Mysterious shortness of breath: What has helped you?

Posted by Gabe, Volunteer Mentor @gabrielm, May 31, 2018

I will try to make this as short as possible, but this has been going on for over 5 years, so it might be farily long. 

Beginning in summer of 2012, I began having shortness of breath (SOB) with no other symptoms. I felt a constant need to yawn, and every few breaths wouldn't satisfy the SOB. I would take a deep breath, and felt like it would get "stuck" before satisfying the air hunger feeling. About every 3-5 deep breaths would satisfy it, only for it to return a minute later. 

I got an endoscopy and other tests done, which revealed that I had some esophageal erosion due to acid reflux and a slight hiatal hernia and was diagnosed with GERD. I had always have bad heartburn, so I was prescribed with Prilosec, which I have been taking daily since them. I've tried stopping it a few times but the reflux always comes back a lot worse. 

Lung tests and x-rays were normal. Heart tests normal. Blood test revealed a slight anemia but otherwise pretty normal. 

I did some research reading forums where someone suggested taking vitamin B-12. Strangely, I took it and the SOB disappeared almost instantly. However, it only lasted a few days for it to return just as bad. I then started taking an iron supplement, which again made the SOB disappear quickly- same thing; symptom returned days later. 

After further research, I came across a breathing exercise method called the Buteyko method. Essentially you do a lot of breath holding to build up CO2 and reduce breathing as the theory is that I had chronic hyperventilation causing too much CO2 to exit my body. After applying the method and reducing my breathing, the SOB disappeared after only 2 days and I felt completely normal. I continued the method a few more days then no longer felt the need to pursue the exercises. I was normal for a whole year when the SOB once again returned with some chest tightness. I applied the method again and the symptom went away, this time with a little more effort; after about 3 weeks. I included physical exercise which also helped with my breathing. 

After that, I was normal for about 2 years. I mistakenly stopped or at least slowed down exercise and the SOB returned once again. I applied the method and began running for exercise but the SOB kept getting worse. It got so bad, I had multiple panic attacks and the feeling of completely empty lungs with the inability to satisfy it with deep breaths. I had to stop exercise altogether, apply the Buteyko method and do breathing exercises very carefully with very light and slow exercise. This helped, but it took many weeks for the SOB to improve. Then, it was almost normal when over a year ago as I was running, I couldn't get a deep breath to satisfy exercise-induced SOB. I have had SOB continuously since then (a year and a half). 

I once again started doing breathing exercises and slowly building up physical exercise, but I can't do any prolonged cardio activity because the SOB gets to a point where deep breathing will not satisfy it. While the breathing exercises have helped, they have had very little effect compared to previous efforts. It seems that every time the symptom returned, greater effort yields few results.

I suspect there is something, some underlying cause that is causing the SOB that has alluded me this entire time. 

So for the past few months to a year, the SOB is worse on some days, better on others, but never gone. There's no rhyme or reason or pattern for it. It's just there, sometimes affecting my sleep. I sometimes can't get a deep breath to satisfy it every now and then, but for the most part, a big gulp of air will satisfy it. But it returns seconds to minutes later. It's as though every breath doesn't deliver what it's supposed to, the SOB builds up, and then I have to take a big gulp of air to get rid of the feeling, pattern repeats. My breathing pattern is normal, however. I don't feel like anything physical is happening, but sometimes it feels like my airways and nostrils are slightly inflamed due to allergies, but when I don't feel inflammation the SOB is still there. 

Recent lung function tests show normal- I don't have asthma, or any other problems with my lungs. Heart tests are normal though I did have about a two week bout of heart palpitations which came and went. Haven't had any for a while- it just mysteriously started happening then stopped. Blood tests are normal, though tests always show a slight elevation of biliruben which my doc thinks is Gilbert's disease. 

I don't have sleep apnea (normal test), bloody oxygenation is normal, heart rate normal. 

I recently saw local naturopath (since mainstream docs aren't able to help) who immediately suspected a liver problem when I described my SOB, possibly liver inflammation. He used an electrodermal testing machine to test his theory which did seem to show a problem with my liver and gallbladder. He gave me digestive enzymes and a gallbladder formula to help clear a bile duct clog, thus reducing liver inflammation. He also determined with the machine that I have an egg sensitivity so I've been avoiding eggs. 

Been taking this and avoiding eggs for a couple of months, but there has been no noticeable improvement. Everything else is normal. Emotionally I'm normal- no anxiety, depression, etc. The SOB seems to be the only symptom of something, but always comes back worse, until a year and half ago when it came back and has remained since. I feel like I shouldn't have to do breath holding exercises every day just to maintain my breathing well enough to do every day things. 

Does anyone have any idea of a possible underlying cause?

2021/2022 UPDATE:
Since my original post about 3-1/2 years ago, a lot has happened, so I’d like to update the post to share with others who come across this what I’ve done since then.

I have maintained a weekly Buteyko method breathing exercise regimen where I do a few of these breathing exercises 3-4 times a week in the morning. This, in combination with daily light to moderate exercise (specifically weight lifting, with 1 or 2 days a week of walking and light jogging), I feel has kept the air hunger symptoms tolerable and manageable. I have mostly good days with some not-so-good days, but doing a breathing exercise and knowing that it’ll get better again helps me get through those times.

I also have sinus inflammation which can exacerbate the symptoms, but I’ve also managed this, which in turn reduces the severity of the air hunger symptoms.

So, while I haven’t found a cure nor is the problem completely gone, I have been able to maintain normalcy in daily life and manage the symptoms through the strategies I described.

This discussion remains active, alive and well through the comments section where others who have similar symptoms have shared what has helped them as well as suggestions for possible solutions to explore.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Lung Health Support Group.

I have just recently started experiencing this SOB. I also have a nasel drip and had an operation 3 years ago to correct my deviated septum. I seen an ENT last year as the drip still bothers me and I spend a lot of time clearing my throat and smoking southern. About 2 weeks ago I stared experiencing SOB which resulted ina panicattacka few days ago and I went to hospital. Lung scan and heart tests all normal, bloods normal. I do have a failystressful just and moved home a couple months ago, but I can honestly say, I'm happy with both and do not feel depressed,I have been saying a councillor in work but this is standard practice as I work in mental health.
I suffered sever depression and anxiety 10 years ago and I honestly do not feel unhappy in fact it's the most settled I've felt I along long time.
I am going to start the breathing technique today and I'm planning to see a natural path as my doctor gave me a brown paper bag and some temarzepam and told me your anxious get some rest and I'll book you a councillor Nnext week. Tbh this made me cry more and I feel like people think I am making this up and lying.
I can't help but feel like it is allin my head now due to the reactions of others.

Will update!

Apologies I madea few typos and I unable to edit my post. I meant I souke soothers not smoke southern,I am not nor have ever been a smoker. Also nothing ever came of my ENT app apparently illalways have to deal with the nasel drip. Idid havean iron infusing, but bloods last week show iron and everything else is fine 😔

@pieterhugo50

I have to cycle pretty hard to become short of breath, but with the distances and time that I cycle I wouldn’t expect that to happen.
Ivan ride for hours at a low heart rate is about 70%, but when I push up to about 80% and higher I seem to develop a breathing problem.

Jump to this post

I wonder if you're simply pushing too hard than what your body can take. It may benefit you to, even for a few days or a week or so, to do like a low/medium effort exercises where you're below the 80% heart rate or lower and cut back on the amount of time and see if that improves things.

@rose40au

I have just recently started experiencing this SOB. I also have a nasel drip and had an operation 3 years ago to correct my deviated septum. I seen an ENT last year as the drip still bothers me and I spend a lot of time clearing my throat and smoking southern. About 2 weeks ago I stared experiencing SOB which resulted ina panicattacka few days ago and I went to hospital. Lung scan and heart tests all normal, bloods normal. I do have a failystressful just and moved home a couple months ago, but I can honestly say, I'm happy with both and do not feel depressed,I have been saying a councillor in work but this is standard practice as I work in mental health.
I suffered sever depression and anxiety 10 years ago and I honestly do not feel unhappy in fact it's the most settled I've felt I along long time.
I am going to start the breathing technique today and I'm planning to see a natural path as my doctor gave me a brown paper bag and some temarzepam and told me your anxious get some rest and I'll book you a councillor Nnext week. Tbh this made me cry more and I feel like people think I am making this up and lying.
I can't help but feel like it is allin my head now due to the reactions of others.

Will update!

Jump to this post

Yes do keep us updated! Would love to know how the breathing exercises help you. Is the SOB a constant feeling, or does it come and go?

@gabrielm @tonyagregg I know this post was made quite a while ago However, I’ve just come across it. I experience this as well and for some reason it has been worsening and become very annoying. It’s so frustrating having to yawn and take in a deep breath just so it feels like I’ve finally caught a regular breath. Has anything changed for any of you? Done anything differently or have any advice you can give that may have helped improve this? Please let me know! I’d appreciate it!

Like others here, I have been experiencing shortness of breath that is only alleviated by a deep yawn concurrent with inspiration. It works best if I lean forward simultaneously. This is not practical in some settings and an intense wave of panic sometimes comes over me. As others have also described, it feels like the air never makes it all the way to the bottom of my lungs. I have experienced this intermittently for years (I'm 57) and discussed it with a GP approximately 15 years ago. O2 levels are normal and I seem to be in excellent health. Lifelong vegetarian, nonsmoker, no meds. I run a lot, including ultras and marathons, but I don't experience this during my runs. I have gained about 15 pounds (thank you COVID and menopause) but still have an average BMI, RHR 50. Sometimes it feels as if the added weight is pressing against my diaphragm and I think this might be the cause. I have had Lymes but had to insist on the test, so I am doubtful that I was tested for Babesiosis. I experienced this before the Lymes so I suspect that's not my problem. I have a chronic nagging pain under my left scapula that I attribute to having a lot of stress in my life. I am working hard to lose those 15 pounds and will see if that helps and will also try the breathing exercises mentioned here. I feel very fortunate to have found this site and to learn that I'm not alone. Thank you all for sharing your experiences and allowing me to share mine.

@sueheyc0726

@gabrielm @tonyagregg I know this post was made quite a while ago However, I’ve just come across it. I experience this as well and for some reason it has been worsening and become very annoying. It’s so frustrating having to yawn and take in a deep breath just so it feels like I’ve finally caught a regular breath. Has anything changed for any of you? Done anything differently or have any advice you can give that may have helped improve this? Please let me know! I’d appreciate it!

Jump to this post

Hi @sueheyc0726, I’m so sorry you’ve been experiencing this. So what I’ve done since then that has helped me manage my air hunger is Buteyko breathing exercises about every other day (look up Buteyko Steps exercise) and daily physical exercise. This exercise is moderate and with controlled breathing. These things have helped the most as well as managing allergies.

When did this all start for you?

Hi. I’ve been experiencing SOB for a year now. It’s consoling to hear others going through this. My SOB is daily, occurring randomly throughout the day. It feels more like an inability to take a satisfying deep breath. If I yawn, it will abruptly cut off at about 80% of the full yawn. My inhale is more labored than my exhale. And it feels like a heavy weight is in my upper chest, below the bottom of my throat. That said I still run 4-6 miles daily and while the symptoms are present, I still run at the same pace as before.

I had a full cardio and pulmonary workup. Lung CT, pulmonary function tests, MRI of heart, etc. I check out completely healthy. My doctors just assume it will go away or it is anxiety, but I have no anxiety in my life.

It’s been a full year and it hasn’t gotten better or worse. It’s the same. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing.

I do have a mild hiatal hernia and also have some post nasal drip. I am wondering if it could be LPR, which I found by googling. I may see an ENT.

Anyway I can’t live like this, so I’m hoping to get an accurate diagnosis, but don’t know where to turn.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

@phinbar21

Hi. I’ve been experiencing SOB for a year now. It’s consoling to hear others going through this. My SOB is daily, occurring randomly throughout the day. It feels more like an inability to take a satisfying deep breath. If I yawn, it will abruptly cut off at about 80% of the full yawn. My inhale is more labored than my exhale. And it feels like a heavy weight is in my upper chest, below the bottom of my throat. That said I still run 4-6 miles daily and while the symptoms are present, I still run at the same pace as before.

I had a full cardio and pulmonary workup. Lung CT, pulmonary function tests, MRI of heart, etc. I check out completely healthy. My doctors just assume it will go away or it is anxiety, but I have no anxiety in my life.

It’s been a full year and it hasn’t gotten better or worse. It’s the same. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing.

I do have a mild hiatal hernia and also have some post nasal drip. I am wondering if it could be LPR, which I found by googling. I may see an ENT.

Anyway I can’t live like this, so I’m hoping to get an accurate diagnosis, but don’t know where to turn.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Jump to this post

Understand … I went almost tens years with being short of breath upon minimal exertion but had nothing wrong with me until finally my husband suggested the doctors check my spine. An X-ray showed that I had a herniated disc at C5/6. I have also experience md the breathing problem that is discussed here and it was a little worse after surgery and somewhat better now but still occurs and I’m wondering if there’s another pinched nerve. Like everyone here, I was healthy and worked out at the gym previously. Just a thought for you and others

@grandma72

Understand … I went almost tens years with being short of breath upon minimal exertion but had nothing wrong with me until finally my husband suggested the doctors check my spine. An X-ray showed that I had a herniated disc at C5/6. I have also experience md the breathing problem that is discussed here and it was a little worse after surgery and somewhat better now but still occurs and I’m wondering if there’s another pinched nerve. Like everyone here, I was healthy and worked out at the gym previously. Just a thought for you and others

Jump to this post

Interesting, thank you. I also have really bad neck pain on the left side of my neck (feels like a kink). Perhaps it is related and something for me to explore.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.