Recipes, Food Tips, Healthy Eating & More

Posted by Debbra Williams, Alumna Mentor @debbraw, Feb 22, 2019

Some of the members of the Gratitude Discussion Group were interested in having a place to share recipes and food ideas. I’m hoping that we can use this thread as a place to have that kind of discussion. I’d love to hear your ideas for quick meals, comfort food, healthy snacks, and more.

Personally, I’ve just been through a bad reaction to one of my medications that left me with a very queasy stomach. I would love to hear ideas – or recipes – that might be used when you need to get something on your stomach, but don’t want to overdo it.

Hopefully, this thread will even be a place where we can share recipes for special treats and yummy rewards. It doesn’t always have to be healthy!

I’d love to hear from members who have been part of other discussions AND from new members who have good ideas, recipes and food tips to share. I’m excited to see who might start us off here with an awesome food suggestion!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@contentandwell

@imallears Now that you mention it, I did know that putting vinegar on fish and chips was an English thing. I am of Irish heritage but even my grandparents were born in this country -- they must have been on the first ships over here! My mother did like Welsh Rarebit, and corned beef and cabbage but I don't even know what bubble and squeak is, and we only had chicken livers, which I do like.

We also had lots of butter and eggs but in my family, most people did not make it into their 70s.
JK

Jump to this post

@comtentandwell
Hi,
Bubble and Squeak is just the leftover cabbage, potatoes (with or without corned beef) fried up in butter. It may have been called that because cabbage can be gassy I love chicken livers too. Always make sure I get the one in the turkey at thanksgiving.

Regards from FL Mary

Good morning everyone- I'd love to share with you a salad that caught my eye yesterday. There are so many things that make food appeal to people. Taste and texture and color are what's most important to me. I also buy fresh food so I know that nutrition is the highest it can be. What about you?
ngredients

¼ cup pine nuts
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar
½ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
4 to 5 ounces baby arugula
2 ripe peaches, pitted and cut into 1/4-inch slices (about 10 ounces)
½ cup julienned fresh basil leaves
2 ounces creamy goat cheese, crumbled (about ½ cup), plus more to taste

In a small sauté pan, toast the pine nuts over medium heat, tossing often, until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat.
In a small liquid measuring cup or bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper.
Place the arugula in a large salad bowl. Pour just enough dressing over the greens to moisten, and toss to coat. Add the peaches, basil, goat cheese and toasted pine nuts and toss to coat. Add more goat cheese and dressing if desired. Toss gently and serve immediately.

@merpreb

Good morning everyone- I'd love to share with you a salad that caught my eye yesterday. There are so many things that make food appeal to people. Taste and texture and color are what's most important to me. I also buy fresh food so I know that nutrition is the highest it can be. What about you?
ngredients

¼ cup pine nuts
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar
½ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
4 to 5 ounces baby arugula
2 ripe peaches, pitted and cut into 1/4-inch slices (about 10 ounces)
½ cup julienned fresh basil leaves
2 ounces creamy goat cheese, crumbled (about ½ cup), plus more to taste

In a small sauté pan, toast the pine nuts over medium heat, tossing often, until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat.
In a small liquid measuring cup or bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper.
Place the arugula in a large salad bowl. Pour just enough dressing over the greens to moisten, and toss to coat. Add the peaches, basil, goat cheese and toasted pine nuts and toss to coat. Add more goat cheese and dressing if desired. Toss gently and serve immediately.

Jump to this post

oh boy, does that recipe sound good! I have arugula in my fridge right now.

I wanted to thank @imallears for the shrimp cooking instructions! you are right, cooking shrimp yourself is better! they had a sweet flavor but I didnt add sugar? I thawed a dozen shrimp in water, then saute'd them in olive oil and a clove of garlic. served them with the arugula salad. it was yum last night! I have a bag of frozen shrimp from baja mexico it says, peeled, deveined and tail off.

@lioness

@contentandwell So some salmon so if its cheap in price it is usually farmed raised

Jump to this post

@lioness I only buy wild salmon, and now I only buy it at Whole Foods because they will take the bones out for me. Last week we had sockeye and it was delicious.
JK

@merpreb

JK- A small amount of perch are farmed. You do have to be careful

Jump to this post

@merpreb One of the reasons I like to buy my fish at Whole Foods is that they label them with exactly how they have been produced. It's a good guide. I also think they sell their fish for fewer days than the local supermarkets. I always ask when the fish came in. Some of the local stores are still selling it at five days old. I will only buy fish that came in on that day or the day before. I am very finicky.

That recipe sounds delicious but I would have to leave out the goat cheese. I miss goat cheese so much.
JK

@contentandwell- We are very careful and very finicky about the freshness of our fish too. I'm sorry about the goat cheese. There are imitation cheeses that you might want to look at?

@merpreb

@contentandwell- We are very careful and very finicky about the freshness of our fish too. I'm sorry about the goat cheese. There are imitation cheeses that you might want to look at?

Jump to this post

@merpreb I am not aware of imitation goat cheeses. I have found lactose, real dairy yogurt, cream cheese, and half and half at Whole Foods. There is no lactose, or just a trace, in hard cheeses so I content myself with them but goat cheese in a salad was soooo good. I went to goat cheese because it has about half the sodium of other cheeses and then I got sort of addicted.
JK

@merpreb Thanks, I will look into this. Some lactose intolerant people can eat goat cheese but unfortunately, not me.
JK

@merpreb

Jump to this post

@merpreb I'm just throwing this out for those who cant eat dairy in yogurt there is Almond yogurt it is pretty good . I have the vanilla almond yogurt right now. Since I have gone of dairy,nightshades and gluten I like the almond yogurt . It comes individual or the bigger container

Please sign in or register to post a reply.