Mysterious shortness of breath: What has helped you?

Posted by Gabe, Volunteer Mentor @gabrielm, May 31, 2018

I will try to make this as short as possible, but this has been going on for over 5 years, so it might be farily long. 

Beginning in summer of 2012, I began having shortness of breath (SOB) with no other symptoms. I felt a constant need to yawn, and every few breaths wouldn't satisfy the SOB. I would take a deep breath, and felt like it would get "stuck" before satisfying the air hunger feeling. About every 3-5 deep breaths would satisfy it, only for it to return a minute later. 

I got an endoscopy and other tests done, which revealed that I had some esophageal erosion due to acid reflux and a slight hiatal hernia and was diagnosed with GERD. I had always have bad heartburn, so I was prescribed with Prilosec, which I have been taking daily since them. I've tried stopping it a few times but the reflux always comes back a lot worse. 

Lung tests and x-rays were normal. Heart tests normal. Blood test revealed a slight anemia but otherwise pretty normal. 

I did some research reading forums where someone suggested taking vitamin B-12. Strangely, I took it and the SOB disappeared almost instantly. However, it only lasted a few days for it to return just as bad. I then started taking an iron supplement, which again made the SOB disappear quickly- same thing; symptom returned days later. 

After further research, I came across a breathing exercise method called the Buteyko method. Essentially you do a lot of breath holding to build up CO2 and reduce breathing as the theory is that I had chronic hyperventilation causing too much CO2 to exit my body. After applying the method and reducing my breathing, the SOB disappeared after only 2 days and I felt completely normal. I continued the method a few more days then no longer felt the need to pursue the exercises. I was normal for a whole year when the SOB once again returned with some chest tightness. I applied the method again and the symptom went away, this time with a little more effort; after about 3 weeks. I included physical exercise which also helped with my breathing. 

After that, I was normal for about 2 years. I mistakenly stopped or at least slowed down exercise and the SOB returned once again. I applied the method and began running for exercise but the SOB kept getting worse. It got so bad, I had multiple panic attacks and the feeling of completely empty lungs with the inability to satisfy it with deep breaths. I had to stop exercise altogether, apply the Buteyko method and do breathing exercises very carefully with very light and slow exercise. This helped, but it took many weeks for the SOB to improve. Then, it was almost normal when over a year ago as I was running, I couldn't get a deep breath to satisfy exercise-induced SOB. I have had SOB continuously since then (a year and a half). 

I once again started doing breathing exercises and slowly building up physical exercise, but I can't do any prolonged cardio activity because the SOB gets to a point where deep breathing will not satisfy it. While the breathing exercises have helped, they have had very little effect compared to previous efforts. It seems that every time the symptom returned, greater effort yields few results.

I suspect there is something, some underlying cause that is causing the SOB that has alluded me this entire time. 

So for the past few months to a year, the SOB is worse on some days, better on others, but never gone. There's no rhyme or reason or pattern for it. It's just there, sometimes affecting my sleep. I sometimes can't get a deep breath to satisfy it every now and then, but for the most part, a big gulp of air will satisfy it. But it returns seconds to minutes later. It's as though every breath doesn't deliver what it's supposed to, the SOB builds up, and then I have to take a big gulp of air to get rid of the feeling, pattern repeats. My breathing pattern is normal, however. I don't feel like anything physical is happening, but sometimes it feels like my airways and nostrils are slightly inflamed due to allergies, but when I don't feel inflammation the SOB is still there. 

Recent lung function tests show normal- I don't have asthma, or any other problems with my lungs. Heart tests are normal though I did have about a two week bout of heart palpitations which came and went. Haven't had any for a while- it just mysteriously started happening then stopped. Blood tests are normal, though tests always show a slight elevation of biliruben which my doc thinks is Gilbert's disease. 

I don't have sleep apnea (normal test), bloody oxygenation is normal, heart rate normal. 

I recently saw local naturopath (since mainstream docs aren't able to help) who immediately suspected a liver problem when I described my SOB, possibly liver inflammation. He used an electrodermal testing machine to test his theory which did seem to show a problem with my liver and gallbladder. He gave me digestive enzymes and a gallbladder formula to help clear a bile duct clog, thus reducing liver inflammation. He also determined with the machine that I have an egg sensitivity so I've been avoiding eggs. 

Been taking this and avoiding eggs for a couple of months, but there has been no noticeable improvement. Everything else is normal. Emotionally I'm normal- no anxiety, depression, etc. The SOB seems to be the only symptom of something, but always comes back worse, until a year and half ago when it came back and has remained since. I feel like I shouldn't have to do breath holding exercises every day just to maintain my breathing well enough to do every day things. 

Does anyone have any idea of a possible underlying cause?

2021/2022 UPDATE:
Since my original post about 3-1/2 years ago, a lot has happened, so I’d like to update the post to share with others who come across this what I’ve done since then.

I have maintained a weekly Buteyko method breathing exercise regimen where I do a few of these breathing exercises 3-4 times a week in the morning. This, in combination with daily light to moderate exercise (specifically weight lifting, with 1 or 2 days a week of walking and light jogging), I feel has kept the air hunger symptoms tolerable and manageable. I have mostly good days with some not-so-good days, but doing a breathing exercise and knowing that it’ll get better again helps me get through those times.

I also have sinus inflammation which can exacerbate the symptoms, but I’ve also managed this, which in turn reduces the severity of the air hunger symptoms.

So, while I haven’t found a cure nor is the problem completely gone, I have been able to maintain normalcy in daily life and manage the symptoms through the strategies I described.

This discussion remains active, alive and well through the comments section where others who have similar symptoms have shared what has helped them as well as suggestions for possible solutions to explore.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Lung Health Support Group.

@nla4625

I don't know anything about what you're experiencing but know it sounds awful. I saw an acupuncturist yesterday who practices Traditional Chinese Medicine and teaches TaiChi and QiGong. In addition to helping me build up my strength, he is going to teach me QiGong breathing exercises over the internet. Being in 2 high risk groups for Covid-19, not having to go to his office will be a huge blessing! Hopefully, the exercises will help me with shortness of breath and other issues I'm having caused by my paralyzed left diaphragm. I totally believe in complementing Western medicine with other approaches and credit a Chinese doctor and acupuncture with getting me out of a severe depression when nothing my western doctors were trying worked. If your acupuncturist didn't bring it up, you might ask him/her about QiGong and if it would help you. Good luck! Nancy

Jump to this post

Hi Nia, thanku for your input. I’m glad you have found relief and assistance. As for tai chi exercises, that’s actually crossed my mind, i Found a YouTube on “Max Strom’s Inner Axis Well Being 30-minute class” that seems similar to tai chi as it is a slow breathing exercise. I tried to follow it and will continue to here and there. I’m still definitely struggling daily but trying to work through this however I can. And I will read through as many of these posts to see other natural approaches that have helped people. This is just the most difficult thing I’m experiencing and none of the doctors can seem to help.

@jduffy

Hi Nia, thanku for your input. I’m glad you have found relief and assistance. As for tai chi exercises, that’s actually crossed my mind, i Found a YouTube on “Max Strom’s Inner Axis Well Being 30-minute class” that seems similar to tai chi as it is a slow breathing exercise. I tried to follow it and will continue to here and there. I’m still definitely struggling daily but trying to work through this however I can. And I will read through as many of these posts to see other natural approaches that have helped people. This is just the most difficult thing I’m experiencing and none of the doctors can seem to help.

Jump to this post

Has anyone here done a colonoscopy? To see if it’s anything wrong?

@jduffy

Jump to this post

Actually, my acupuncturist/QiGong teacher recommended getting a book by Max Strom called "A Life Worth Breathing." Because I get winded from climbing a flight of stairs, he said the various half-hour plus breathing exercises videos on You Tube, etc. would be way too much for me, which is why I'm glad he'll work with me with my limitations. From my understanding, which could be wrong, QiGong is a subsection under TaiChi and concentrates more on breathing. He told me yoga focuses on breathing, too, which I didn't know. I'm going to see if I can find a good chair yoga video and check out Dr. Andrew Weil's numerous books and articles on breathing. It is so frustrating when doctors and tests can't tell you what's wrong with your health and help you when something clearly is. I at least have a diagnosis, which is a relief! After my last meeting with the thoracic surgeon, I have a clearer understanding of just how my paralyzed left diaphragm is hampering my breathing am not sure breathing exercises will help...but I want to give it a go.

@jduffy

Hi Merry, at the suggestion of my gp I tried Prilosec for 5 days Because i did have a burning in my esophagus and chest pressure do to the doxycycline (Low dose 50mg daily) I was taking for 5 weeks for a skin condition (perorial dermatitis). I think that was unrelated to the breathing tho because I started taking the doxy weeks after I woke up with the breathing issue. I’ve been off Prilosec now for a week and still same breathing issues. I’m 50 yrs old, about 20lbs overweight but have had no health issues at all. I don’t even take Tylenol but I was taking vitamins like iron, multi vitamin, vitamin d and emergenC.

I have started to see an acupuncturist who has put me on this diet based on something called 8 body types. I’m called a hepatonia so I have certain things I can eat and foods to avoid. I have no idea if this will help but I will try anything to alleviate this at this point. And at least this isn’t more medication just eating different foods. Has anyone heard of such a thing?

Jump to this post

@jduffy- Doxy is very rough stuff. I hope that you ate something before taking it. I took it in the hospital when I had pneumonia a few years ago and they didn't offer it with food. Boy was I sick. If this gave you burning and tight chest sensations then you were most likely also experiencing SOB due to the side-effects of the Doxy. Also, I take Prilosec and it took me much longer for it to really take effect.

A couple of months ago when I was in my Pulmonologist's office I asked him what the main cause was for SOB now and he said that it was people being overweight, not heart conditions as most people think. I get much shorter of breath if I gain 5lbs. He said that people need to change their life habits including weight control. I hope that your acupuncturist helps you.

Can you tell us what some of the changes were that he changed for you?

@yaramarthe

Has anyone here done a colonoscopy? To see if it’s anything wrong?

Jump to this post

I have not. But probably should do that as well as an endoscopy test. Those are the last tests I will probably need to do for a while as I’ve had and mri for my brain and ct scan for the body. The radiologist notes “minimal areas of dependent atelectasis on both lower lobes” but both pulmonologists said that’s because as your lying the Ct image captures you lungs compressed. Both drs were completely unconcerned about that note since my spirometry breath test showed normal. So so frustrating.

@nla4625

Actually, my acupuncturist/QiGong teacher recommended getting a book by Max Strom called "A Life Worth Breathing." Because I get winded from climbing a flight of stairs, he said the various half-hour plus breathing exercises videos on You Tube, etc. would be way too much for me, which is why I'm glad he'll work with me with my limitations. From my understanding, which could be wrong, QiGong is a subsection under TaiChi and concentrates more on breathing. He told me yoga focuses on breathing, too, which I didn't know. I'm going to see if I can find a good chair yoga video and check out Dr. Andrew Weil's numerous books and articles on breathing. It is so frustrating when doctors and tests can't tell you what's wrong with your health and help you when something clearly is. I at least have a diagnosis, which is a relief! After my last meeting with the thoracic surgeon, I have a clearer understanding of just how my paralyzed left diaphragm is hampering my breathing am not sure breathing exercises will help...but I want to give it a go.

Jump to this post

I see, yes it’s good to have a diagnosis so you can work to address it. I actually feel better when I walk or go up stairs. Makes me feel like I can breath but I struggle a bit too just to regulate breath when I’m doing a longer walk. It’s when I’m still i struggle the most.

@jduffy

I see, yes it’s good to have a diagnosis so you can work to address it. I actually feel better when I walk or go up stairs. Makes me feel like I can breath but I struggle a bit too just to regulate breath when I’m doing a longer walk. It’s when I’m still i struggle the most.

Jump to this post

@jduffy. I just watched a Ted Talk by Max Strom, and he said something I haven't come across in these postings. From all his years of working on breathing, he has concluded there is a definite correlation between breathing issues and unprocessed grief. I have a physical problem causing my issue, but I'd definitely look at the grief angle if all of the tests and doctor visits showed nothing. On the Ted Talk he told the story of an executive who was having panic attacks. He asks him when they started, and it was at the time of his brother's death. He advised him to process his grief and learned later that they went away when he started working through his grief. I can do the breathing exercises he illustrated in the Ted Talk so will pursue them.

I think you said something in a previous post about using food as medicine. I totally believe in that too and refer often to Andrew Weil, the godfather of integrative medicine, for advice on diet, as well as breathing now. He thinks inflammation is the root cause of a myriad of diseases, so I'm starting to pay close attention to his anti inflammation food pyramid and merge it with Mayo Clinic diet and WW to lose weight before my surgery in the spring. Take care! Nancy

@merpreb

@jduffy- Doxy is very rough stuff. I hope that you ate something before taking it. I took it in the hospital when I had pneumonia a few years ago and they didn't offer it with food. Boy was I sick. If this gave you burning and tight chest sensations then you were most likely also experiencing SOB due to the side-effects of the Doxy. Also, I take Prilosec and it took me much longer for it to really take effect.

A couple of months ago when I was in my Pulmonologist's office I asked him what the main cause was for SOB now and he said that it was people being overweight, not heart conditions as most people think. I get much shorter of breath if I gain 5lbs. He said that people need to change their life habits including weight control. I hope that your acupuncturist helps you.

Can you tell us what some of the changes were that he changed for you?

Jump to this post

Hi, the instructions said do not eat two hours before or after taking so I didn’t for 5 weeks. Had no idea what it would do geez! But I had the SOB weeks before starting the doxy. I am definitely on my way to losing this extra 20 lbs. already lost 10lbs dealing with this. But thats hopeful to hear if I lose more weight this sob might subside. As for diet. It’s interesting, if you google hepatonia it will lead you to the other 7 body types that exist according to this approach. There’s 8 total. The acupuncturist determines your body type by pulse and based on that you eat according to your body type. I am supposed to eat beef, protein but NO seafood or green leafy items. It sounds so ridiculous I know. But I will say I stopped eating beef and milk about three years ago when the allergist said I was mildly allergic. When I recently went to the allergist for another prick test( One month after the sob attack) I was completely not allergic to beef. So strange. But then he told me that the prick tests are about 40-50% false positive for allergies! So I might have never been allergic to beef. Anyway so this whole time I havnt been eating beef and this acupuncturist did not know that. So now I’m eating about 3oz of Lean organic beef 5 days a week, root vegetables (something about eating only vegetable under the ground) all citrus and melons, zucchini apparently is fine. It seems crazy I know but I’m trying to use conventional western healthy guidelines as well but def staying away from seafood and greens. He’s saying it about what foods are harmful to my body type rather than loading up on the foods I can eat like beef so it’s moderation on what I eat
And avoid the things that are harmful. Hope this makes sense.
I was wondering, does anyone get a cough when you exhale deeply? I seem to get an occasional dry, very brief cough when I exhale deeply and only at the end of the exhale.

@chrisdh5

Hi Gabriel

I see no one has responded in half a year and as I just stumbled upon your post, I saw fit to write a short answer to your problems.
Prolonged shortness of breath (accompanied by other symptoms as for instance lightheadedness/dizziness and headaches) are sometimes caused by, as you stated, chronic hyperventilation. This means that you either inhale too deeply or inhale too frequently for a longer time. GERD is known to cause shortness of breath when acid reaches airways, but as I read your story I do not think GERD is the cause for your prolonged experiences with SOB.

Based on the relief you feel when taking supplements of which you believe they help, in combination with positive effects of exercise and the overall prolonged experience of symptoms, chronic hyperventilation does seem a reasonable explanation for what you're experiencing. This, as I read your story (no obvious signs of disease/malfunctions concerning heart or lungs) leads me to believe your problems are not physiological at base. It is known that anxiety and/or depression can influence breathing severely. These mental issues are not always obvious in daily life. Many people don't know they're going through such issues. Have you considered looking in this direction? If you keep experiencing the same symptoms in the same manner, it could be fruitful to consult a therapist.

Since it has been 6 months, may I ask how you're doing now? Have you noticed improvements? If so, how did you improve your situation?

Best regards and I hope this answer helps!

PS I am not a doctor. I have however read (way too many) studies concerning this specific issue.

Jump to this post

My SOB is from anxiety and stress. I take a stress relaxer and it goes away. Some of that could also be psychosomatic.

Also, the other 7 types of body eat very differently. There’s one type that avoids all meat together. So it’s about determining which body type one has. I will try this for a several months. If I see no change I will just go back to a typical healthy diet of low carbs, clean lean protein and veggies&fruits

Please sign in or register to post a reply.