Recipes, Food Tips, Healthy Eating & More

Posted by Debbra Williams, Alumna Mentor @debbraw, Feb 22, 2019

Some of the members of the Gratitude Discussion Group were interested in having a place to share recipes and food ideas. I’m hoping that we can use this thread as a place to have that kind of discussion. I’d love to hear your ideas for quick meals, comfort food, healthy snacks, and more.

Personally, I’ve just been through a bad reaction to one of my medications that left me with a very queasy stomach. I would love to hear ideas – or recipes – that might be used when you need to get something on your stomach, but don’t want to overdo it.

Hopefully, this thread will even be a place where we can share recipes for special treats and yummy rewards. It doesn’t always have to be healthy!

I’d love to hear from members who have been part of other discussions AND from new members who have good ideas, recipes and food tips to share. I’m excited to see who might start us off here with an awesome food suggestion!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

If you kids want something deliciously scrumptious fix some Swedish Kroppkakors, put butter on them for lunch or dinner and jam on them for breakfast. I put ketchup on some. My friend totally weirded out. Not a quick fix meal though. Enjoy your cockers as I called them which my friend didn’t appreciate.
Bon appétit,
Jake

@jakedduck1

If you kids want something deliciously scrumptious fix some Swedish Kroppkakors, put butter on them for lunch or dinner and jam on them for breakfast. I put ketchup on some. My friend totally weirded out. Not a quick fix meal though. Enjoy your cockers as I called them which my friend didn’t appreciate.
Bon appétit,
Jake

Jump to this post

Ok, @jakedduck1, I've learned something from you today. If anyone else is ignorant like me and does not know what Swedish Kroppkakors are. Here are a link and recipe. Really looks yummy. Thanks for broadening our food education, Leonard~

https://sweden.se/culture-traditions/kroppkakor/
@imallears

@merpreb
Turkey burgers, turkey meatloaf, turkey meatballs, .turkey chili or ground chicken with 20% fat, turkey tacos....Made it all. I also keep veggie burgers in the freezer..Costco had a brand I liked but can’t remember the name. They’re handy when I’m at a loss for a quick lunch or just because ..for dinner...some brands are mushy and others have a nice consistency. I just make sure there’s no sugar or fructose in them.

Regards from FL Mary

Jump to this post

@imallers I have tried the bean burger from an unknow brand ug. My son a vegetarian told me to get morningstart brand. He uses this so will try it .

@jakedduck1

@gingerw
Hey Ginger,
If you ever want to try lobster just get a piece of rubber and gnaw on that. The rubber will have more flavor. I foolishly tried it in Las Vegas once.
@merpreb
Don’t you have foods you don’t like? Obviously tofu is one. True I don’t like eggs, I tried an over easy one and thought I was gonna heave. My friends mother fixed me lunch, a deviled egg salad sandwich, that type of egg sure is appropriately named. I probably could eat those lumpy type eggs if they were very done smothered with ketchup. Liver, not gonna happen. I did have some smoked Salmon in Canada, it wasn’t to bad. I had Sole, I think, white fish but no flavor.. like tuna. I don’t think my diet is as limited as think or maybe I can’t remember all the junk I said I didn’t like. I weigh 162, I have 17 more pounds to lose for my goal of 145. Then it’s cheesecake with lemon curd time and a Dr Pepper.
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 Maybe a dippy egg you would like?

@hopeful33250

Ok, @jakedduck1, I've learned something from you today. If anyone else is ignorant like me and does not know what Swedish Kroppkakors are. Here are a link and recipe. Really looks yummy. Thanks for broadening our food education, Leonard~

https://sweden.se/culture-traditions/kroppkakor/

Jump to this post

@merpreb Reminds me of a Potato dumpling called potato ravioli

@lioness

@jakedduck1 Maybe a dippy egg you would like?

Jump to this post

@lioness
What the blue bloody blazes is a dippy egg?
Jake

@Erinmfs

that's a good suggestion, ground turkey. I'll have to try some. my cholesterol is rising, this would be one way to eliminate the red meat.

I've been watching the stock market, Beyond Meat is a company doing well in the stock market. Gotta figure out if I can find some of their products here locally. veggie burgers that imitate real meat.

Jump to this post

@Erinmfs Yes it is to get rid of the bad fat . When I had my by pass 23 yrs ago that was the first thing Dr. told me get of red meat. About 5 yrs later I craved beef and noodles I could smell the fat ,my dog had it and was happy .

@jakedduck1

@lioness
What the blue bloody blazes is a dippy egg?
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 Must be an Eastern thing . Its an egg cooked mediumwell The yolk you can dip your toast into it . Yummy

@imallears

@lioness
Hi
I rarely see perch in supermarkets in FL and only once (frozen) in Walmart (ugh) so I never think to look for it anymore in places like Whole Foods or Fresh Market.
Can’t remember the last time I ever ate it, probably at a restaurant. Does it have small bones? It’s a fresh water fish so I’m thinking it would be more available in coastal states. Wonder if it is expensive. Had some frozen Haddock couple of weeks ago that had some tiny bones but not enough to choke on. I wish they would stop selling that trashy tilapia. I can’t even remember seeing perch on menus and I always peruse the seafood items.
Will let you know if I ever come across it.

FL Mary

Jump to this post

@imallears We use to fish for it in fresh water ,lakes ,ponds,. It has a pinkish scales on it Its been so long since I had it . It has small bones and a little sweet taste I think. Maybe we only had it in Northeastern states ,since the weather is cooler ,anyone else have Perch? I agree cant stand Tilapia it is trashy yes

@hopeful33250

@merpreb
Hi Merry: The only way I can eat tofu is to prepare as you would egg salad. Take a fork and mash it, add mayo, onions, pickle relish or whatever you would normally put in egg salad. Spread it on bread/toast/English muffins. Really pretty good.

Jump to this post

@hopeful33250 Hi Teresa I don't like Tofu in any shape. When my son,vegetatrian came home when my husband he fixed a Tofu Turkey yuk, my dog got it I ate the vegies and potatoes. He is a teaser and loves to tease me but I didn't appreciate this fortunately my girlfriend had us down for turkey. Reprieve

Please sign in or register to post a reply.