Living with Neuropathy - Welcome to the group

Welcome to the Neuropathy group.
This is a welcoming, safe place where you can meet other people who are dealing with neuropathy. Let’s learn from each other and share stories about living well with neuropathy, coping with the challenges and offering tips.

I’m Colleen, and I’m the moderator of this group, and Community Director of Connect. Chances are you’ll to be greeted by volunteer patient Mentor John (@johnbishop) and fellow members when you post to this group. Learn more about Moderators and Mentors on Connect.

We look forward to welcoming you and introducing you to other members. Feel free to browse the topics or start a new one.
Let’s chat. Why not start by introducing yourself? What concerns would you like to talk about?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Neuropathy Support Group.

@efgh1020

There are maillot one-piece swimsuits from Swim and Sweat with front zippers. I have feet leg and hand neuropathy, and this makes getting in and out of my bathing suit easier. So glad for your access to a pool. I look forward to my weekly Aquatherapy, and plan to return to my aquacize class more often.

Jump to this post

Those look nice. I prefer something skirted to hide more, but that gives me an idea to look for a skirted zipped suit.

@jlnda

Hi
I have only 1 hand that hurts with nerve pain. Began around 7 years ago in my index finger. Then spread to whole hand.
I can't imagine having this pain in both hands. If it was a foot I wouldn't be walking. I'm still looking for for why. Just had a thoracic MRI this morning. Already had head and cervical MRI'S. I am not diabetic and always ate whole foods. I certainly have empathy for you.

Jump to this post

I also have pain and numbness in my right hand only.
That started 3 yrs ago and there’s a lot I can’t do with that hand.
Very upsetting as I’m right handed.

@dbeshears1

Like John, I was wondering if it could be carpal tunnel or other trapped nerve through wrist or elbow. Have they done an EMG of your arm! I hope you consider Physical Therapy regardless to see what exercises might help? Debbie

Jump to this post

No it’s not carpal tunnel as stated by my neurologist who I saw 2 weeks ago.
He stated it’s due to my CIDP and involved the radial and ulnar nerves in my arm.

I’m having problems walking. I don’t have a diagnosis of neuropathy. I have severe lumbar scoliosis and stenosis. A doctor recommended surgery last year, but I also have osteoporosis and getting the right treatment for that has delayed any decision about surgery. I could walk fine with a cane up to a mile last fall(with short rest stops).

In December 2023 my legs “felt funny” and I started having difficulty walking, with some increased back pain. Beginning in January 2024, I had severe pain (sciatica?) radiating down my buttocks and both legs, along with tingling and numbness in my legs. I had to use a walker and started gabapentin and also a course of steroids. I never used a walker until this happened.

Now the pain has receded, still there off and on but more manageable. My legs have not gotten better. Using a cane for short distances works, but I wobble side to side and that hurts my hips. I still need to use the walker to really get anywhere. My legs feel weak, as though they will give out, often numb and/or tingly.

I had an MRI and spine doctor just says take Forteo and then surgery. So I guess all the problems stem from the stenosis getting worse, but I don’t know for sure. Any suggestions?

Buenas tardes mi nombre es Carlos de 65 años y desde finales del 2020 inicio mi problema, hace mas de 30 años me operé de varicocele izquierdo y al final fue un desastre y tuve una infección que llevo a una orquiectomía. bueno durante casi 30 años de estar tranquilo con alguna molestia eventual , despertó un dolor muy agudo en la zona genital me he pasado por varios urólogos, me dieron antiinflamtorios, analgesicos, me examinaron la prostata , riñones, etc. hasta que luego de muchos meses me derivaron a terapia del Dolor con el diagnostico de que en la orquiectomia me cortaron el nervio genito y con este tema se calma unos meses y luego despierta afectando mi calidad de vida. que se aconseja en estos casos?? que ya son 3 años sin solución

@carlosaugusto

Buenas tardes mi nombre es Carlos de 65 años y desde finales del 2020 inicio mi problema, hace mas de 30 años me operé de varicocele izquierdo y al final fue un desastre y tuve una infección que llevo a una orquiectomía. bueno durante casi 30 años de estar tranquilo con alguna molestia eventual , despertó un dolor muy agudo en la zona genital me he pasado por varios urólogos, me dieron antiinflamtorios, analgesicos, me examinaron la prostata , riñones, etc. hasta que luego de muchos meses me derivaron a terapia del Dolor con el diagnostico de que en la orquiectomia me cortaron el nervio genito y con este tema se calma unos meses y luego despierta afectando mi calidad de vida. que se aconseja en estos casos?? que ya son 3 años sin solución

Jump to this post

Hello @carlosaugusto, Welcome to Connect. I'm sorry to hear you have had to deal with the complications and the orchiectomy that followed. Three years is a long time to have to deal with no solutions that help. There is another discussion that I think you might find helpful:
--- Anyone considered bilateral orchiectomy: Why or why not?: https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/bilateral-orchiectomy/

I did find some research on the topic that might be helpful:
"How do you treat testicular nerve pain?
Conservative therapy includes heat, ice, scrotal elevation, antibiotics, analgesics, NSAIDs, antidepressants (doxepin or amitriptyline), anticonvulsants (gabapentin and pregabalin), regional and local nerve blocks, pelvic floor physical therapy, biofeedback, acupuncture, and psychotherapy for at least 3 months."
--- Chronic Testicular Pain and Orchalgia: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK482481/

It sounds like you have seen many different doctors. Are you able to seek a second opinion?

@clairemcl

I’m having problems walking. I don’t have a diagnosis of neuropathy. I have severe lumbar scoliosis and stenosis. A doctor recommended surgery last year, but I also have osteoporosis and getting the right treatment for that has delayed any decision about surgery. I could walk fine with a cane up to a mile last fall(with short rest stops).

In December 2023 my legs “felt funny” and I started having difficulty walking, with some increased back pain. Beginning in January 2024, I had severe pain (sciatica?) radiating down my buttocks and both legs, along with tingling and numbness in my legs. I had to use a walker and started gabapentin and also a course of steroids. I never used a walker until this happened.

Now the pain has receded, still there off and on but more manageable. My legs have not gotten better. Using a cane for short distances works, but I wobble side to side and that hurts my hips. I still need to use the walker to really get anywhere. My legs feel weak, as though they will give out, often numb and/or tingly.

I had an MRI and spine doctor just says take Forteo and then surgery. So I guess all the problems stem from the stenosis getting worse, but I don’t know for sure. Any suggestions?

Jump to this post

Hi Claire,
Wondering if your MRI mentioned tarlov cysts.
Most neurologists say they can't be symptomatic but they can definitely cause major problems. Look up Dr. Feigenbaum if tarlov cysts were noted on MRI

@ray666

Hi, Leonard
I agree: It's never too late to learn something new, even how, at 79, to enjoy oneself in the water (other than in the shower, I mean, of course 🙂 ). Suggested by a good friend some months ago, I did bring up the possibility of aquatic PT when I met with my doctor, and he (surprisingly, perhaps) endorsed the idea but asked that I give top priority to dryland (!?!) strength-based PT of the sort I'd already been doing.
Ray

Jump to this post

I definitely endorse doing land PT over water, if you can. I do water only because it’s too painful to do land exercises. Being in the water takes away the pain, but I know pain isn’t a problem for you. I have no doubt I was getting a better workout when I went for a brisk walk, or used the machines at the gym.

Hi, julbpat (@julbpat)

Is it 'fess-up time? Pain isn't a problem for me—– until it is. Just now, I'm nursing an achy right hip—by "achy," I mean seriously achy. I have a brand new appointment to talk with my orthopedist's NP about this. It's times like these when I wish I were a practiced hand at aquatic PT. To spare my hip, I'd happily hop into the water. 🙂

Cheers!
Ray (@ray666)

@johnbishop

Hello @carlosaugusto, Welcome to Connect. I'm sorry to hear you have had to deal with the complications and the orchiectomy that followed. Three years is a long time to have to deal with no solutions that help. There is another discussion that I think you might find helpful:
--- Anyone considered bilateral orchiectomy: Why or why not?: https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/bilateral-orchiectomy/

I did find some research on the topic that might be helpful:
"How do you treat testicular nerve pain?
Conservative therapy includes heat, ice, scrotal elevation, antibiotics, analgesics, NSAIDs, antidepressants (doxepin or amitriptyline), anticonvulsants (gabapentin and pregabalin), regional and local nerve blocks, pelvic floor physical therapy, biofeedback, acupuncture, and psychotherapy for at least 3 months."
--- Chronic Testicular Pain and Orchalgia: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK482481/

It sounds like you have seen many different doctors. Are you able to seek a second opinion?

Jump to this post

Buenos días Jhon ;

Gracias por tu pronta respuesta , aprecio mucho tus sugerencias y link que me adjuntas para encontrar algún alivio y definitivamente una segunda opinión siempre es bienvenida

Saludos cordiales

Carlos

Please sign in or register to post a reply.