. Books spread out on top. The pressure, the heavy weight soothed my frazzled spirit.

We know now that weighted vests, weighted blankets, heavy pressure really helps us feel better.

We need that. Every day. We feel all the feels. We feel so deeply. Some of us, like myself, hear off the blooming charts. Is it any wonder there are countless little ones at the therapists' office, seeking anti -anxiety medication?

I have pictures of me in the backyard. I remember rocking back and forth as I stood under the pine trees. No one thought it odd or strange.

I remember climbing up the tallest tree holding onto a rope my Father had tied up at the very top. The thrill of actually repelling down that tree was a feeling I will never forget The sensations were once again, soothing to my Aspie nerves.

All of this is to say one thing.
Everything I do I do for these young ones coming up.
So that they will dwell on their strengths.
Build up their strengths, their abilities.
Realize everyone has limitations.
Rejoice in the concept that everyone can have a place at the table.

We adults on the Spectrum have so much to share. We help heal ourselves from years of hurt, abandonment, criticism, and worse, just by telling our stories.
Just by being told, "You are welcome here. "
Love and light,
Mamacita Jane

Jump to this post

@mamacita - will you share more about how weighted blankets or other weighted items are useful to you or others you know who have a diagnosis of autism?

@lisalucier

@mamacita - will you share more about how weighted blankets or other weighted items are useful to you or others you know who have a diagnosis of autism?

Jump to this post

Coming soon, to a Mayo Clinic Connect Site near you......pressure, painful body sensations, and how weighted vests and blankets help those on the Spectrum. Personal stories and research, techniques used in the school systems. Everything you ever wanted to know, but were afraid to ask

Talk to you soon!
Love and light,
Mamacita Jane

@mamacita

Coming soon, to a Mayo Clinic Connect Site near you......pressure, painful body sensations, and how weighted vests and blankets help those on the Spectrum. Personal stories and research, techniques used in the school systems. Everything you ever wanted to know, but were afraid to ask

Talk to you soon!
Love and light,
Mamacita Jane

Jump to this post

Looking forward to it, @mamacita!

@lisalucier

Jump to this post

@lisalucier From my experience, having a weighted blanket gives me a better and more restful sleep. It feels comforting and allows my mind to quiet down. The bigger drawback is finding the right combination that is weight without added heat.
Ginger

Please sign in or register to post a reply.