Living with Neuropathy - Welcome to the group

Welcome to the Neuropathy group.
This is a welcoming, safe place where you can meet other people who are dealing with neuropathy. Let’s learn from each other and share stories about living well with neuropathy, coping with the challenges and offering tips.

I’m Colleen, and I’m the moderator of this group, and Community Director of Connect. Chances are you’ll to be greeted by volunteer patient Mentor John (@johnbishop) and fellow members when you post to this group. Learn more about Moderators and Mentors on Connect.

We look forward to welcoming you and introducing you to other members. Feel free to browse the topics or start a new one.
Let’s chat. Why not start by introducing yourself? What concerns would you like to talk about?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Neuropathy Support Group.

@dbeshears1

@penn, You reminded me of a time when it seemed like every night, I had a body jolt in my hip area that almost lifted me out of bed. It wasn’t painful, but just one weird spasm as my body was getting near sleep. It went on for at least a year and I couldn’t figure it out. I also have no idea how it stopped, because until reading your post, I didn’t realize it no longer happens! I hope yours resolved soon!

Jump to this post

HI Debbie, I'll seeing my Neurologist next week and I will be asking him about that. I hope there is a reason because nothing makes sense anymore. Just Chronic pain!!!
I wish you the beat!

@julbpat

I have had periods where I had random twitching when I tried to take a nap in the daytime. As I relaxed, it would suddenly stop. This same twitching would also occur when I was sitting, using my hands, etc but not as strong. It was very strong for a while, but has diminished with time. Who knows why? I’m sure it will be replaced by some other weird thing!

Jump to this post

HI julbpat,
Your are so right about "another weird thing"
It happens to me even if I'm not sleeping? It comes and goes.
I would like to know, who in my family going way back if anyone had AUTOIMMUNE!!! PROBLEMS. It has taken my life from me and my husbands,
Something I wanted to mention to everyone but I forgot whats was?? Darn it!!!
Wishing you the the best!

@ray666

I'm puzzling over a double whammy. I’m posting not because I’m looking for a snap solution, but only on the chance that another of you out there may have faced the same dilemma.

I have idiopathic PN––no pain (thank goodness!) but balance difficulties, especially in low light and unfamiliar surroundings. That’s Whammy No. 1.

Whammy No. 2 is a nagging bladder: every 20 or 25 minutes it seems I have to “go” again. (I’ve tried Flomax but it hasn’t helped.) What’s the dilemma, you’re wondering? My partner and I have always enjoyed going to the theater: movies, plays, and concerts. We haven’t been to the theater since the onset of my PN. An auditorium environment can be a challenging place: low light, unfamiliar surroundings, and––thanks to a nagging bladder––a need to hop up (darn near impossible for a guy with PN) and go to the restroom.

I realize this is not The Crisis of All Crises, but my partner suggested I ask on Connect; “You never can tell,” she said. “Someone may have already found an answer to this ‘Living with PN’ question.” (I'm smiling even as I ask the question.:-) )

Ray (@ray666)

Jump to this post

Oh my brother from another mother Ray @ray666. It definitely is a double whammy for me also. Not sure I have any real answers for you but I can tell you how I sort of cope with it. The only time I use a walker is on my trips to the bathroom at night because my balance is not great and it's darkish. The walker is not practical for me outside the home since it would be more of a nuisance and slow me down. I don't go out late in the evening much but when I do I have the senior shuffle down pat. I don't walk very fast on purpose and I'm always looking where I'm stepping.

I do have to deal with the nagging bladder issue when we go out anywhere. What has helped me is to try and use the bathroom before we go out, then not drink any liquids or limit them when we are out unless I have easy access to a bathroom.

I also use tamsulosin (flomax) daily and take it at night vs in the morning with my other meds. This was a tip I got from my pharmacist after years of taking it in the morning. At my annual wellness appointment earlier this week I discussed the issue of trouble emptying the bladder with my new PCP and she mentioned trying another medication that works differently if I wanted to try it. I think it was finasteride but she mentioned some side effects that I wasn't keen about - takes up to six months before it starts helping and can also cause sexual dysfunction. I was thinking more of the minimal invasive surgery so I may have a consult with urology this summer just not sure if I want to do it or just live with it.

Right now I'm just trying to stay warm and happy most of the snow missed us. I think we may have 3 to 4 inches of the white stuff by morning and my wife should be able to get out of the driveway to get to work at 5 am so I can wait until it's light out before I break out the snowblower and clear the driveway. It's 7 degrees now but the high for the next 3 days is 10 degrees Saturday, minus 8 Sunday and Monday for a high and minus 10 or lower at night for the next 3 days. Hoping it's warmer where you are.

@ray666

I'm puzzling over a double whammy. I’m posting not because I’m looking for a snap solution, but only on the chance that another of you out there may have faced the same dilemma.

I have idiopathic PN––no pain (thank goodness!) but balance difficulties, especially in low light and unfamiliar surroundings. That’s Whammy No. 1.

Whammy No. 2 is a nagging bladder: every 20 or 25 minutes it seems I have to “go” again. (I’ve tried Flomax but it hasn’t helped.) What’s the dilemma, you’re wondering? My partner and I have always enjoyed going to the theater: movies, plays, and concerts. We haven’t been to the theater since the onset of my PN. An auditorium environment can be a challenging place: low light, unfamiliar surroundings, and––thanks to a nagging bladder––a need to hop up (darn near impossible for a guy with PN) and go to the restroom.

I realize this is not The Crisis of All Crises, but my partner suggested I ask on Connect; “You never can tell,” she said. “Someone may have already found an answer to this ‘Living with PN’ question.” (I'm smiling even as I ask the question.:-) )

Ray (@ray666)

Jump to this post

@ray666 - I had my annual eye doctor appointment this week. I mentioned how I’ve just come to notice this past winter that it’s more challenging for walking and balance to be outside in the dark, which I find I am more in our new home community. Nighttime walking to the bathroom has the same challenge but it’s so few steps that it is not as concerning. I told her I avoid driving at night because with my PN, I think it’s safer for me to be able to have a little visibility of my feet, but that when I do drive in the dark, I still feel my vision is off a little, despite having had cataract surgery.
Her answer surprised me. I had my cataract surgery 1 year after I came down with my severe PN. The surgery implanted lens for “mono-vision”. Before the surgery, I wore glasses (or contact lenses when I had good fingers/hands before PN) for a few years that had me seeing mono-vision. (For those who may not know, mono-vision is where one eye is set to see/read close up, the other for far away, and your brain adjusts so both eyes work together for complete vision)
She explained that it’s extremely common for people with mono-vision to have a harder time adjusting to night vision, as darkness makes it harder for the eyes to adjust to the distance part of the vision, which can be just a few feet. She said they have glasses that help folks with mono-vision adjust to being in the dark better, but without glasses, to try not to look too far away while walking at night when I do.
In hindsight (no pun intended), I believe my nights were a little more challenging at night vs day for the 3 years I had contacts/glasses corrected to mono vision before I ever got PN, so I believe this Ophthalmologist when she says I might be wrong (in my case) for blaming my night time balance woes on PN when the mono-vision dilemma occurs in folks without PN as well. (So maybe a double-whammy for me)

@ray666

Ray (@ray666)

Jump to this post

Hi Ray, I take Gabapentin for bladder urgency, which may be different from your situation. W/o it I wouldn't make it to the bathroom in time. It is very expensive, but w/ appeal from my urologist the price drops to about 1/5 after insurance has paid.
I also have implanted a nerve stimulator which increases my bladder control. With both the Gabapentin and the E-stim device life is almost normal. I can certainly enjoy a concert, an opera, or a play
Wishing you the very best. Hope you have a good urologist to work with.
2° in Central Oregon at 10 AM.

@johnbishop

Oh my brother from another mother Ray @ray666. It definitely is a double whammy for me also. Not sure I have any real answers for you but I can tell you how I sort of cope with it. The only time I use a walker is on my trips to the bathroom at night because my balance is not great and it's darkish. The walker is not practical for me outside the home since it would be more of a nuisance and slow me down. I don't go out late in the evening much but when I do I have the senior shuffle down pat. I don't walk very fast on purpose and I'm always looking where I'm stepping.

I do have to deal with the nagging bladder issue when we go out anywhere. What has helped me is to try and use the bathroom before we go out, then not drink any liquids or limit them when we are out unless I have easy access to a bathroom.

I also use tamsulosin (flomax) daily and take it at night vs in the morning with my other meds. This was a tip I got from my pharmacist after years of taking it in the morning. At my annual wellness appointment earlier this week I discussed the issue of trouble emptying the bladder with my new PCP and she mentioned trying another medication that works differently if I wanted to try it. I think it was finasteride but she mentioned some side effects that I wasn't keen about - takes up to six months before it starts helping and can also cause sexual dysfunction. I was thinking more of the minimal invasive surgery so I may have a consult with urology this summer just not sure if I want to do it or just live with it.

Right now I'm just trying to stay warm and happy most of the snow missed us. I think we may have 3 to 4 inches of the white stuff by morning and my wife should be able to get out of the driveway to get to work at 5 am so I can wait until it's light out before I break out the snowblower and clear the driveway. It's 7 degrees now but the high for the next 3 days is 10 degrees Saturday, minus 8 Sunday and Monday for a high and minus 10 or lower at night for the next 3 days. Hoping it's warmer where you are.

Jump to this post

Hellooooo, John! (@johnbishop)

It's cold here too. I think it's cold everywhere. I went out first thing this morning to fill my gas tank, and it was -5º. When I was heading home, my Jeep's dash told me it had risen to -3º. I thought, "Phew! It's really warming up. Time to set out the patio furniture." 🙂

I haven't acquired a walker yet, but I can see one in my future––maybe my near future. Most hours of the day, I get around just fine, a little shaky, of course (at certain hours more so than others), but my balance practice has so far prevented me from falling. Of course, I don't want a bad fall to be an overdue message: "Hey, Ray, how about that walker?"

Although my partner and I have skipped going to movies and plays (those darkened auditoriums) when we have a friend's invite for dinner, I do much as you do: stop drinking any liquids a few hours before we're expected at the friend's, then ration drinking any liquids while we're there. That helps, but we've made a practice of keeping our social get-togethers short.

Along those lines, a movie over three hours, like Oppenheimer and Killers of the Flower Moon, presents a real challenge. Wagner operas are definitely out, too. 🙂

I plan to give tamsulosin another try. I was too quick to blame what I thought was a new side effect on the tamsulosin. What I thought was possibly a medication side effect may have been nothing more than my PN acting up. I, too, would rather avoid surgery, minimally invasive or not; a friend had the surgery you may be thinking of, and although the results were good, he was uncomfortable for about 7-10 days (i.e., a catheter). Today, he's happy he did what he did. I envy him, but I think I will try tamsulosin first.

I see it's now -1º. Downright tropical. 🙂

Ray

@dbeshears1

@ray666 - I had my annual eye doctor appointment this week. I mentioned how I’ve just come to notice this past winter that it’s more challenging for walking and balance to be outside in the dark, which I find I am more in our new home community. Nighttime walking to the bathroom has the same challenge but it’s so few steps that it is not as concerning. I told her I avoid driving at night because with my PN, I think it’s safer for me to be able to have a little visibility of my feet, but that when I do drive in the dark, I still feel my vision is off a little, despite having had cataract surgery.
Her answer surprised me. I had my cataract surgery 1 year after I came down with my severe PN. The surgery implanted lens for “mono-vision”. Before the surgery, I wore glasses (or contact lenses when I had good fingers/hands before PN) for a few years that had me seeing mono-vision. (For those who may not know, mono-vision is where one eye is set to see/read close up, the other for far away, and your brain adjusts so both eyes work together for complete vision)
She explained that it’s extremely common for people with mono-vision to have a harder time adjusting to night vision, as darkness makes it harder for the eyes to adjust to the distance part of the vision, which can be just a few feet. She said they have glasses that help folks with mono-vision adjust to being in the dark better, but without glasses, to try not to look too far away while walking at night when I do.
In hindsight (no pun intended), I believe my nights were a little more challenging at night vs day for the 3 years I had contacts/glasses corrected to mono vision before I ever got PN, so I believe this Ophthalmologist when she says I might be wrong (in my case) for blaming my night time balance woes on PN when the mono-vision dilemma occurs in folks without PN as well. (So maybe a double-whammy for me)

Jump to this post

Hi, Debbie (@dbeshears1)

Thanks for your post! And thanks for a really informative message about cataract surgery! I knew very little of what you told me. Later this month, I have a routine follow-up with my eye doctor and I’m sure he and I will again talk about the pros and cons of cataract surgery. I ask him every time I see him if I’m a good candidate, and invariably, he’ll say, “Not yet, Ray.” He assures me that my misgivings about my aging eyesight are not the sort that would be helped by cataract surgery. Luckily, my misgivings are neither pressing nor terribly bothersome. My reading vision is not as good as it once was (then again, there’s not much about me that’s as good as it once was 🙂 ). Over and over, my doctor will pronounce my eyesight as showing signs of “incipient cataract difficulties”––and so we wait. I suppose I’ll have to wait until my doctor tells me my cataract difficulties are a five-alarm fire! 🙂

Staying warm? It’s -1º here at the moment. Officially winter, I’d say!

Ray (@ray666)

@joanland

Hi Ray, I take Gabapentin for bladder urgency, which may be different from your situation. W/o it I wouldn't make it to the bathroom in time. It is very expensive, but w/ appeal from my urologist the price drops to about 1/5 after insurance has paid.
I also have implanted a nerve stimulator which increases my bladder control. With both the Gabapentin and the E-stim device life is almost normal. I can certainly enjoy a concert, an opera, or a play

Jump to this post

Hi, Joan

Thanks for your reply. Thus far, none of my doctors has mentioned Gabapentin. Is Gabapentin not primarily for pain? Fortunately, pain is not one of my PN symptoms, only an unsteady balance and a wobbly way of walking. Perhaps I should see a urologist. Urology is one specialty I've not investigated. Thanks for mentioning it!

Ray (@ray666)

@joanland

Jump to this post

What an error. I do NOT take Gabapentin for bladder urgency. I take MYRBETRIQ.
So sorry for such a big mistake.
Joan

@ray666

Hellooooo, John! (@johnbishop)

It's cold here too. I think it's cold everywhere. I went out first thing this morning to fill my gas tank, and it was -5º. When I was heading home, my Jeep's dash told me it had risen to -3º. I thought, "Phew! It's really warming up. Time to set out the patio furniture." 🙂

I haven't acquired a walker yet, but I can see one in my future––maybe my near future. Most hours of the day, I get around just fine, a little shaky, of course (at certain hours more so than others), but my balance practice has so far prevented me from falling. Of course, I don't want a bad fall to be an overdue message: "Hey, Ray, how about that walker?"

Although my partner and I have skipped going to movies and plays (those darkened auditoriums) when we have a friend's invite for dinner, I do much as you do: stop drinking any liquids a few hours before we're expected at the friend's, then ration drinking any liquids while we're there. That helps, but we've made a practice of keeping our social get-togethers short.

Along those lines, a movie over three hours, like Oppenheimer and Killers of the Flower Moon, presents a real challenge. Wagner operas are definitely out, too. 🙂

I plan to give tamsulosin another try. I was too quick to blame what I thought was a new side effect on the tamsulosin. What I thought was possibly a medication side effect may have been nothing more than my PN acting up. I, too, would rather avoid surgery, minimally invasive or not; a friend had the surgery you may be thinking of, and although the results were good, he was uncomfortable for about 7-10 days (i.e., a catheter). Today, he's happy he did what he did. I envy him, but I think I will try tamsulosin first.

I see it's now -1º. Downright tropical. 🙂

Ray

Jump to this post

Hi Ray-
It is a warm -1 here at 1 pm and snowing. Three neighbors are out removing snow.
I made a huge error. I take MYRBETRIQ, NOT gabapentin for bladder urgency. I wish I could remove my prior message with the error in it.
Joan

Please sign in or register to post a reply.