Mysterious shortness of breath: What has helped you?

Posted by Gabe, Volunteer Mentor @gabrielm, May 31, 2018

I will try to make this as short as possible, but this has been going on for over 5 years, so it might be farily long. 

Beginning in summer of 2012, I began having shortness of breath (SOB) with no other symptoms. I felt a constant need to yawn, and every few breaths wouldn't satisfy the SOB. I would take a deep breath, and felt like it would get "stuck" before satisfying the air hunger feeling. About every 3-5 deep breaths would satisfy it, only for it to return a minute later. 

I got an endoscopy and other tests done, which revealed that I had some esophageal erosion due to acid reflux and a slight hiatal hernia and was diagnosed with GERD. I had always have bad heartburn, so I was prescribed with Prilosec, which I have been taking daily since them. I've tried stopping it a few times but the reflux always comes back a lot worse. 

Lung tests and x-rays were normal. Heart tests normal. Blood test revealed a slight anemia but otherwise pretty normal. 

I did some research reading forums where someone suggested taking vitamin B-12. Strangely, I took it and the SOB disappeared almost instantly. However, it only lasted a few days for it to return just as bad. I then started taking an iron supplement, which again made the SOB disappear quickly- same thing; symptom returned days later. 

After further research, I came across a breathing exercise method called the Buteyko method. Essentially you do a lot of breath holding to build up CO2 and reduce breathing as the theory is that I had chronic hyperventilation causing too much CO2 to exit my body. After applying the method and reducing my breathing, the SOB disappeared after only 2 days and I felt completely normal. I continued the method a few more days then no longer felt the need to pursue the exercises. I was normal for a whole year when the SOB once again returned with some chest tightness. I applied the method again and the symptom went away, this time with a little more effort; after about 3 weeks. I included physical exercise which also helped with my breathing. 

After that, I was normal for about 2 years. I mistakenly stopped or at least slowed down exercise and the SOB returned once again. I applied the method and began running for exercise but the SOB kept getting worse. It got so bad, I had multiple panic attacks and the feeling of completely empty lungs with the inability to satisfy it with deep breaths. I had to stop exercise altogether, apply the Buteyko method and do breathing exercises very carefully with very light and slow exercise. This helped, but it took many weeks for the SOB to improve. Then, it was almost normal when over a year ago as I was running, I couldn't get a deep breath to satisfy exercise-induced SOB. I have had SOB continuously since then (a year and a half). 

I once again started doing breathing exercises and slowly building up physical exercise, but I can't do any prolonged cardio activity because the SOB gets to a point where deep breathing will not satisfy it. While the breathing exercises have helped, they have had very little effect compared to previous efforts. It seems that every time the symptom returned, greater effort yields few results.

I suspect there is something, some underlying cause that is causing the SOB that has alluded me this entire time. 

So for the past few months to a year, the SOB is worse on some days, better on others, but never gone. There's no rhyme or reason or pattern for it. It's just there, sometimes affecting my sleep. I sometimes can't get a deep breath to satisfy it every now and then, but for the most part, a big gulp of air will satisfy it. But it returns seconds to minutes later. It's as though every breath doesn't deliver what it's supposed to, the SOB builds up, and then I have to take a big gulp of air to get rid of the feeling, pattern repeats. My breathing pattern is normal, however. I don't feel like anything physical is happening, but sometimes it feels like my airways and nostrils are slightly inflamed due to allergies, but when I don't feel inflammation the SOB is still there. 

Recent lung function tests show normal- I don't have asthma, or any other problems with my lungs. Heart tests are normal though I did have about a two week bout of heart palpitations which came and went. Haven't had any for a while- it just mysteriously started happening then stopped. Blood tests are normal, though tests always show a slight elevation of biliruben which my doc thinks is Gilbert's disease. 

I don't have sleep apnea (normal test), bloody oxygenation is normal, heart rate normal. 

I recently saw local naturopath (since mainstream docs aren't able to help) who immediately suspected a liver problem when I described my SOB, possibly liver inflammation. He used an electrodermal testing machine to test his theory which did seem to show a problem with my liver and gallbladder. He gave me digestive enzymes and a gallbladder formula to help clear a bile duct clog, thus reducing liver inflammation. He also determined with the machine that I have an egg sensitivity so I've been avoiding eggs. 

Been taking this and avoiding eggs for a couple of months, but there has been no noticeable improvement. Everything else is normal. Emotionally I'm normal- no anxiety, depression, etc. The SOB seems to be the only symptom of something, but always comes back worse, until a year and half ago when it came back and has remained since. I feel like I shouldn't have to do breath holding exercises every day just to maintain my breathing well enough to do every day things. 

Does anyone have any idea of a possible underlying cause?

2021/2022 UPDATE:
Since my original post about 3-1/2 years ago, a lot has happened, so I’d like to update the post to share with others who come across this what I’ve done since then.

I have maintained a weekly Buteyko method breathing exercise regimen where I do a few of these breathing exercises 3-4 times a week in the morning. This, in combination with daily light to moderate exercise (specifically weight lifting, with 1 or 2 days a week of walking and light jogging), I feel has kept the air hunger symptoms tolerable and manageable. I have mostly good days with some not-so-good days, but doing a breathing exercise and knowing that it’ll get better again helps me get through those times.

I also have sinus inflammation which can exacerbate the symptoms, but I’ve also managed this, which in turn reduces the severity of the air hunger symptoms.

So, while I haven’t found a cure nor is the problem completely gone, I have been able to maintain normalcy in daily life and manage the symptoms through the strategies I described.

This discussion remains active, alive and well through the comments section where others who have similar symptoms have shared what has helped them as well as suggestions for possible solutions to explore.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Lung Health Support Group.

@vrajan41

I meant to add more, but cannot edit it now. Hence, I am replying again below:

Regarding GERD or any reflux, it is better not to drink too much of any liquid (even water) with your meal. When you have a full stomach adding liquids makes the liquid rise up the esophagus and causes GERD etc. Avoid spicy foods and eat small meals many times. Sip a small amount of liquid at a time after the meal. This should help.
As for shortness of breath, chest pain, etc., talk to your doctor about pure Oxygen therapy. Also, the breathing issue may be due to some problem with the lungs - X-Ray, CT imaging of the lungs and pulmonary function test will identify the problem and then suitable medication may be prescribed. Do you have other medical problems and are taking medications? These can cause pulmonary, cardiac, and/or other medical problems.
Good luck.
ps: The above is based on my current experience.

Jump to this post

I don't really struggle with GERD that much, but I do get heartburn quite often. Medicines that I am trying now and my new diet have fixed it.
I really doubt oxygen therapy is (easily) available in my country. Also oximiter always shows normal values, so I'm not sure that oxygen therapy could help.
I have done multiple chest X-Rays, everything looked normal.
I have a chronic kidney disease, but my nephrologist says it shouldn't give symptomes like these.

@gabrielm

Have you had any bad headaches since then? I'm wondering if there is some sort of inflammation that is triggering many symptoms. Not sure what would cause it, but I've explored inflammation for myself. It's something I don't have a big understanding of, but interesting to learn and could connect a lot of the symptoms.

How's your exercise- do you push pretty hard when weightlifting? Do you do any running/cardio?

Jump to this post

I don't really remember having other episodes like this.
I didn't exercise at all before. I have started running now in august.

@pieterhugo50

Hi, I have had very similar problems. I am an avid cyclist and for the last ten years I have had breathing problems. I even wake up at night in a major panic attack, and have to go outside in the cooler air for a while to be able to breath properly…
I can’t yawn as deep as I used to, and when I breathe I can’t get that full feeling in my lungs.
Ihave been to a pulmonologist and a cardiologist, and they can’t find any problems or reasons that I should have these episodes of abnormal breathing.
When I ride on my bicycle, and the rest of the group accelerate, I can’t go with them as I feel as if I can’t breathe.
I saw a GP a few years back, and she said that I had emphysema, but the pulmonologist ruled that out.

Jump to this post

After seeing every imaginable doctor to find everything normal (heart, lungs etc) I went to an ENT. I have reflux and post nasal drip creating the breathing problem.. I am using 2 different nasal sprays and omeprazole with a slight change in diet and I feel so much better! You may have to give cup up acidic foods like tomato and oranges, chocolate and even coffee, but it is really helping! Best of luck to you.

@pieterhugo50

Hi, I have had very similar problems. I am an avid cyclist and for the last ten years I have had breathing problems. I even wake up at night in a major panic attack, and have to go outside in the cooler air for a while to be able to breath properly…
I can’t yawn as deep as I used to, and when I breathe I can’t get that full feeling in my lungs.
Ihave been to a pulmonologist and a cardiologist, and they can’t find any problems or reasons that I should have these episodes of abnormal breathing.
When I ride on my bicycle, and the rest of the group accelerate, I can’t go with them as I feel as if I can’t breathe.
I saw a GP a few years back, and she said that I had emphysema, but the pulmonologist ruled that out.

Jump to this post

Hi @pieterhugo50, How long have you had the breathing problems and do you also experience this during your bike rides?

@stm1

I don't really remember having other episodes like this.
I didn't exercise at all before. I have started running now in august.

Jump to this post

@stm1, do you breathe through your mouth when running? I run when I can, and have learned (through the Buteyko method) to run as your breathing allows but only through the nose. This was part of the thing that helped me to improve symptoms. I used to push myself pretty hard when running but have learned to do lighter running where my breathing doesn't feel too labored.

Hey everyone,

Same story here. Had it for years, got sick of it. Saw Dr. and had lots of tests (in depth ultrasound ECG etc.) which revealed nothing.

I'm very fit, do Ironman triathlon, and have no problem training and racing, but sitting at rest seems to be the worst.

One thing I have stumbled across though, that hasn't been mentioned, is tight back muscles.

I got my wife to use the massage gun all over my upper back and it actually really helped. It felt like my lungs could open up more as i tried to breathe in.

With everything you guys go through and all the expensive tests, why not try out getting a proper back massage and see if that makes any difference to you, as it did for me? If it doesnt, you at least had a nice experience....unlike paying for spirometry tests that return normal results.

@gabrielm

Hi @pieterhugo50, How long have you had the breathing problems and do you also experience this during your bike rides?

Jump to this post

Must be about ten years now. I only have a problem with breathing when I try to ride fast, and seem to run out of breath.

@stm1

Hello,

I have already done it, too. I got an MRI scan of my entire spine (lower back, chest segment and neck). Although there definitely were some problems, neurologist told me it wasn't that bad. I think I should get a second opinion about it.

Have you fixed your problem with a pinched nerve? If yes, how did you do it?

Jump to this post

I was short of breath upon minimal exertion for 91/2 years with workouts at Johns Hopkins, Cleveland Clinic and more… healthy but couldn’t do more than two steps and had to stop and breathe … like congestive heart failure. My husband suggested an X-ray of my spine, since I had pain in left side chest and down arm, which showed a herniated disc at C5/6 pressing in on
my spine. I had anterior cervical disckectomy and it healed my problem. I went out and climbed 72 steps 🙂 I began having this other breathing problem as we all discuss here only maybe six months before the surgery and seemed worse after the surgery but has eased up since. It seems to be related to movement for me. I plan to give it time and if it becomes worse then check to see if perhaps the problem is in my neck again. Good luck 🙂

Hi Gabriel,

My name is Justin. I just want to say thank you. Im so hopeless I want to live a normal life but my random SOB wont let me. I overthink too much about it and I think it causes (or it came from?) anxiety. Sometimes when I am driving or just even walking, I feel the attack of the SOB to the point that I fee like I am about to pass out (very dizzy and everything is amplified).

I tried learning the breathing technique that you shared, it somehow helped me calm and breath.

Please update this thread if you have time. I hope you are feeling better as of now. Share more about how you live your daily life. I will also share mine!

I hope you have a wonderful life!!

Well I think after a year and a half of same symptoms, I finally figured it out- silent gerd! Symptoms for me were pretty atypical, mainly in the throat. Frequent swallowing and throat clearing, excess mucus, and sinus issues. It would cause a dysfunctional mouth breathing pattern. I was usually ok during day but I’m always on feed, then once I got in the car all crunched up in the middle it would be worse, persist when sitting at home and laying down at night. I’d fall asleep but then try to yawn like crazy in morning. I think the excess saliva and post nasal drip was interrupting the process. Getting the gerd under control definitely seems to be helping!

Please sign in or register to post a reply.