Polymyalgia Rheumatica (PMR): Meet others & Share Your Story

Welcome to the Polymyalgia Rheumatica (PMR) group on Mayo Clinic Connect.

Meet other members who are dealing with PMR. Let’s learn from each other and share stories about living well with PMR, coping with the challenges and offering tips.We look forward to welcoming you and introducing you to other members. Feel free to browse the topics or start a new one.

Grab a cup of coffee or beverage of choice and let’s chat. Why not start by introducing yourself? What's your experience with PMR? How are you doing today?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Polymyalgia Rheumatica (PMR) Support Group.

I was diagnosed in beginning of Dec 2022 after having experienced a few weeks of extreme fatigue and weakness. I was feeling like I had been doing pushups all night when waking up. During the night it was hard for me to even move my bedsheets. I also had pain in unusual places. I say that because I already had been suffering with chronic pain from Ankylosing Spondylitis for many years. Usually my pain was hip down, but now it was hips up - upper back, ribs, arms, shoulder, neck. Plus some headaches, not something I normally have.
My rheummy pretty much said after a few questions you probably have PMR, which I never heard of. I am I like to say ONLY 56 (lol). Anyway he said we try a course of steroids if I improve well that’s it. So I did a Medrol pack (which I have had many times over the years having Iritis connected to my AS) but I never wiped out all my symptoms like this one. I felt awesome. That lasted about a month and then I noticed PMR symptoms coming back so I took another Medrol pack hoping for at least another month. Well I took my last dose on a Thursday morning by Thursday night I could barely lift my arms. After a couple of days I couldn’t take it anymore. I called the rheumatologist back and he said well you’re gonna have to just be on steroids for a long time. Let’s start with a low dose and see if it has to work up higher. We started with 5 mg - it helped but not enough so then I had to go up to 7 1/2, which I pretty much have been on for about two months. I am due to go back and see him for the first time after being diagnosed, which is the purpose for this post.
Any helpful hints on questions I should ask now that I am going back. It seems pretty well under control at the 7 1/2 although I can tell it’s still there and if I overdo it, there’s definitely flares. Potentially I could do a little better by going higher, but reading all this tapering off stuff not sure if it’s worth it? Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks, wholeness and wellness to everybody.

There’s some very helpful posts here on tapering off prednisone. You might find it helpful after a month or two on 7.5 mg to try very slow tapering (no more than 10% drop in dose when trying a lower dose). See image . One day of 7 mg then 6 days 7.5. 1 day 7 mg then 5 days 7.5 and so on - see posts on very slow tapering & image attached. Good luck with it. Good news that you r getting relief with prednisone.

@saltyg

I was diagnosed in beginning of Dec 2022 after having experienced a few weeks of extreme fatigue and weakness. I was feeling like I had been doing pushups all night when waking up. During the night it was hard for me to even move my bedsheets. I also had pain in unusual places. I say that because I already had been suffering with chronic pain from Ankylosing Spondylitis for many years. Usually my pain was hip down, but now it was hips up - upper back, ribs, arms, shoulder, neck. Plus some headaches, not something I normally have.
My rheummy pretty much said after a few questions you probably have PMR, which I never heard of. I am I like to say ONLY 56 (lol). Anyway he said we try a course of steroids if I improve well that’s it. So I did a Medrol pack (which I have had many times over the years having Iritis connected to my AS) but I never wiped out all my symptoms like this one. I felt awesome. That lasted about a month and then I noticed PMR symptoms coming back so I took another Medrol pack hoping for at least another month. Well I took my last dose on a Thursday morning by Thursday night I could barely lift my arms. After a couple of days I couldn’t take it anymore. I called the rheumatologist back and he said well you’re gonna have to just be on steroids for a long time. Let’s start with a low dose and see if it has to work up higher. We started with 5 mg - it helped but not enough so then I had to go up to 7 1/2, which I pretty much have been on for about two months. I am due to go back and see him for the first time after being diagnosed, which is the purpose for this post.
Any helpful hints on questions I should ask now that I am going back. It seems pretty well under control at the 7 1/2 although I can tell it’s still there and if I overdo it, there’s definitely flares. Potentially I could do a little better by going higher, but reading all this tapering off stuff not sure if it’s worth it? Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks, wholeness and wellness to everybody.

Jump to this post

I recently stopped getting updates so just have signed up again. Question now is I've been on prednisone starting at 20 mg for about a year and a half. I'm down to 3 mg holding there. Pain is really bad in the morning, 8 out of 10 but gets better after I take my prednisone. Anyone else experiencing this? I know the normal answer is to go up but I want to get off prednisone so bad. My bones are awful.. I'm 76 years old and very active still. During the day I can still walk and be very active. I just know I can't go down in the dose right now. Any ideas?

@sandy1988

I recently stopped getting updates so just have signed up again. Question now is I've been on prednisone starting at 20 mg for about a year and a half. I'm down to 3 mg holding there. Pain is really bad in the morning, 8 out of 10 but gets better after I take my prednisone. Anyone else experiencing this? I know the normal answer is to go up but I want to get off prednisone so bad. My bones are awful.. I'm 76 years old and very active still. During the day I can still walk and be very active. I just know I can't go down in the dose right now. Any ideas?

Jump to this post

At age 79 my morning pain almost disappeared when I began taking part of my dose at 2 AM (or whenever I wake up between 1:30-3). The explanation for this is found elsewhere in this forum. Good luck!

@saltyg

Jump to this post

I am in a similar situation in some ways, though I have been on prednisone longer, since August 2021. 8 mgs is the dose where I know I still have the disease but I can function. On my way down to that dose from 20 mg, 10 was the lowest dose where I had no symptoms but there were more side effects like insomnia and heart rhythm issues. I have tried going lower and had 4 major flare-ups (unable to raise my arms and barely able to walk due to hip pain in the morning). At this point I do not believe it is worth it to try going lower until I feel better at 8 mg. From what I have read here everyone has a different experience and my advise is listen to your body and work with your doctor to find the best dose. Since I have been "stuck" at 8 mg for quite a while my doctor recommends that I add methotrexate to the prednisone in order to get to a lower dose.

Yes you do @linda7 have a very similar situation. I start with methotrexate years ago when I started AS treatments. Other than losing my arm and leg hair I don’t remember other side effects. If shaving less is it…I am game. 😁

@lizferrier

There’s some very helpful posts here on tapering off prednisone. You might find it helpful after a month or two on 7.5 mg to try very slow tapering (no more than 10% drop in dose when trying a lower dose). See image . One day of 7 mg then 6 days 7.5. 1 day 7 mg then 5 days 7.5 and so on - see posts on very slow tapering & image attached. Good luck with it. Good news that you r getting relief with prednisone.

Jump to this post

I am sure I am not ready to taper but will keep this for when the time comes thank u!

@sandy1988

Jump to this post

Hi, I'm just about where you are except a couple of months ago, I tapered down from 3 mg to 2 mg and had a flare up. Went back to 3 and then to 4. I then tapered down by 1/2 mg every 3 weeks and just reduced a week ago to 2 mg with good results. I find that taking two Tylenol with my Prednisone in the morning helps a lot. I plan to stay with 2 mg for at least a month and then try 1 1/2 mg. No one wants to stay on Prednisone long term, but where would we be without it? My advice is to try 1/2 mg at a time.

@sandy1988

Jump to this post

This early morning partial prednisone dose also worked for me.

I take ⅓ of my daily dose around 2 am. Apparently the immune system is most active in the early morning hours and this 2 am dose diminishes it. No more pain in the morning!

I'm so happy to have learned about this on this forum. Hats off to @pkalkstein.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.