(MAC/MAI) Mycobacterium Avium Complex Pulmonary Disease: Join us

Posted by Katherine, Alumni Mentor @katemn, Nov 21, 2011

I am new to Mayo online .. I was hoping to find others with .. MYCOBACTERIUM AVIUM COMPLEX PULMONARY DISEASE (MAC/MAI) and/or BRONCHIECTASIS. I found only 1 thread on mycobacterium accidently under the catagory "Lungs". I'm hoping by starting a subject matter directly related to MYCOBACTERIUM AVIUM COMPLEX PULMONARY DISEASE (MAC/MAI) I may find others out there!

I was diagnosed by a sputum culture August 2007 (but the culture result was accidentally misfiled until 2008!) with MYCOBACTERIUM AVIUM COMPLEX PULMONARY DISEASE (MAC/MAI) and BRONCHIECTASIS. I am now on 5 antibiotics. Working with Dr. Timothy Aksamit at Rochester Mayo Clinic .. he is a saint to have put up with me this long! I was terrified of the treatment . started the first antibiotic September 3, 2011 ... am now on all 5 antibiotics for 18 mos to 2 years. Am delighted at the very bearable side effects!

I wrote on the 1 thread I found: If you google NON-TUBERCULOUS MYCOBACTERIUM AVIUM COMPLEX PULMONARY DISEASE (MAC/MAI) you will learn a LOT about the disease. But PLEASE do NOT get scared about all the things you read .. that is what I did and nearly refused to do the treatment until after a 2nd Micomacterium was discovered! Educate yourself for "due diligence" .. but take it all with a grain of salt .. you are NOT necessarily going to have all the terrible side effects of the antibiotics! Good luck to you!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
January 2017 Update

One of our great Connect Members .. @Paula_MAC2007  .. had a wonderfully helpful idea that I wanted to share! Her idea .. as you read through the pages to gather information on our shared disease of MAC you can develop a personal "file cabinet" for future reference without the necessity of reading all the pages again!

If you have the "MS Word" program on your computer:
- Document Title Example:  Mayo Clinic Connect MAI/MAC Information
- Then develop different categories that make sense to you such as:  Heath Aids .. Videos .. Healthy Living .. Positive Thinking .. Baseline Testing and Regular Testing .. Antibiotics ..
Tips for
- As you read the pages .. copy/paste/save things of interest into that MS Word document under your preferred categories for future reference.

Then as you want to refer back to something in the future .. YEAH!  You have now created your own personal "file cabinet" on MAC/MAI!  Go to it!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the MAC & Bronchiectasis Support Group.

@lindam272

So I called my doctor's office and said that I wanted a chest xray done. It's been 6 months since I've been on the meds and want to see what that looks like when I go back for my July checkup. I got a call back from the nurse stating that the doctor wouldn't okay the order because it wasn't medically necessary. I said to her that I wasn't asking him if I should have one. I was asking him to order it. She repeated that he wouldn't order it because it wasn't medically necessary. Seriously? Is it unreasonable to want to see what is happening in my lungs after 6 months? Does this sound unreasonable? Maybe I'm making a big deal out of nothing. Not happy. Linda M

Jump to this post

Hi, Terri M., My lungs are really scarred. I've had pneumonia twice and Valley Fever since moving to AZ. I moved here in 1983 and contracted VF in 2008 so had quite a run before it got me. I did switch to baths only and I wash my hair in the kitchen sink. Linda M

@katemn

@tfritschy Teresa and @lindaaz Linda and @afcardieri Fillis Hello and Welcome to our Connect Forum! We are so glad you found us! You will find our group a support on our shared journey with an exchange of our experiences and the information we have gathered. We are NOT doctors but if you read past pages of our post you will learn a LOT about MAC and Bronchiectasis .. unfortunately sometimes more than many doctors are aware of. As you educate yourself .. you MUST become your own best advocate! Remember .. if you will read a 300 page book for pleasure .. isn't it wise to read 25 or 50 pages of this Forum to help learn about our shared MAC disease? Hope you make the effort to read those pages .. it will pay off!

I am answering you on our main discussion page:

– MAC/MAI) MYCOBACTERIUM AVIUM COMPLEX PULMONARY DISEASE/BRONCHIECTASIS
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/mycobacterium-avium-complex-pulmonary-disease-macmai/ ..( that is page 1 .. you can go to "Last" or wherever) . In this thread, you’ll find a wealth of information from an incredible group of knowledgeable and supportive members.

I am answering you there so you will perhaps get more responses. Come on over. Introduce yourselves and ask anything after you have read through the past pages and educated yourself to our shared disease. Hope you find these pages helpful! Hugs to all! Katherine

Jump to this post

Barb, The Rifampin, is hard on the liver and kidneys - probably all of them are. I had a glass of wine about 3 months after starting the drugs. Then had two more glasses of wine the following month on separate occasions. These glasses were small and 1/2 filled. My blood work showed that my liver values shot up last month from the alcohol, I believe. They recommend no alcohol while taking the drugs. I'm hoping that my blood work next time shows it back to normal. No more alcohol for me!

@lindam272

So I called my doctor's office and said that I wanted a chest xray done. It's been 6 months since I've been on the meds and want to see what that looks like when I go back for my July checkup. I got a call back from the nurse stating that the doctor wouldn't okay the order because it wasn't medically necessary. I said to her that I wasn't asking him if I should have one. I was asking him to order it. She repeated that he wouldn't order it because it wasn't medically necessary. Seriously? Is it unreasonable to want to see what is happening in my lungs after 6 months? Does this sound unreasonable? Maybe I'm making a big deal out of nothing. Not happy. Linda M

Jump to this post

I had pneumonia pretty bad at age 18, then several more bouts in my 20's,
Valley Fever at age 33, then  MAC at age 46, pseudomonas at age
57..........sigh..........I wash my hair in the sink too.

@katemn

@tfritschy Teresa and @lindaaz Linda and @afcardieri Fillis Hello and Welcome to our Connect Forum! We are so glad you found us! You will find our group a support on our shared journey with an exchange of our experiences and the information we have gathered. We are NOT doctors but if you read past pages of our post you will learn a LOT about MAC and Bronchiectasis .. unfortunately sometimes more than many doctors are aware of. As you educate yourself .. you MUST become your own best advocate! Remember .. if you will read a 300 page book for pleasure .. isn't it wise to read 25 or 50 pages of this Forum to help learn about our shared MAC disease? Hope you make the effort to read those pages .. it will pay off!

https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/mycobacterium-avium-complex-pulmonary-disease-macmai/ ..( that is page 1 .. you can go to "Last" or wherever) . In this thread, you’ll find a wealth of information from an incredible group of knowledgeable and supportive members.

I am answering you there so you will perhaps get more responses. Come on over. Introduce yourselves and ask anything after you have read through the past pages and educated yourself to our shared disease. Hope you find these pages helpful! Hugs to all! Katherine

Jump to this post

Will they let you book an appt a year out?

@katemn

Jump to this post

Yes, although some of us may have enjoyed a drink or two or three in the past, it is very counterproductive at this point because in addition to elevating liver enzymes while on the meds, it contributes to GERD, and we all know the effect of that!

@katemn

Jump to this post

Barb, I have an occasional adult beverage. Ask a doctor about the alcohol
and they all say no, hardly any of them condones it.You should
have extra neb mouthpieces. What if one breaks? I have one that is deteriorating
now, it is old and getting brittle. Plus, sometimes the piece inside the cup
ceases to work. It is good to have back-ups. Insurance covers it. I have four,
that way I am not having to clean them every day.

@katemn

Jump to this post

Barb, I'd like to add that I am not on the big three anti-biotics. If I
were, I def would NOT drink any alcohol. Like Linda said, those drugs are hard
on the liver. Mustn't over tax it.

@katemn

Jump to this post

Take charge girl!

@lindam272

Tdrell, Thanks for that info! Is it too much trouble to locate the guidelines given for future scanning so we can share those with our doctors? I was planning on asking my doc to order a CT scan for me to compare with earlier ones when I go back in the next 4 - 6 weeks and would like to have that information before calling if you still have it. Thanks so much! Linda

Jump to this post

I am sure this goes without saying........ just watch for symptons and get
a regular sputem test.

@lindam272

Tdrell, Thanks for that info! Is it too much trouble to locate the guidelines given for future scanning so we can share those with our doctors? I was planning on asking my doc to order a CT scan for me to compare with earlier ones when I go back in the next 4 - 6 weeks and would like to have that information before calling if you still have it. Thanks so much! Linda

Jump to this post

how about marking it as spam?

Please sign in or register to post a reply.