(MAC/MAI) Mycobacterium Avium Complex Pulmonary Disease: Join us

Posted by Katherine, Alumni Mentor @katemn, Nov 21, 2011

I am new to Mayo online .. I was hoping to find others with .. MYCOBACTERIUM AVIUM COMPLEX PULMONARY DISEASE (MAC/MAI) and/or BRONCHIECTASIS. I found only 1 thread on mycobacterium accidently under the catagory "Lungs". I'm hoping by starting a subject matter directly related to MYCOBACTERIUM AVIUM COMPLEX PULMONARY DISEASE (MAC/MAI) I may find others out there!

I was diagnosed by a sputum culture August 2007 (but the culture result was accidentally misfiled until 2008!) with MYCOBACTERIUM AVIUM COMPLEX PULMONARY DISEASE (MAC/MAI) and BRONCHIECTASIS. I am now on 5 antibiotics. Working with Dr. Timothy Aksamit at Rochester Mayo Clinic .. he is a saint to have put up with me this long! I was terrified of the treatment . started the first antibiotic September 3, 2011 ... am now on all 5 antibiotics for 18 mos to 2 years. Am delighted at the very bearable side effects!

I wrote on the 1 thread I found: If you google NON-TUBERCULOUS MYCOBACTERIUM AVIUM COMPLEX PULMONARY DISEASE (MAC/MAI) you will learn a LOT about the disease. But PLEASE do NOT get scared about all the things you read .. that is what I did and nearly refused to do the treatment until after a 2nd Micomacterium was discovered! Educate yourself for "due diligence" .. but take it all with a grain of salt .. you are NOT necessarily going to have all the terrible side effects of the antibiotics! Good luck to you!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
January 2017 Update

One of our great Connect Members .. @Paula_MAC2007  .. had a wonderfully helpful idea that I wanted to share! Her idea .. as you read through the pages to gather information on our shared disease of MAC you can develop a personal "file cabinet" for future reference without the necessity of reading all the pages again!

If you have the "MS Word" program on your computer:
- Document Title Example:  Mayo Clinic Connect MAI/MAC Information
- Then develop different categories that make sense to you such as:  Heath Aids .. Videos .. Healthy Living .. Positive Thinking .. Baseline Testing and Regular Testing .. Antibiotics ..
Tips for
- As you read the pages .. copy/paste/save things of interest into that MS Word document under your preferred categories for future reference.

Then as you want to refer back to something in the future .. YEAH!  You have now created your own personal "file cabinet" on MAC/MAI!  Go to it!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the MAC & Bronchiectasis Support Group.

@tdrell

Folks here is my report after my 6 day workup at National Jewish Health for MAC that was found in July 2016. I had had a cough with copious mucus for 2 years and no explanation was found after visits to ENT, NP, allergists, internists, GI......multiple tests. My local pulmonologist sent me to local ID doctor in OCtober......but thanks to you guys I found out about the workshop at NJH for NTM patients on September 17th in Denver. We were visiting our daughter coincidently (She lives in Denver) at the same time. So I attended the workshop. And began the process to be evaluated there.
My appointment with Dr Gwen Huitt at NJH began january 5 and the holistic analysis ended on january 13th.
An amazing place!
Unless the 3 daily sputum cultures come back with significant amt of NTM in 6 weeks.....

I do not show indications of the infection hence do not require treatment.

The reason MAC was found in my lungs when i had the bronchoscopy was that I have severe GERD and since it...NTM is in tap water....it had been aspirated into my lungs as I slept. Repeat Cat scan showed no signs of much...I dont have the typical NTM symptoms....fatigue,chills,weight loss,fever....only the cough and mucus.
The final outcome after tests and analysis:

-No NTM unless the cultures show different in 6 weeks
-GERD- a page of instructions ....weight loss, dietary and fluid restrictions,,head of bed that elevates 30degree, continue with nexium
-No asthma which i have been taking inhalors etc for 30 years
-Allergic rhinnitus-so have to use nasal wash once a day and continue with Flonase and singulaire
-Sleep apnea so will have to get CPAP with face mask.
So just think.....had i not gone to the experts, The local ID doctor had begun to write out the prescriptions for those potent medications 3.5 months ago!!! TDrell

Jump to this post

Thanks heathert....I felt sorta guilty sharing the news with the group....but I guess my experience makes the point as Katherine keeps telling us " Go to the experts".....even my area which has a decent quality of medical care, I would have been started on the MAC meds without proper proof. I have to remind myself, the three separate day sputum specimens have 5 more weeks to see if colonies of MAC appear. So then I will be assured of not having MAC. TDrell

@ehliny

A question for all of you: is there a connection between MAI and GERD?
Thanks! (I have both)

Jump to this post

<br><br><br><br><br>Hietal hernias also cause GERD, which is why I have it.<br> <br><br>

@ehliny

Thanks! (I have both)

Jump to this post

So, I had been taking Omeprazole for years due to GERD. Got sick of all the medication so stopped it and seemingly have had no problems without it. Does this set me up for MAC?

@katemn

Dear 128128terry11t .. Terry , @annie112 .. Annie, @apportee, @bboxer .. ,@bruce668 .. bruce, @cila .. Cila, @cathyt .. Cathy, @chinasmom .. , @coylemel333 .. Melody, @cowboy1997, @david1952 .. David, @del .. Del, @digmeme .. Linda, @elaine .. Elaine, @flib .. Flib, @fransky, @heathert .. Heather, @hopeful33250 .. , @imeehaigt, .. imee, TeresaH, @janovr .. Jan, @justjanet .. Janet, @jillnc, @jms7, @jewel8888 .. Julie, @josephene .. Jo, @judyem .. Judy, @katiemknor .. Winnie, @kaystrand .. kay S,@laneyk .. Elaine, @liliane .. Liliane, @lindam272 .. Linda, @lynnettehuler .. Lynn, @marier .. Marie, @margaretg .. Margaret, @mayoclinicseeker .. Pavitra , @maryjo2sell .. Maryjo, @marzz .. , @melissa23 .. Melissa, @mimi68 ..Linda, @nelisabeth .. Nelisabeth @Paula_MAC2007 .. Paula, @pfists .. Shari ,@pamelasc1 .. Pamela ,@reneeg .. Renee, @philomena .. Rosie MN, @rosemarya .. Rosemary, @shirleymac .. Shirley, @sophie1019 .. Sophie, @suzieapples, @tdrell .. terri, @tutti .. Lisa, @windwalker .. Terri, @worriedson, and anyone else I forgot to make note of!

Just a tip:
If you want to get to the VERY LAST POST ON OUR OUR FORUM .. OR TYPE A VERY NEW POST .. NOT A REPLY TO A POST:
1. Wherever you are on the Forum .. go to the VERY END of that particular page
2. At the bottom of the page you will see a square marked "LAST"
3. Hit "Last" .. it will take you to the very END/last page of our Mayo Clinic Connect

Hope your find this helpful! Hugs! Katherine

Jump to this post

<br><br><br><br><br>Hello Jennifer! If you seek help at non-profit institutions like the Mayo <br>or John Hopkins, to name a few; their price structure is lower than the for <br>profit medical institutions. Sometimes they will work will you on payment. They <br>will price out the services before you receive them if you ask. I know that <br>people come from all over the world to go to the Mayo. They have a special dept <br>that handles that. <br> <br><br>

@ehliny

Thanks! (I have both)

Jump to this post

<br><br><br><br><br>I don't know what medications you stopped. I know that if I stopped taking <br>mine, the MAC would colonize again. GERD can be silent , meaning that the acid <br>is eroding your esophageal tissue without you knowing it. So, I don't know that <br>it is a good idea to stop taking the omeprozole. Bottom line is, you should <br>never stop taking your meds until speaking with your doctor.<br> <br><br>

@ehliny

Thanks! (I have both)

Jump to this post

regardless of its cause, and most likely docs will be unable to distinguish the cause of your reflux as MAC or the hiatus hernia, I agree that d/c'ing your reflux med is unwise. If it's not working well or causing unwanted side effects (which happened to me w/omeprizol) try another med...

@katemn

@gggolfs, GG, just exercise, eat healthy, stay positive, keep up your doctor appointments .. be your own best advocate .. THEN do NOT believe/think about 'horror stories' .. I was on 4-5 antibiotics for 30 months and I CERTAINLY did not feel I ever went through any horror stories! Yes I had some fatigue, loss of appetite , sleep disturbance etc .. but really no biggie .. your body DOES adjust after a time .. it really is NOT a big deal. DON'T make a bigger deal of it than it is! Better to get RID of those nasty critters as I call the mycobacterium than allow them to multiply! So just continue to be happy .. the IF/WHEN the day comes you need to take action .. we are here .. we have ALL been on that journey! We will walk that journey with you! Hugs to you! Katherine

Jump to this post

Thanks for this, WW!

@ehliny

Thanks! (I have both)

Jump to this post

Agree that hypothetically, anecdotally, they're connected. I also give great weight to the opinion of someone like Dr. Aksamit. Neither changes the fact that until clinically proven we're all still guessing... just as NJH first stated increasing water heater to 140 then after more research learned that can cause a heat-resistant form of MAC so corrected it back to the usual 120-130, even the best are left with guessing and hypothesizing without the research dollars to know with greater certainty.... Water....soil...GERD...hot tubs... I'm sure Doc Aksamit would agree that we can't prevent the spread of it without research...

@ehliny

Thanks! (I have both)

Jump to this post

God willing there will be some bright researcher out there who will find an antibiotic or antibiotics to cure us and also invent a vaccine for everyone else. Irene

I was just wondering how many people on here had used a hot tub before their MAC./MAI diagnoses, maby even years before?

Please sign in or register to post a reply.