Want to talk about Multiple Myeloma: Anyone else?

Posted by Frazer 1 @frazer1, Apr 11, 2012

Asking anyone who is going thru this experience to share any pro's or con's of this disease. As of now I'm in MGUS, will find our next week if it has progress to Smoldering Myeloma.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Blood Cancers & Disorders Support Group.

@tml

So far Bio has no prescription. Then 3-5 days for insurance then 2-4 to get so looking at a week minimum and the cancer is raging. Do not think Velcade is working. Desparate. Seems a horrible process and very stressful.

Jump to this post

Oh dear, I’m so sorry this has been such an ordeal for you. Waiting is the worst especially when you’re feeling the pressure of time. But this is still manageable and treatment is just days away. There is no need to be desperate. You have a plan and it being put into motion. In a few days you have an appointment with the new doctor/clinic and I believe things will move quickly in your favor from that point on.
When you say Bio has no prescription, I don’t know what that means. Is this the new company who will provide the Revlimid?
What type of MM do you have? Is it light-chain MM?

I have the most common IGGKappa. The first time I was to get Revlimid but lots of side affects and had 2 PEs and a DVT before huge copay and deductible in drug plan. Change was made to Darzalex and was happy with that as went into remission and in maintenance but think they overlooked the rib that had shown up in a CT when first diagnosed and no follow up PET as my MRD numbers were so good. Perhaps should have asked for one but did not as thought I really had a lung issue. My mistake. I worry because weeks are going by that could be used to hopefully get back into remission. I was not sure where the prescription would go as my part D plan is with a Florida company and had the original Revlimid prescription from last May but no new one although may not always use the same one? Have no clue. I just wasted so many weeks and my myeloma numbers continue to rise. Hope something changes soon. The one bright spot is likely not to be addicted to opioids that they wanted me to use in rib, as they make me nauseous and I throw them up and was told dexamethasone causes insomnia but whenever I use it I sleep through the night. Just read about the settlement. Best book I read on that debacle was “Pharma” by Gerald Posner. Read before I knew I had myeloma and thought thank heavens I am pretty healthy and mostly vegan. Hmmmph! Caught in the drug insurance nightmare. There is now a generic available in Europe but will not be marketed here until 2026. Think might be a few companies here but obviously not really too available.

@wyom1998

The estimated stay is 2 weeks. At 64 stage 1 I am praying my aggressive agreement to my care plan will yield positive results.

Jump to this post

I am sure it will!!! Congratulations to you! So happy you were able to do it. Always best to be aggressive early as I am now learning! All the best!

@tml

Guess will have here as the place I will likely be referred back to the place that said I was not a candidate for a transplant.
If had there right after my remission not an issue. Not sure why. It was 5 months to get to remission before and each time harder in the body. Have had a horrible 2 months where I do not sleep. I know there is hope but I keep thinking of what should have been. Why did I not push for a transplant?

Jump to this post

Not your fault. You didn't know. It's what we pay our doctors for, medical advice, such as it is. There may be a reason for all this, above and beyond us we cannot see right now.

@wyom1998

The estimated stay is 2 weeks. At 64 stage 1 I am praying my aggressive agreement to my care plan will yield positive results.

Jump to this post

I have to agree with Lori, @wyom1998. You look radiant. I thought I'd check in and see how you are doing? Sending good vibes.

@tml

I only thought about staying in the middle of last night. Emailed them but not an option now. Am always too tired now to make rational decisions. Waiting for shuttle to airport. I am changing doctors at home although still with same health system. Have an appointment next Tuesday. I have to go tomorrow for my final Velcade shot at the old place. Hope to never see it again! Just hope shuttle gets to the airport in time. Worried because got a request to change to 10:30. Already close at 9:30! How many other horrible things can happen!!! Maybe overbooked?

Jump to this post

Good morning! I just wanted to wish you good luck with your appointment today! I hope this new clinic/doctor/team jumps on board with the latest treatment plan and gets you the help you need. Your second opinion at Mayo gave you hope for a new start in reaching remission and having the stem cell transplant. You are strong, so stay positive! You’ve got this! ☺️
Has your new prescription been filled yet?

No word. Nothing. Very worried. Wish I had some better news. Thanks for the encouragement! Sadly I am nauseous today so hopefully can get to the appointment!!!

@tml

No word. Nothing. Very worried. Wish I had some better news. Thanks for the encouragement! Sadly I am nauseous today so hopefully can get to the appointment!!!

Jump to this post

Oh nausea is nasty. I can empathize…had months of that. If I may offer a suggestion, try not to miss the appointment because of it. It’s really important you see the new doctor!
So, take a gallon ziplock baggie with a folded paper towel inside. Works as an emergency ‘catch all’ if you get my drift! You can put that in a nice tote or inside your purse. Just in case! And for now, a cool washcloth to the back of your neck can help. 🙂
Speak with your doctor about the prescription that is needed and see if they can expedite things. I’d be hounding my insurance provider at this point. Do you know if they’ve been contacted about your new med?

No and I hate to keep asking. Called insurance who said through physicians and only had old paperwork. Nothing current. No one called me but says 4-5 days for insurance part which might be up tomorrow or Friday.,had Mayo do it but perhaps would gmjave gone faster here but thought if done one the 3rd would be faster. Maybe not as my health care provider is here. Guess will as if he can check into it or facilitate. Again perhaps in my blush to get faster I slowed it down.

@tml

No and I hate to keep asking. Called insurance who said through physicians and only had old paperwork. Nothing current. No one called me but says 4-5 days for insurance part which might be up tomorrow or Friday.,had Mayo do it but perhaps would gmjave gone faster here but thought if done one the 3rd would be faster. Maybe not as my health care provider is here. Guess will as if he can check into it or facilitate. Again perhaps in my blush to get faster I slowed it down.

Jump to this post

Push to get faster…

Please sign in or register to post a reply.