Adults On The Autism Spectrum

Posted by Mamacita, Alumna Mentor @mamacita, Apr 29, 2018

Maybe you were really shy as a child. Perhaps you took home a huge stack of books from the school library, read them, and returned them the next day. Or did your best friend find you crying in your closet, unable to answer the question "Why?" At any rate, your life could be traced to the Self-Help section of the local bookstore. Unfortunately, most of the books were not much help. ADHD seemed to fit, at times. Your shrink said you might be Bi-Polar, although she wasn't really certain. All you knew was that you rarely fit in, anywhere. One day at work, it hit you square in the face: I don't speak these people's language! Really, it was like you were all playing this game, and everyone knew the rules but you. You couldn't tell a joke, and you never "got" any joke your co-worker tried to tell you. People started getting annoyed with you, because you had a memory like a steel trap. They didn't appreciate it when you called them on the carpet. Who knew? This was my life, and worse. I finally aced several tests that pointed me to the answer to my questions. The Autism Spectrum. Guess what? Little kids with Autism grow up to be Adults with Autism. Diagnosed late in life? This is the place for you!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Autism (ASD) Support Group.

@mamacita

We are still in the ER. They are definitely admitting her. They have to, in order to administer the IV antibiotics that she must have to knock out this horrid infection. Her leg is in really bad shape.

Thank you for your concern! I appreciate your kindness and caring.

I will post when I finally get home.. This hospital is great but the sensory environment is a nightmare . I cannot wait to get home!

Love and light,
Mamacita Jane

Jump to this post

@mamacita, I hope that you are in a quieter environment now and that your daughter is beginning to heal. Prayers are with you all.

@hopeful33250, Volunteer Mentor, my daughter was finally placed in a room around 9:30 last night. I stayed with her because it was too late to drive home in the dark. I will be leaving here shortly. The traffic is pretty rough until around 9am. I figure it will take me about thirty minutes to navigate through to the other side of the hospital where my car is (hopefully) parked.

They have her on an IV of antibiotics. Checked for blood clots. Things are looking up for her.

Thank you for the kind words. I look forward to talking with you later. Have a beautiful weekend.

Mamacita Jane

@auntieoakley

Candy corn and Reece’s cups until the 30th, in my world the 31st is the first day of Christmas let the music begin!

Jump to this post

@auntieoakley We have someone in our little community building a haunted maze in his front yard. It is on the main road in to town, so there will be a clog of cars and kids come next Thursday. Apparently last year it was so scary some people were haunted by it all year, but can't wait to go back! Two doors down from him, the people have put up their nativity scene and holiday lights.....
Ginger

@mamacita

@hopeful33250, Volunteer Mentor, my daughter was finally placed in a room around 9:30 last night. I stayed with her because it was too late to drive home in the dark. I will be leaving here shortly. The traffic is pretty rough until around 9am. I figure it will take me about thirty minutes to navigate through to the other side of the hospital where my car is (hopefully) parked.

They have her on an IV of antibiotics. Checked for blood clots. Things are looking up for her.

Thank you for the kind words. I look forward to talking with you later. Have a beautiful weekend.

Mamacita Jane

Jump to this post

@mamacita I know you didn't get much rest last night, and hope you can put your feet up for a bit today when you get home. We are sending prayers and will be waiting to hear your daughter is doing better. I drove home from the airport at 8:30 last night, 50 miles on a four mountain passes/tight curves road. Couldn't wait to get here! The stimulus of soo many people and strange places was a tad much for my system.
Ginger

@gingerw

@mamacita I know you didn't get much rest last night, and hope you can put your feet up for a bit today when you get home. We are sending prayers and will be waiting to hear your daughter is doing better. I drove home from the airport at 8:30 last night, 50 miles on a four mountain passes/tight curves road. Couldn't wait to get here! The stimulus of soo many people and strange places was a tad much for my system.
Ginger

Jump to this post

Bravo,@ginger! Your ability to navigate the mountainpasses in the dark of the night . I had Radiokeratomy in both eyes in 1990 to repair severe nearsightedness. I have pie shaped scars on my corneas. At night, I see glares from incoming lights . Randomly. Which is why I do very little night driving.

Getting old is the pits. At the doctors office with Hubby, who has bronchitis. Armed with meds, we will go home to our Hobbithome and burrow in for the weekend.

But I can still be grateful. At the ER last night, there were people dying, people lined up on beds in the hallways, people moaning in pain, waiting for hours to be seen. I get to go home to a relatively clean house and be with people who love me. I get to come here to this supportive community, and rant, cry, laugh, and tell my truth.

I think I am pretty blessed and grateful.

Love and light,
Mamacita Jane

@mamacita

Mamacita Jane

Jump to this post

How is your daughter doing today, @mamacita?

Lisa, she is much more optimistic. She is getting IV antibiotics and her leg is a little bit better. The doctor said she would be in there for at least four days. We are so pleased with her treatment by Huntsville Hospital.

She has so many chronic illnesses, she is a tough patient to take care of. I had to use a bit of Mama Bear tactics in the ER. One of the team members who had to decide if they admitted her made the statement " If we admit her." I couldn't let that go. Her life depended on it.

No, "When she is admitted. Because she is going to be admitted!" Oral antibiotics had not worked and she was at the point where one more day and she would be looking at amputation. Dr. Falcon had already said she was going to recommend admission.

I was raised to be a "nice Southern lady."
But when it's a matter of life and death, sometimes you just have to stand your ground.

I had written a long post to Colleen and somehow someone messaging me knocked it out into cyberspace. I will try it again later this evening.

Hope you have a restful weekend and take time to enjoy what you love.

Love and light,
Mamacita Jane

@gingerw

@auntieoakley We have someone in our little community building a haunted maze in his front yard. It is on the main road in to town, so there will be a clog of cars and kids come next Thursday. Apparently last year it was so scary some people were haunted by it all year, but can't wait to go back! Two doors down from him, the people have put up their nativity scene and holiday lights.....
Ginger

Jump to this post

@gingerw , I have areas in my home that are decorated year round for all the holidays. I enjoy it!

I have been having fun doing crafts for Halloween. Doing things now I would have liked to have done with my own children. Making something from a little bit of nothing is fun and rewarding.

@mamacita

Bravo,@ginger! Your ability to navigate the mountainpasses in the dark of the night . I had Radiokeratomy in both eyes in 1990 to repair severe nearsightedness. I have pie shaped scars on my corneas. At night, I see glares from incoming lights . Randomly. Which is why I do very little night driving.

Getting old is the pits. At the doctors office with Hubby, who has bronchitis. Armed with meds, we will go home to our Hobbithome and burrow in for the weekend.

But I can still be grateful. At the ER last night, there were people dying, people lined up on beds in the hallways, people moaning in pain, waiting for hours to be seen. I get to go home to a relatively clean house and be with people who love me. I get to come here to this supportive community, and rant, cry, laugh, and tell my truth.

I think I am pretty blessed and grateful.

Love and light,
Mamacita Jane

Jump to this post

I can no longer can drive at night. Anything going on after dark I need transportation. So discouraging at times.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.