Mysterious shortness of breath: What has helped you?

Posted by Gabe, Volunteer Mentor @gabrielm, May 31, 2018

I will try to make this as short as possible, but this has been going on for over 5 years, so it might be farily long. 

Beginning in summer of 2012, I began having shortness of breath (SOB) with no other symptoms. I felt a constant need to yawn, and every few breaths wouldn't satisfy the SOB. I would take a deep breath, and felt like it would get "stuck" before satisfying the air hunger feeling. About every 3-5 deep breaths would satisfy it, only for it to return a minute later. 

I got an endoscopy and other tests done, which revealed that I had some esophageal erosion due to acid reflux and a slight hiatal hernia and was diagnosed with GERD. I had always have bad heartburn, so I was prescribed with Prilosec, which I have been taking daily since them. I've tried stopping it a few times but the reflux always comes back a lot worse. 

Lung tests and x-rays were normal. Heart tests normal. Blood test revealed a slight anemia but otherwise pretty normal. 

I did some research reading forums where someone suggested taking vitamin B-12. Strangely, I took it and the SOB disappeared almost instantly. However, it only lasted a few days for it to return just as bad. I then started taking an iron supplement, which again made the SOB disappear quickly- same thing; symptom returned days later. 

After further research, I came across a breathing exercise method called the Buteyko method. Essentially you do a lot of breath holding to build up CO2 and reduce breathing as the theory is that I had chronic hyperventilation causing too much CO2 to exit my body. After applying the method and reducing my breathing, the SOB disappeared after only 2 days and I felt completely normal. I continued the method a few more days then no longer felt the need to pursue the exercises. I was normal for a whole year when the SOB once again returned with some chest tightness. I applied the method again and the symptom went away, this time with a little more effort; after about 3 weeks. I included physical exercise which also helped with my breathing. 

After that, I was normal for about 2 years. I mistakenly stopped or at least slowed down exercise and the SOB returned once again. I applied the method and began running for exercise but the SOB kept getting worse. It got so bad, I had multiple panic attacks and the feeling of completely empty lungs with the inability to satisfy it with deep breaths. I had to stop exercise altogether, apply the Buteyko method and do breathing exercises very carefully with very light and slow exercise. This helped, but it took many weeks for the SOB to improve. Then, it was almost normal when over a year ago as I was running, I couldn't get a deep breath to satisfy exercise-induced SOB. I have had SOB continuously since then (a year and a half). 

I once again started doing breathing exercises and slowly building up physical exercise, but I can't do any prolonged cardio activity because the SOB gets to a point where deep breathing will not satisfy it. While the breathing exercises have helped, they have had very little effect compared to previous efforts. It seems that every time the symptom returned, greater effort yields few results.

I suspect there is something, some underlying cause that is causing the SOB that has alluded me this entire time. 

So for the past few months to a year, the SOB is worse on some days, better on others, but never gone. There's no rhyme or reason or pattern for it. It's just there, sometimes affecting my sleep. I sometimes can't get a deep breath to satisfy it every now and then, but for the most part, a big gulp of air will satisfy it. But it returns seconds to minutes later. It's as though every breath doesn't deliver what it's supposed to, the SOB builds up, and then I have to take a big gulp of air to get rid of the feeling, pattern repeats. My breathing pattern is normal, however. I don't feel like anything physical is happening, but sometimes it feels like my airways and nostrils are slightly inflamed due to allergies, but when I don't feel inflammation the SOB is still there. 

Recent lung function tests show normal- I don't have asthma, or any other problems with my lungs. Heart tests are normal though I did have about a two week bout of heart palpitations which came and went. Haven't had any for a while- it just mysteriously started happening then stopped. Blood tests are normal, though tests always show a slight elevation of biliruben which my doc thinks is Gilbert's disease. 

I don't have sleep apnea (normal test), bloody oxygenation is normal, heart rate normal. 

I recently saw local naturopath (since mainstream docs aren't able to help) who immediately suspected a liver problem when I described my SOB, possibly liver inflammation. He used an electrodermal testing machine to test his theory which did seem to show a problem with my liver and gallbladder. He gave me digestive enzymes and a gallbladder formula to help clear a bile duct clog, thus reducing liver inflammation. He also determined with the machine that I have an egg sensitivity so I've been avoiding eggs. 

Been taking this and avoiding eggs for a couple of months, but there has been no noticeable improvement. Everything else is normal. Emotionally I'm normal- no anxiety, depression, etc. The SOB seems to be the only symptom of something, but always comes back worse, until a year and half ago when it came back and has remained since. I feel like I shouldn't have to do breath holding exercises every day just to maintain my breathing well enough to do every day things. 

Does anyone have any idea of a possible underlying cause?

2021/2022 UPDATE:
Since my original post about 3-1/2 years ago, a lot has happened, so I’d like to update the post to share with others who come across this what I’ve done since then.

I have maintained a weekly Buteyko method breathing exercise regimen where I do a few of these breathing exercises 3-4 times a week in the morning. This, in combination with daily light to moderate exercise (specifically weight lifting, with 1 or 2 days a week of walking and light jogging), I feel has kept the air hunger symptoms tolerable and manageable. I have mostly good days with some not-so-good days, but doing a breathing exercise and knowing that it’ll get better again helps me get through those times.

I also have sinus inflammation which can exacerbate the symptoms, but I’ve also managed this, which in turn reduces the severity of the air hunger symptoms.

So, while I haven’t found a cure nor is the problem completely gone, I have been able to maintain normalcy in daily life and manage the symptoms through the strategies I described.

This discussion remains active, alive and well through the comments section where others who have similar symptoms have shared what has helped them as well as suggestions for possible solutions to explore.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Lung Health Support Group.

Hey I would like to talk to you a little but because the excessive yawning is something that I've been experiencing. It first started when i moved into this apartment I live in GA by the way and the same day I walked in the apartment it felt like I couldn't breathe the air wasn't fresh and the excessive yawning started there was this weird smell too became all of my neighbors smoked marijuana. So the next say I went to the doctors and he said that it could be the paint or the carpet since it's a new apartment. The yawning went away for a year and came back but this time my heart started beating so fast and I couldn't catch a full breath it was scary. I went to the doctor they gave me a medication to slow the heart I felt better for a while and since then I would always get the yawning here and there sometimes I don't get a for two months straight until last July it came and I felt it everyday so at this point I was checking everything I had EKG, echocardiogram, endoscopy, Brain MRI, blood work and everything came back normal. I went and checked with an allergist I found out I was allergic to wheat, corn, dust mite and peanuts plus environmental allergies since then I started a diet. While being on my diet one thing I noticed was whenever I eat at a restaurant I get the yawning more so I started cooking my own food. I eat eggs and toast and I use ipdized salt on it and onions, for diner I eat rice and fish I only use leek onions and salt as spices so by doing that I had less yawn it only took about 3 yawns after the second meal of the day and ill be good and at night I have gluten free toast with butter and oat milk. Now guys I Dont know if I'm crazy but those are the only food that doesn't five me a really bad reaction. I tried eating other spices and the yawn was very hard to do it felt like couldn't get a full yawing and usually last 20 minutes it's like having air hunger. Now I forgot to mention that I found Out I had hypothyroism and I've been on medication and it seems like it has nothing to do with the yawning but I have to say that I've been experiencing heart palpitations for a while so I'm getting some heart test Done and ill update on that but the doctor told me she doubt that would cause the yawning problem. Overall I think I was exposed to something toxic in the apartment and cause this. Anyone else experience the problem after eating ?

If any of you are interested in doing a WhatsApp group it would be very helpful we can send voices and talk better

@yaramarthe

If any of you are interested in doing a WhatsApp group it would be very helpful we can send voices and talk better

Jump to this post

That's a great idea. Creating A what app group. I can take initiative, please share your numbers and I will add

@hollyhedge1

Well Im glad I came across this post because I experience the exact same condition. I find myself constantly yawning, not being able to breathe normally through my nose. Sometimes I have to yawn a couple of times to get that satisfying breathe and then minutes later start over again. I have been like this since about June 2020, so its been 5 months. It led me to having anxiety attacks/panic attacks and some emergency dept. visits. EKGs normal, Oxygen levels normal, Lungs sound good, allergy tests negative. I can't do tough exercise because I feel my SOB and my heart starts beating in my chest. I got tired of doctors and just stopped going hoping it will eventually go away, but I don't know :(. If anyone reads this please reply something, its really frustrating and I feel so helpless.

Jump to this post

Try a different diet I wrote about how I started feeling like this I'm not even joking any other juice I drink makes me yawn food that are hard to chew makes me yawn junk food toothe only relief I've gotten so far is eating eggs and toast for breakfast and mangoes. and dinner I have rice and fish wild caught and I only use onions, leef, and ionized salt after that if I'm hungry later on eat a gluten free toast with butter and I drink oat milk. And I've been on this diet for a month and my yawning felt better I only yawn three times after my second meal and if I dare to eat at a restaurant or other food I it makes me short of breath and I start having the yawning issue my mouth stays open the whole time and the yawn won't come out last 20 minutes its really bad. I think being exposed to something toxic really messed me up and Idk what to do now I'm allergic to everything now

Guys I've tried the antacid it doesn't work. I havent tried the breathing exercising but I watch this video it was a doctor who said yawning could be because you have acidosis, low iron, or low stomach acid.

@jduffy

Also, every time I yawn I can’t yawn because I can’t take a deep breath. Does this mean I’m taking too many breaths or breathing in too much air and not exhaling deeply enough meaning I’m hyperventilating? I’m so so confused.

Jump to this post

@mwmathis; @yaramarthe- Welcome to Mayo Clinic Connect. We are an online community of patients and caregivers helping each other who are experiencing the same thing. No one should feel alone on Connect.

Even if we do not necessarily feel like we are anxious I don't know of anyone who isn't right now. COVID-19 and this second wave have put us all on egde. Anxiety and dyspnea go hand in hand. They seem to fight like cats and dogs and is extremely frustrating because one feeds off of the other.

@mwmathis- If you are experiencing dyspnea after exercising it might be something called Exercise induced asthma. I have this too, but my breathing tests show that I do not have asthma. Go figure. Perhaps you have changed your breathing, or the heat went on in the room as temperatures outside have changed so rapidly recently.
I also hate to bring this up but age and maybe a little gained weight could trigger something called GERD and needs to be treated by a GI doctor. Have you experienced GERD at all?

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/exercise-induced-asthma/symptoms-causes/syc-20372300

@yaramarthe- Heart problems can certainly cause dyspnea. It is one of the main causes. It must be terrifying on top of all your other symptoms. Yawning, I think, is a mysterious automatic body response to tiredness or stress. There can be many underlying things that cause it. Medicines including some antidepressants, antihistamines, and some sleep meds can cause excessive yawning. And everytime someone posts this I yawn! lol.

Here is some great information about excessive yawning:

It is an automatic body response to tiredness or stress. Less commonly, excessive yawning can also be a sign of an underlying health conditions.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/324401

When is your appointment with you heart doctor? What tests is he going to do that you haven't had done as yet?

@merpreb

@mwmathis; @yaramarthe- Welcome to Mayo Clinic Connect. We are an online community of patients and caregivers helping each other who are experiencing the same thing. No one should feel alone on Connect.

Even if we do not necessarily feel like we are anxious I don't know of anyone who isn't right now. COVID-19 and this second wave have put us all on egde. Anxiety and dyspnea go hand in hand. They seem to fight like cats and dogs and is extremely frustrating because one feeds off of the other.

@mwmathis- If you are experiencing dyspnea after exercising it might be something called Exercise induced asthma. I have this too, but my breathing tests show that I do not have asthma. Go figure. Perhaps you have changed your breathing, or the heat went on in the room as temperatures outside have changed so rapidly recently.
I also hate to bring this up but age and maybe a little gained weight could trigger something called GERD and needs to be treated by a GI doctor. Have you experienced GERD at all?

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/exercise-induced-asthma/symptoms-causes/syc-20372300

@yaramarthe- Heart problems can certainly cause dyspnea. It is one of the main causes. It must be terrifying on top of all your other symptoms. Yawning, I think, is a mysterious automatic body response to tiredness or stress. There can be many underlying things that cause it. Medicines including some antidepressants, antihistamines, and some sleep meds can cause excessive yawning. And everytime someone posts this I yawn! lol.

Here is some great information about excessive yawning:

It is an automatic body response to tiredness or stress. Less commonly, excessive yawning can also be a sign of an underlying health conditions.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/324401

When is your appointment with you heart doctor? What tests is he going to do that you haven't had done as yet?

Jump to this post

Last year when I did the echocardiogram the doctor told me my heart was normal and they said the yawning could be due to stress but I’m going to do a stress test, and wear monitor for 48 hours. I’m trying to get my insurance to approve my Echocardiogram but it’s not happening yet.

@yaramarthe- It angers me so much medical insurance won't cover tests that could help a person. This must be so scary and concerning for you. Can the doctor help in anyway?

@merpreb

@jduffy- Welcome to Mayo Clinic Connect. It might mean that you are hyperventilating. Have you tried any techniques to quiet it, if it is hyperventilation? Youtube has a vast number of videos that show you how to treat it.

GERD often causes shortness of breath (dyspnea). Have you seen a GI doctor yet?

Jump to this post

Hi Merry, at the suggestion of my gp I tried Prilosec for 5 days Because i did have a burning in my esophagus and chest pressure do to the doxycycline (Low dose 50mg daily) I was taking for 5 weeks for a skin condition (perorial dermatitis). I think that was unrelated to the breathing tho because I started taking the doxy weeks after I woke up with the breathing issue. I’ve been off Prilosec now for a week and still same breathing issues. I’m 50 yrs old, about 20lbs overweight but have had no health issues at all. I don’t even take Tylenol but I was taking vitamins like iron, multi vitamin, vitamin d and emergenC.

I have started to see an acupuncturist who has put me on this diet based on something called 8 body types. I’m called a hepatonia so I have certain things I can eat and foods to avoid. I have no idea if this will help but I will try anything to alleviate this at this point. And at least this isn’t more medication just eating different foods. Has anyone heard of such a thing?

@jduffy

Hi Merry, at the suggestion of my gp I tried Prilosec for 5 days Because i did have a burning in my esophagus and chest pressure do to the doxycycline (Low dose 50mg daily) I was taking for 5 weeks for a skin condition (perorial dermatitis). I think that was unrelated to the breathing tho because I started taking the doxy weeks after I woke up with the breathing issue. I’ve been off Prilosec now for a week and still same breathing issues. I’m 50 yrs old, about 20lbs overweight but have had no health issues at all. I don’t even take Tylenol but I was taking vitamins like iron, multi vitamin, vitamin d and emergenC.

I have started to see an acupuncturist who has put me on this diet based on something called 8 body types. I’m called a hepatonia so I have certain things I can eat and foods to avoid. I have no idea if this will help but I will try anything to alleviate this at this point. And at least this isn’t more medication just eating different foods. Has anyone heard of such a thing?

Jump to this post

I don't know anything about what you're experiencing but know it sounds awful. I saw an acupuncturist yesterday who practices Traditional Chinese Medicine and teaches TaiChi and QiGong. In addition to helping me build up my strength, he is going to teach me QiGong breathing exercises over the internet. Being in 2 high risk groups for Covid-19, not having to go to his office will be a huge blessing! Hopefully, the exercises will help me with shortness of breath and other issues I'm having caused by my paralyzed left diaphragm. I totally believe in complementing Western medicine with other approaches and credit a Chinese doctor and acupuncture with getting me out of a severe depression when nothing my western doctors were trying worked. If your acupuncturist didn't bring it up, you might ask him/her about QiGong and if it would help you. Good luck! Nancy

Please sign in or register to post a reply.