Polymyalgia Rheumatica (PMR): Meet others & Share Your Story

Welcome to the Polymyalgia Rheumatica (PMR) group on Mayo Clinic Connect.

Meet other members who are dealing with PMR. Let’s learn from each other and share stories about living well with PMR, coping with the challenges and offering tips.We look forward to welcoming you and introducing you to other members. Feel free to browse the topics or start a new one.

Grab a cup of coffee or beverage of choice and let’s chat. Why not start by introducing yourself? What's your experience with PMR? How are you doing today?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Polymyalgia Rheumatica (PMR) Support Group.

@saltyg

I was diagnosed in beginning of Dec 2022 after having experienced a few weeks of extreme fatigue and weakness. I was feeling like I had been doing pushups all night when waking up. During the night it was hard for me to even move my bedsheets. I also had pain in unusual places. I say that because I already had been suffering with chronic pain from Ankylosing Spondylitis for many years. Usually my pain was hip down, but now it was hips up - upper back, ribs, arms, shoulder, neck. Plus some headaches, not something I normally have.
My rheummy pretty much said after a few questions you probably have PMR, which I never heard of. I am I like to say ONLY 56 (lol). Anyway he said we try a course of steroids if I improve well that’s it. So I did a Medrol pack (which I have had many times over the years having Iritis connected to my AS) but I never wiped out all my symptoms like this one. I felt awesome. That lasted about a month and then I noticed PMR symptoms coming back so I took another Medrol pack hoping for at least another month. Well I took my last dose on a Thursday morning by Thursday night I could barely lift my arms. After a couple of days I couldn’t take it anymore. I called the rheumatologist back and he said well you’re gonna have to just be on steroids for a long time. Let’s start with a low dose and see if it has to work up higher. We started with 5 mg - it helped but not enough so then I had to go up to 7 1/2, which I pretty much have been on for about two months. I am due to go back and see him for the first time after being diagnosed, which is the purpose for this post.
Any helpful hints on questions I should ask now that I am going back. It seems pretty well under control at the 7 1/2 although I can tell it’s still there and if I overdo it, there’s definitely flares. Potentially I could do a little better by going higher, but reading all this tapering off stuff not sure if it’s worth it? Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks, wholeness and wellness to everybody.

Jump to this post

Interesting post as I also have been dealing with AS (since 1972, give or take). Over those decades I managed the pain with exercise and meds. AS has run its course and most pain gone as many joints are fused. Luckily I am not bent over but cannot paint a ceiling or catch a pop fly ball to save myself.

You did not mention your SED Rate and CRP readings. My rheumatologist uses those to help determine best Pred doses and timing of tapers. Not sure I always buy into that science as there are times i’m hurting and he is disinclined to raise my dosage. Currently at 4mg and will start 2 in day and 2 in middle of night, as mentioned in postings. Then down to 3.5 in a week or two. Wishing you and others all the best.

@annettetompkins

Hi, I'm just about where you are except a couple of months ago, I tapered down from 3 mg to 2 mg and had a flare up. Went back to 3 and then to 4. I then tapered down by 1/2 mg every 3 weeks and just reduced a week ago to 2 mg with good results. I find that taking two Tylenol with my Prednisone in the morning helps a lot. I plan to stay with 2 mg for at least a month and then try 1 1/2 mg. No one wants to stay on Prednisone long term, but where would we be without it? My advice is to try 1/2 mg at a time.

Jump to this post

Tapering by 1/2 mg every two weeks is working for me so far. I am down to 6 mg.

I was diagnosed with PMR in November 2022. I thought I was suffering from a yoga
injury but after three weeks of pain in the hips and then shoulder and arm pain I realized this was not a bad mattress or an injury. A friend suggested that I might have PMR and that her mother and her aunt had been diagnosed years ago.
I had checked on lupus , fibromyalgia, and Lyme's Disease earlier that same day. After checking Google for the symptoms I knew that PMR was my diagnosis.
My gerontologist saw me within the week, did the blood work and agreed . Put me on 40mg of prednisone for a month. I had relief within an hour, tapered to 20, then 15, 10. Two weeks for each dose as I tapered. Pain returned at 9mg.
Pain is only in the morning after getting out of bed. I am dealing with it as it is completely gone after 9am. I walk my dog four miles each day, go to yoga three mornings a week and a spin class twice.
I would like to be off prednisone but I am not there yet. Trying to be patient.
I am grateful for my great medical care and this site.
Thank you,
Mary Rose

@jerseyjames

Interesting post as I also have been dealing with AS (since 1972, give or take). Over those decades I managed the pain with exercise and meds. AS has run its course and most pain gone as many joints are fused. Luckily I am not bent over but cannot paint a ceiling or catch a pop fly ball to save myself.

You did not mention your SED Rate and CRP readings. My rheumatologist uses those to help determine best Pred doses and timing of tapers. Not sure I always buy into that science as there are times i’m hurting and he is disinclined to raise my dosage. Currently at 4mg and will start 2 in day and 2 in middle of night, as mentioned in postings. Then down to 3.5 in a week or two. Wishing you and others all the best.

Jump to this post

My SED rate and CRP are always normal. I have like a minuscule up tick in CRP on Dec when I was diagnosed. It’s always been the same with AS I have a pretty severe case but controlled with biologic and lifestyle management. I don’t show inflammation in bloodwork but it is there big time. Without meds and taking care of myself I would not move. That’s amazing you have AS so long and can still function so well with fusing!

I am not sure of what AS is.

@maggie14

I am not sure of what AS is.

Jump to this post

Ankylosing Spondylitis (AS)

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/ankylosing-spondylitis/symptoms-causes/syc-20354808#:~:text=Ankylosing%20spondylitis%2C%20also%20known%20as,be%20difficult%20to%20breathe%20deeply.

There are several types of spondylitis but AS is the more common type and perhaps the most severe.

https://www.healthline.com/health/spondylitis-types#types

The mixture of PMR and spondyloarthritis isn't a good thing.

@saltyg and @jerseyjames

I was diagnosed with Reactive Arthritis (ReA) with Uveitis about 35 years ago. PMR was added to the mix about 15 years ago. I wasn't offered a biologic when PMR was diagnosed. I needed high doses of prednisone to keep everything under control.

Taking prednisone daily for 12 years didn't help my overall health and well-being. I wasn't able to taper off prednisone until Actemra (tocilizumab) was offered to me to treat PMR.

I was allowed to try Humira for uveitis but it didn't work as well as Actemra did for PMR. My rheumatologist said I couldn't take both Humira and Actemra. I was allowed to pick which biologic worked the best for me.

@jerseyjames

Jump to this post

What medication are you currently on for AS? Biologic?

I'm curious, has anyone else had a chronic increase in moncytes?

@saltyg

What medication are you currently on for AS? Biologic?

Jump to this post

I did an Enbrel trial back when it first was available but it had no effect. My PCP sort of predicted this as the AS had run its course; the inflammation was history; and I was left with fused joints and less pain. I got off the NSAID & Oxy and have taken Tylenol ever since. I don’t drink any alcohol so that made the transition to Prednisone tapering 3 years ago easier. Suspect others may have different experiences with biologics. I suspect they would have made a huge difference if available in the 70’s.

@jerseyjames

I did an Enbrel trial back when it first was available but it had no effect. My PCP sort of predicted this as the AS had run its course; the inflammation was history; and I was left with fused joints and less pain. I got off the NSAID & Oxy and have taken Tylenol ever since. I don’t drink any alcohol so that made the transition to Prednisone tapering 3 years ago easier. Suspect others may have different experiences with biologics. I suspect they would have made a huge difference if available in the 70’s.

Jump to this post

Do your liver scores up with Tylenol?

A normal ALT score for me is like 13 U/L.

But my ALT score went up to something like 95 U/L when I was taking 1000 mg of Tylenol every 6 hours in January. (This before being diagnosed with PMR and treated with prednisone - the pain was severe).

So I transitioned to ibuprofen, which was just as effective, and did not bother my liver. I've been afraid to take much Tylenol since. (My ALT score went back down to 13 U/L).

What's your experience? Thanks.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.