Recipes, Food Tips, Healthy Eating & More

Posted by Debbra Williams, Alumna Mentor @debbraw, Feb 22, 2019

Some of the members of the Gratitude Discussion Group were interested in having a place to share recipes and food ideas. I’m hoping that we can use this thread as a place to have that kind of discussion. I’d love to hear your ideas for quick meals, comfort food, healthy snacks, and more.

Personally, I’ve just been through a bad reaction to one of my medications that left me with a very queasy stomach. I would love to hear ideas – or recipes – that might be used when you need to get something on your stomach, but don’t want to overdo it.

Hopefully, this thread will even be a place where we can share recipes for special treats and yummy rewards. It doesn’t always have to be healthy!

I’d love to hear from members who have been part of other discussions AND from new members who have good ideas, recipes and food tips to share. I’m excited to see who might start us off here with an awesome food suggestion!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@mockinbrd

I use one that covers two burners. It is a John Boos three inch thick cutting board with handles. When not in use I have it on it’s side perpendicular between Refrigerator and cabinet.

Jump to this post

@contentandwell
John Boos is a good cutting board. I have a small one on my island next to a monster one from Italy. Island was bought last year and a tremendous addition to space and storage. I never thought back then of adding something over the stove top for additional space. I like that it faces the living room and I can chop and dice white the tv is on or someone is talking to me. I also store my non perishable veggies and fruits on the first shelf so I am aware of what I need .

FL Mary a chopping and dicing away

@jakedduck1

@fiesty76
@mockinbrd
Can't forget PASTRY.
I do love ice cream except licorice & coffee of course or that mocha almond fudge crap.
I have given up ice cream for the most part, I get these infinitesimally & unbelievably tiny near microscopic ice cream things from Schwan on a rare occasion. They don't even make a good mouthful. More like a sample.
Every day the ice cream truck goes by and it's all I can do not to run out and get a 50/50 bar.
Enjoy your ice cream, one of the greatest superfoods ever,
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 I sympathize with you. I love ice cream but never eat it anymore. My husband has what is considered to be a terrible diet, has either chocolate ice cream or something like a turnover every night, croissants for breakfast, and is as healthy as can be at 85 - no pills, nothing wrong with him, just good genes I guess. I hope our kids get his genes, not mine.

@lioness I make chocolate chip cookies and fill them with vanilla ice cream. I have a whole assembly process going when I do that. They're so good that when one of my nephews graduated from HS he told his mother to ask me if I would give him a whole bag of them for himself!

@imallears Ahh, another one of my husband's vices. He loves Napoleons. When we go to Boston we often go to the North End where the Italian restaurants and bakeries are. He loads up on Napoleons and cannolis. His father was an Italian pastry chef. The cannolis have to be the kind with a pudding filling, not ricotta. I think that's Sicilian style but they are hard to find. The biggest bakery in the North End has them. That place always has a line out the door.
JK

@contentandwell
I so miss the bakeries and Italian Delis in NY. Few and far between here in this part of Florida. There a deli about a half hour drive from me ...oh the aromas! Makes me cry.

FL Mary

@imallears

@contentandwell
I so miss the bakeries and Italian Delis in NY. Few and far between here in this part of Florida. There a deli about a half hour drive from me ...oh the aromas! Makes me cry.

FL Mary

Jump to this post

@lioness
I survived your challenge Linda. Although I couldn't find any 72% I got some 73% dark chocolate.
I was able to choke it down. It left a taste in my mouth which I remedied with a scrumptious chocolate & carmel candy bar.
Nowhere near as tasty as an onion & sauerkraut sandwich.
I bet your craving another aren't you?
Although it didn't finish me off like I was fearing, I did double-check that all my final arrangements were still intact just in case.
Question is, what do I do with the 15 pieces that are left? I would throw it out but might get in trouble for polluting the landfill.
The cashier said he tried some 95% and spit it out.
@contentandwell
I bet your husband doesn’t eat dark chocolate.
Jake

@avmcbellar

@fiesty76 I was surprised how much I had learned when I thought all this time I was eating as healthy as I could. Who would think vegetable oils can do this to us. It is because of the processes of the refineries mass producing and making the oils unhealthy. Unfortunately it is all about money and not our health.
Here is a list of the fats. Hope this helps to clarify between some of the good and bad.Toni

Jump to this post

@avmcbellar, Thanks for the list, Toni! Very happy to olive oil listed on the "good" oils side. I'd read earlier that lard was much healthier than its more popular rival Crisco but seeing it listed on the "good" side was another prompt.

@contentandwell

@jakedduck1 I sympathize with you. I love ice cream but never eat it anymore. My husband has what is considered to be a terrible diet, has either chocolate ice cream or something like a turnover every night, croissants for breakfast, and is as healthy as can be at 85 - no pills, nothing wrong with him, just good genes I guess. I hope our kids get his genes, not mine.

@lioness I make chocolate chip cookies and fill them with vanilla ice cream. I have a whole assembly process going when I do that. They're so good that when one of my nephews graduated from HS he told his mother to ask me if I would give him a whole bag of them for himself!

@imallears Ahh, another one of my husband's vices. He loves Napoleons. When we go to Boston we often go to the North End where the Italian restaurants and bakeries are. He loads up on Napoleons and cannolis. His father was an Italian pastry chef. The cannolis have to be the kind with a pudding filling, not ricotta. I think that's Sicilian style but they are hard to find. The biggest bakery in the North End has them. That place always has a line out the door.
JK

Jump to this post

@contentandwell, Much like your husband, my 84 yr young friend likewise not only enjoys but seems to thrive on what others consider a "deplorable" diet. A chocolate chip cookie and coke for breakfast; baloney on white bread for lunch, anything goes for dinner and sweet snacks in-between. No vitamins or meds ever touch his tongue but he never needs a dentist; has no need for a physician and has more energy and strength than many half his age....go figure!!! LOL

@fiesty76
Like I’ve been saying all along PROPAGANDA!!!!
Jake

@jakedduck1

@lioness
I survived your challenge Linda. Although I couldn't find any 72% I got some 73% dark chocolate.
I was able to choke it down. It left a taste in my mouth which I remedied with a scrumptious chocolate & carmel candy bar.
Nowhere near as tasty as an onion & sauerkraut sandwich.
I bet your craving another aren't you?
Although it didn't finish me off like I was fearing, I did double-check that all my final arrangements were still intact just in case.
Question is, what do I do with the 15 pieces that are left? I would throw it out but might get in trouble for polluting the landfill.
The cashier said he tried some 95% and spit it out.
@contentandwell
I bet your husband doesn’t eat dark chocolate.
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 Jake, when I first tasted the 75% dark chocolate, I nearly gagged. I kept reading how good it was for our health, so I tried again - and again - and again...and finally got a hankering for it one day when I was almost starving for some chocolate. Lo and behold, it was kinda' good! Since then, I have one square almost every day, usually after lunch or dinner when I feel something is missing for my taste buds, or if I'm hungry for "dessert". It's an excellent antioxidant among other things, so important for all my various conditions. Maybe you should give it another try? (I can just see you now, making a face and shaking your head vigorously - no, NO!)
Happy Trails. Laurie

@artist01

@jakedduck1 Jake, when I first tasted the 75% dark chocolate, I nearly gagged. I kept reading how good it was for our health, so I tried again - and again - and again...and finally got a hankering for it one day when I was almost starving for some chocolate. Lo and behold, it was kinda' good! Since then, I have one square almost every day, usually after lunch or dinner when I feel something is missing for my taste buds, or if I'm hungry for "dessert". It's an excellent antioxidant among other things, so important for all my various conditions. Maybe you should give it another try? (I can just see you now, making a face and shaking your head vigorously - no, NO!)
Happy Trails. Laurie

Jump to this post

@artist01
“Maybe you should give it another try?”
No, I think not!!!
Two questions and give it to me straight, okay,
Heath benefits aside which do like better dark or milk chocolate?
You’re fine when you eat milk chocolate did you have to learn to like it?
Do you like coffee? If so, did you have to get use to it?
Jake

@fiesty76

@avmcbellar, Thanks for the list, Toni! Very happy to olive oil listed on the "good" oils side. I'd read earlier that lard was much healthier than its more popular rival Crisco but seeing it listed on the "good" side was another prompt.

Jump to this post

@fiesty76 I was glad too. I have known for years real butter was also better than the margarines. The only problem is having those “bad” oils in foods like breads, seafood in cans, and processed foods. As a result I have decreased my weekly shopping bill. I find I am cooking more often to make my own foods from scratch like hummus and pita bread. The bad oils are also found in supplements.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.