Want to talk about Multiple Myeloma: Anyone else?

Posted by Frazer 1 @frazer1, Apr 11, 2012

Asking anyone who is going thru this experience to share any pro's or con's of this disease. As of now I'm in MGUS, will find our next week if it has progress to Smoldering Myeloma.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Blood Cancers & Disorders Support Group.

You are wonderful! I called my insurance again and hoping to get something soon!!! Glad you encouraged me to try again!!!

@tml

You are wonderful! I called my insurance again and hoping to get something soon!!! Glad you encouraged me to try again!!!

Jump to this post

Oh that’s awesome!! We have to be our own advocates and it’s ok to be pushy! It’s your health at stake. I call it being respectfully assertive. You can be pushy but be nice too!! 😂 My mom said, “You get more flies with honey than vinegar.” And that has stuck with me for many decades. But I find it helps get people on your side with a little more compassion and understanding! I hope all goes well at your appointment. Will you me know how it goes?

Well turns out not so good. I may have screwed things up again! I had the process started over again when might have gotten in old authorization. The latter days, a new one weeks!

@tml

Well turns out not so good. I may have screwed things up again! I had the process started over again when might have gotten in old authorization. The latter days, a new one weeks!

Jump to this post

Ok, don’t panic this is fixable. How about if you call the insurance company again and tell them what you just told me. They can go back and check your previous authorization and use that instead, cancelling the new request.
Honestly, don’t be so hard on yourself. You didn’t screw anything up. You are under a lot of pressure, stress and are facing the clock on treatment. So it’s understandable you’re feeling panicky. I think this little glitch will be a matter of trying to remain calm and explain this to your insurance liaison person. This will work out.
Or, with the visit to your new doctor, maybe they’ll be able to get your prescription pushed through. Did you have that appointment this morning?

That is what I am trying now. Waiting to be called into appointment but running late, I guess

@tml

That is what I am trying now. Waiting to be called into appointment but running late, I guess

Jump to this post

Use this waiting time to decompress. 😊 Deep, cleansing breaths and exhale. You’ve got this. Do you have notes of what you want to discuss? If not, use your phone memo pad to jot things down. 😊

@loribmt

Good morning! I just wanted to wish you good luck with your appointment today! I hope this new clinic/doctor/team jumps on board with the latest treatment plan and gets you the help you need. Your second opinion at Mayo gave you hope for a new start in reaching remission and having the stem cell transplant. You are strong, so stay positive! You’ve got this! ☺️
Has your new prescription been filled yet?

Jump to this post

No it did not go well. Hoping for some more information before I make a decision. May still be able to salvage this but not sure. Thanks for all your support!!!

@tml

No it did not go well. Hoping for some more information before I make a decision. May still be able to salvage this but not sure. Thanks for all your support!!!

Jump to this post

@tml I'm sorry to hear you feel your appointment did not go well. Would you explain a little more about that experience?

I have been following your posts about the Revlimid and getting things set up for another battle. In my Revlimid experience, each month my oncologist has to okay that there is a need for another round, and that gets transmitted to McKesson Pharmacy in Texas, where they fill the script. Then I speak to them, and make the arrangements for delivery [confirm address, answer survey questions, etc.] It is a highly regulated medication. In fact, today we expect to see our favorite FedEx guy this afternoon as he delivers my next round, that starts tomorrow.

Keeping on top of your treatments and how to get in to a RMD stage again can be very taxing. What will you do today to take a bit of a break mentally and emotionally, to relax and gather your energy?
Ginger

I had a script from a year ago that I did not realize was active so had to be cancelled and restarted through Mayo. That slowed everything up but hope getting through Mayo still. Went to another local doctor which I thought I would transfer to but now the next day think not a good move and prefer my original doctor. The medical and insurance bureaucracy is formidable. I wished I had understood it better as seem everything is a minefield.

@tml

I had a script from a year ago that I did not realize was active so had to be cancelled and restarted through Mayo. That slowed everything up but hope getting through Mayo still. Went to another local doctor which I thought I would transfer to but now the next day think not a good move and prefer my original doctor. The medical and insurance bureaucracy is formidable. I wished I had understood it better as seem everything is a minefield.

Jump to this post

Hardly saw the doctor just the PA who took all the information and he came in just to deliver his treatment plan. Not thrilled. Appointment was for 1 and saw him finally at 4. Granted doctors can be busy but 3 hours for his 15 minutes. Hmmm.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.