Mysterious shortness of breath: What has helped you?

Posted by Gabe, Volunteer Mentor @gabrielm, May 31, 2018

I will try to make this as short as possible, but this has been going on for over 5 years, so it might be farily long. 

Beginning in summer of 2012, I began having shortness of breath (SOB) with no other symptoms. I felt a constant need to yawn, and every few breaths wouldn't satisfy the SOB. I would take a deep breath, and felt like it would get "stuck" before satisfying the air hunger feeling. About every 3-5 deep breaths would satisfy it, only for it to return a minute later. 

I got an endoscopy and other tests done, which revealed that I had some esophageal erosion due to acid reflux and a slight hiatal hernia and was diagnosed with GERD. I had always have bad heartburn, so I was prescribed with Prilosec, which I have been taking daily since them. I've tried stopping it a few times but the reflux always comes back a lot worse. 

Lung tests and x-rays were normal. Heart tests normal. Blood test revealed a slight anemia but otherwise pretty normal. 

I did some research reading forums where someone suggested taking vitamin B-12. Strangely, I took it and the SOB disappeared almost instantly. However, it only lasted a few days for it to return just as bad. I then started taking an iron supplement, which again made the SOB disappear quickly- same thing; symptom returned days later. 

After further research, I came across a breathing exercise method called the Buteyko method. Essentially you do a lot of breath holding to build up CO2 and reduce breathing as the theory is that I had chronic hyperventilation causing too much CO2 to exit my body. After applying the method and reducing my breathing, the SOB disappeared after only 2 days and I felt completely normal. I continued the method a few more days then no longer felt the need to pursue the exercises. I was normal for a whole year when the SOB once again returned with some chest tightness. I applied the method again and the symptom went away, this time with a little more effort; after about 3 weeks. I included physical exercise which also helped with my breathing. 

After that, I was normal for about 2 years. I mistakenly stopped or at least slowed down exercise and the SOB returned once again. I applied the method and began running for exercise but the SOB kept getting worse. It got so bad, I had multiple panic attacks and the feeling of completely empty lungs with the inability to satisfy it with deep breaths. I had to stop exercise altogether, apply the Buteyko method and do breathing exercises very carefully with very light and slow exercise. This helped, but it took many weeks for the SOB to improve. Then, it was almost normal when over a year ago as I was running, I couldn't get a deep breath to satisfy exercise-induced SOB. I have had SOB continuously since then (a year and a half). 

I once again started doing breathing exercises and slowly building up physical exercise, but I can't do any prolonged cardio activity because the SOB gets to a point where deep breathing will not satisfy it. While the breathing exercises have helped, they have had very little effect compared to previous efforts. It seems that every time the symptom returned, greater effort yields few results.

I suspect there is something, some underlying cause that is causing the SOB that has alluded me this entire time. 

So for the past few months to a year, the SOB is worse on some days, better on others, but never gone. There's no rhyme or reason or pattern for it. It's just there, sometimes affecting my sleep. I sometimes can't get a deep breath to satisfy it every now and then, but for the most part, a big gulp of air will satisfy it. But it returns seconds to minutes later. It's as though every breath doesn't deliver what it's supposed to, the SOB builds up, and then I have to take a big gulp of air to get rid of the feeling, pattern repeats. My breathing pattern is normal, however. I don't feel like anything physical is happening, but sometimes it feels like my airways and nostrils are slightly inflamed due to allergies, but when I don't feel inflammation the SOB is still there. 

Recent lung function tests show normal- I don't have asthma, or any other problems with my lungs. Heart tests are normal though I did have about a two week bout of heart palpitations which came and went. Haven't had any for a while- it just mysteriously started happening then stopped. Blood tests are normal, though tests always show a slight elevation of biliruben which my doc thinks is Gilbert's disease. 

I don't have sleep apnea (normal test), bloody oxygenation is normal, heart rate normal. 

I recently saw local naturopath (since mainstream docs aren't able to help) who immediately suspected a liver problem when I described my SOB, possibly liver inflammation. He used an electrodermal testing machine to test his theory which did seem to show a problem with my liver and gallbladder. He gave me digestive enzymes and a gallbladder formula to help clear a bile duct clog, thus reducing liver inflammation. He also determined with the machine that I have an egg sensitivity so I've been avoiding eggs. 

Been taking this and avoiding eggs for a couple of months, but there has been no noticeable improvement. Everything else is normal. Emotionally I'm normal- no anxiety, depression, etc. The SOB seems to be the only symptom of something, but always comes back worse, until a year and half ago when it came back and has remained since. I feel like I shouldn't have to do breath holding exercises every day just to maintain my breathing well enough to do every day things. 

Does anyone have any idea of a possible underlying cause?

2021/2022 UPDATE:
Since my original post about 3-1/2 years ago, a lot has happened, so I’d like to update the post to share with others who come across this what I’ve done since then.

I have maintained a weekly Buteyko method breathing exercise regimen where I do a few of these breathing exercises 3-4 times a week in the morning. This, in combination with daily light to moderate exercise (specifically weight lifting, with 1 or 2 days a week of walking and light jogging), I feel has kept the air hunger symptoms tolerable and manageable. I have mostly good days with some not-so-good days, but doing a breathing exercise and knowing that it’ll get better again helps me get through those times.

I also have sinus inflammation which can exacerbate the symptoms, but I’ve also managed this, which in turn reduces the severity of the air hunger symptoms.

So, while I haven’t found a cure nor is the problem completely gone, I have been able to maintain normalcy in daily life and manage the symptoms through the strategies I described.

This discussion remains active, alive and well through the comments section where others who have similar symptoms have shared what has helped them as well as suggestions for possible solutions to explore.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Lung Health Support Group.

@marcuscurypko

Hi Gabe,
I have now been doing Buteyko for a little over a month and my control pause is stable at 45-50 seconds, and there are times when it can be 50+. Unfortunately, the SOB remains. For how long did you practise Buteyko before you felt some change or improvement?
Having recently seen an ENT and been cleared, there is literally nowhere else to look for physical issues which means this must be mental / emotional. Whilst that's a relief, this SOB is still hugely frustrating and at time debilitating.

Jump to this post

Hi @marcusurypko,

Have you experienced any relief at all? It took a couple of weeks to notice improvement and the issue really diminished a few weeks after that.

How many times a day are you doing exercises? When I was in the middle of it, I was doing three sessions a day and tapered off as I improved. I also did physical exercises (weightlifting) with mild to moderate intensity using nasal breathing which also helped improve my breathing greatly. Are you incorporating physical exericse?

I have been going pretty much through the same with the palpitations and breathing,only my breathing doesn't seem to get as severe as yours. Heart tests normal...lungs clear. So I went to the ER not that long ago and they finally did a CT Scan. Turns out this time I did have Pneumonitis. Had never heard of it before. Now I have Allergies flaring up and my lungs are tight and it hurts like hell to breathe. I found out years ago that my Allergies are actually Allergic reactions to the pollen and so fourth. Have you ever tried checking in with an Allergist? Allergies can have a lot to do with lung health and breathing problems 🤧 Just throwing that out there. It's worth a shot if you can get it to stop.

Hi @suzzee3, I'm glad your symptoms aren't worse. It's better when things are manageable! In fact I do deal some allergies, mostly seasonal, but have that under good control between nasal spray antihistamines and allergy shots. I do notice that when my sinuses are inflamed or blocked, the air hunger definitely comes back but then goes down when my sinuses are clear. So between allergy management and breathing exercises, my air hunger symptoms are mostly kept at bay with flare ups every now and again.

@marcuscurypko

I now think it's likely that my SOB is anxiety related, but weirdly, I don't feel stressed or anxious. The onset occurred during a hugely stressful period of life and despite a lot of the stressors going away, the SOB has not. What's your advice for dealing with sub conscious anxiety?

Jump to this post

Ye marcus I’m glad to hear you’re opening yourself up to this possibility. You don’t feel stressed or anxious EXCEPT around the breathing symptom. That’s the whole point, this is your anxiety more so than this is “caused” by anxiety. I’ve wrote many messages on how to let this go away forever. Anxiety paradox on instagram as well as dare anxiety, Shaan kassam on YouTube, Claire weekes book. All free resources don’t worry I didn’t spend a penny. It’s acceptance, that’s what you need. It’s natural, it’s not some whacky solution like think of this or that to get rid. You feel the symptom and you have a choice to show importance or unimportance, choose unimportance. You need to just stop trying to control or better this and fully engage in your life (you can’t live a life like your sick or it shows importance still, you see). People don’t like the solution because they want a quick fix that makes them feel like they’re in complete control but this solution is really quite great because your life is the prize. You’ve been not fully living it while you had this cause it either caused you to think it was dangerous to live normal or maybe just kept your focus all day every day. Well you don’t have to anymore. Live your life. Stop trying to make the anxiety better. It happens when your brain doesn’t see it as a threat, and this happens when the brain forgets, and this happens when you genuinely stop caring in your conscious mind. Acceptance is passive. Don’t think you can just get this perfect first week/month. Look at the resources I told you.

Disclaimer that I am not a doctor or therapist. You and your doctor are in charge of your health. This is just how I recovered from physical anxiety which I thought was soooooooo real like everyone else

@marcuscurypko

Hi Gabe,
I have now been doing Buteyko for a little over a month and my control pause is stable at 45-50 seconds, and there are times when it can be 50+. Unfortunately, the SOB remains. For how long did you practise Buteyko before you felt some change or improvement?
Having recently seen an ENT and been cleared, there is literally nowhere else to look for physical issues which means this must be mental / emotional. Whilst that's a relief, this SOB is still hugely frustrating and at time debilitating.

Jump to this post

This was literally me, Marcus private message me I’ll give you a contact detail so you can ask questions as much as you need about the road to recovery cause it’s not instant

So glad I ran across this today as I have had these exact symptoms for years and years, at least 30 and have never been able to figure out why! It seems to have gotten progressively worse over the years also with some days being worse than others! Some days ibwont even notice it where others itll be so bad i think im going to have a panic attack! It is scary and so frustrating absolutely! I didn't know there were so many other ppl out there suffering the exact same as me! And that no one has ever found the direct cause!! Wowww, also all of the symptoms that just about everyone that's commented on here are so similar, hopefully someone will eventually get to the bottom of it!

@shawnam

So glad I ran across this today as I have had these exact symptoms for years and years, at least 30 and have never been able to figure out why! It seems to have gotten progressively worse over the years also with some days being worse than others! Some days ibwont even notice it where others itll be so bad i think im going to have a panic attack! It is scary and so frustrating absolutely! I didn't know there were so many other ppl out there suffering the exact same as me! And that no one has ever found the direct cause!! Wowww, also all of the symptoms that just about everyone that's commented on here are so similar, hopefully someone will eventually get to the bottom of it!

Jump to this post

Direct cause for me was anxiety. I had periods where it was like you say some days nothing some days it’s terrible. This kept me from living my life fully and eventually caused the symptoms to come back as strong as ever 24/7 every day- which caused me to practically never leave my house for 6 months until I “fixed it”.
Solution is to be completely indifferent to it. That your days or weeks of symptoms vs no symptoms should be remembered the same. That at the end of the day when asked did you have symptoms if so what time, that you genuinely can’t remember. This happens when you don’t give it any value. When your brain stops seeing this as a threat or anything important, your anxiety(survival alarm) will stop producing it. It’s a paradox. The more you try to get better the worse it’ll get. Stop trying to fix. Let it be. Bring it with you. Focus only on life.

People do this subconsciously and then give credit for the symptom going away to buteyko or to food or to exercise or whatever. No it is truly when you stop caring and forget all about it being an issue.

To those with very strong symptoms atm, my advice would be to just wake up every day with a can do attitude, bring the symptom with you no matter how strong, get out of the house and be as active in your life. Soon after you’ll have periods where you won’t feel it because by living NORMALLY with this you show your body “this is no threat. Once you have these periods don’t start trying to make the symptom better again, this is what’s tricky the symptom going came from you forgetting about it, how do you forget? You don’t, the more you try to forget the harder you’ll remember. Forgetting and not focusing comes passively. When you actively do something-life, you passively stop trying to fix your anxiety. But just one thing it’s not trying to distract from symptom, focusing on life won’t mean symptom won’t be felt just as strong it’ll mean though you can start living fully again. And when you have stopped caring one shred of effort on whether or not the symptom is there or not then it won’t be.

I’m not a doctor or therapist. You and your doctor are in charge of your mental or physical health.

@yessir321

Direct cause for me was anxiety. I had periods where it was like you say some days nothing some days it’s terrible. This kept me from living my life fully and eventually caused the symptoms to come back as strong as ever 24/7 every day- which caused me to practically never leave my house for 6 months until I “fixed it”.
Solution is to be completely indifferent to it. That your days or weeks of symptoms vs no symptoms should be remembered the same. That at the end of the day when asked did you have symptoms if so what time, that you genuinely can’t remember. This happens when you don’t give it any value. When your brain stops seeing this as a threat or anything important, your anxiety(survival alarm) will stop producing it. It’s a paradox. The more you try to get better the worse it’ll get. Stop trying to fix. Let it be. Bring it with you. Focus only on life.

People do this subconsciously and then give credit for the symptom going away to buteyko or to food or to exercise or whatever. No it is truly when you stop caring and forget all about it being an issue.

To those with very strong symptoms atm, my advice would be to just wake up every day with a can do attitude, bring the symptom with you no matter how strong, get out of the house and be as active in your life. Soon after you’ll have periods where you won’t feel it because by living NORMALLY with this you show your body “this is no threat. Once you have these periods don’t start trying to make the symptom better again, this is what’s tricky the symptom going came from you forgetting about it, how do you forget? You don’t, the more you try to forget the harder you’ll remember. Forgetting and not focusing comes passively. When you actively do something-life, you passively stop trying to fix your anxiety. But just one thing it’s not trying to distract from symptom, focusing on life won’t mean symptom won’t be felt just as strong it’ll mean though you can start living fully again. And when you have stopped caring one shred of effort on whether or not the symptom is there or not then it won’t be.

I’m not a doctor or therapist. You and your doctor are in charge of your mental or physical health.

Jump to this post

@yassir, it's certainly worth a try. While it may or may not be the smoking gun for some people, doing what you can to ignore the symptoms (so long as they're not serious or there's not some sort of other real, underlying cause) can provide relief. I know many here say that they don't notice it much when they're distracted, including myself. Typical of low discomfort and low pain incidences, distractions and focusing the mind on other things can be a powerful tool. Engaging the mind with positive thinking, positive thoughts, and being hopeful go a long way with reducing these symptoms and other symptoms, even if just perception. The mind and body are connected more powerfully than we understand as demonstrated by the placebo effect, hypochondriacs, and some mental conditions. It's still always good to get routine tests done to rule out anything more serious as shortness of breath and air hunger can be indications of something more serious. But yes, those who have ruled most things out and are on a longer term journey to figure it out, dealing with anxiety and using the mind to reduce symptoms would go a long way.

@yessir321

Okay first things first you shouldn’t do buteyko without clean bill of health. Get your check done for heart. Once your doctor says all clear. Then you can truly accept anxiety. Your general doctor may even diagnose you directly with anxiety. Mine eventually did (for anyone doubtful it took me 6 months after this to actually even believe it to be anxiety). Theanxietyparadox on Instagram is the greatest. Everyone reading this just think about anxiety this way. What is anxiety? It’s not being afraid. It’s not having mental battles or whatever. It’s an incorrect relationship with your thoughts feelings and sensations. Your heart thumps loud skips a beat, a sufferer will try control that prevent that resist that, a person who doesn’t suffer with anxiety shrugs knows they can’t stop what their body produces. So In this same manner when you all (I suspect many) that come to this forum, when you truly treat this awful feeling as nothing, refocus on what you can control(i.e your actions in life) and just surrender fully. You become slowly normal again. But this is the key thing and why it’s a paradox and why you all get stuck. The more you try to “get” better(stop the feeling being noticed) the worse you will get. So your goal is not losing symptom if it is your goal that’ll never happen. Your goal is life. When you wake up everyday your goal should be to be indifferent to this, you may not like it but it is coming with you you know you can’t control it so WHY BOTHER TO TRY AND CONTROL IT.
Thing is, someone like me now I don’t care if it came back tomorrow and that’s the reason why I’m recovered. You don’t use this as a tool to rid it. You genuinely see you can live a happy day if you don’t let it affect you. And the fact you are indifferent to it then it doesn’t even matter if it is there. But as I said your goal is life. In my opinion, buteyko or supplements or diet changes, whatever is against this acceptance. To fully benefit you can’t do both because you have to show unimportance. You can’t show it if you’re dedicating time to buteyko or whatever. I did buteyko once upon a time. My symptoms subsided for a bit due to the fact I forced myself to go into college every day and symptoms decreased tremendously same time I started buteyko so it got the credit unfortunately. The people who still believe it to have fixed their problem imo are holding on to a similar scenario. They want to be in control they want to have a tool to fix it. They can’t accept the lack of control that they are at the mercy of whatever thought or feeling or sensation their body finds. That’s just my opinion. No hate all love everybody. Hope you all start living life happy.

Jump to this post

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I’ve been experiencing this for 6 weeks now. I’m fine sleeping and when I’m busy doing things like working or other. I’ve researched reasons why and really couldn’t figure it out. I do have GERD but I’ve had it for years. I’ve never thought I had anxiety at all. I’m very strong minded but I do have to except it’s in my mind only. I’m 51 and very healthy. Exercise everyday and eat healthy. Thank you again

@spigolle

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I’ve been experiencing this for 6 weeks now. I’m fine sleeping and when I’m busy doing things like working or other. I’ve researched reasons why and really couldn’t figure it out. I do have GERD but I’ve had it for years. I’ve never thought I had anxiety at all. I’m very strong minded but I do have to except it’s in my mind only. I’m 51 and very healthy. Exercise everyday and eat healthy. Thank you again

Jump to this post

Oh and thank you Gabe for starting this thread. I was searching for answers for a bit now. You kind of think it’s not normal so you don’t even talk a bout it. I will keep people updated as I said in my previous post. The more I think about the issues the more I take deep breaths and think about it. I think for people in the non related health issues the mental is a huge part of it. I wish everybody with this or any other health issues they may have, my hope for you all to be healthy and live long lives.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.