Living with Neuropathy - Welcome to the group

Welcome to the Neuropathy group.
This is a welcoming, safe place where you can meet other people who are dealing with neuropathy. Let’s learn from each other and share stories about living well with neuropathy, coping with the challenges and offering tips.

I’m Colleen, and I’m the moderator of this group, and Community Director of Connect. Chances are you’ll to be greeted by volunteer patient Mentor John (@johnbishop) and fellow members when you post to this group. Learn more about Moderators and Mentors on Connect.

We look forward to welcoming you and introducing you to other members. Feel free to browse the topics or start a new one.
Let’s chat. Why not start by introducing yourself? What concerns would you like to talk about?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Neuropathy Support Group.

My name is Glen G. I have neuropathy in my feet. It started near my toes, but is now spreading to my whole feet. Two Doctors said that nothing can be done for it. I have read that walking and proper diet is the best treatment for it. I have always walked a lot. I belong to two walking groups. After walking a while it feels like I am walking on stumps.

@gbny1224

How bad are your flare ups ? I'm getting flare ups just out of the blue every day they last about 15 mins. Suicide level pain on the legs and somewhat on the shoukders. The worse one I had the other day my legs and shoulders hurt and was crying for about 40 mins. Also my arms hands and head were burning. I got in my truck and was headed to the er because this one lasted much longer. I ended up turning around when it finally went away. Not much they can do pointless to go really.

Jump to this post

@gbny1224 you will notice that I have moved your post on flare ups into an existing discussion that I see you've joined previously. You can find your post here now:
- Living with Neuropathy - Welcome to the group: https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/living-with-neuropathy-welcome-to-the-group/

Have you ever tried something topical like arnica cream to see if it would reduce your pain during flare ups?

@amandajro

@gbny1224 you will notice that I have moved your post on flare ups into an existing discussion that I see you've joined previously. You can find your post here now:
- Living with Neuropathy - Welcome to the group: https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/living-with-neuropathy-welcome-to-the-group/

Have you ever tried something topical like arnica cream to see if it would reduce your pain during flare ups?

Jump to this post

My personal feeling is that moving a discussion to a 5,000+ post discussion means it is harder for people to find things. I think it would have been better to reference the discussion you found rather than burying it. Just my 2 cents.

@gleng

My name is Glen G. I have neuropathy in my feet. It started near my toes, but is now spreading to my whole feet. Two Doctors said that nothing can be done for it. I have read that walking and proper diet is the best treatment for it. I have always walked a lot. I belong to two walking groups. After walking a while it feels like I am walking on stumps.

Jump to this post

Hi Glen @gleng, Welcome to Connect. It sounds like your neuropathy started similar to mine. I posted my story earlier on Connect here - https://connect.mayoclinic.org/comment/310341/. Exercise and a healthy diet certainly can't hurt your neuropathy and there are other benefits for your overall health. Here is some information from the Foundation for Peripheral Neuropathy on living well with neuropathy that you might find helpful -- https://www.foundationforpn.org/living-well/.

How long have you had neuropathy? Have you tried any complementary or alternative treatments?

@cgs

Does anyone on here have a problem with drinking three or four cups of coffee sometimes for their achiness when they get up in the morning and do they have problems with that affecting their neuropathy in any way because of the caffeine

Jump to this post

Coffee has not been problematic although I have converted to decaffeinated just to play it safe. Also, be careful what you are adding to your coffee, particularly sugar.

@gleng

Jump to this post

Correct. Walking is good to do to keep the nerves as active as possible. Also, pay attention to what you are ingesting. Vitamin B-6 toxicity is well documented.

@gleng

Jump to this post

Try changing shoes. I recommend Hokas and keep walking.

@aaroncush

My personal feeling is that moving a discussion to a 5,000+ post discussion means it is harder for people to find things. I think it would have been better to reference the discussion you found rather than burying it. Just my 2 cents.

Jump to this post

Hello @aaroncush. Moving a post into an existing discussion allows for those already in the discussion to be notified, provided their notifications are turned on, which can more quickly provide a connection with, and for, members. As well, keeping comments on the same topic under one discussion also makes finding discussions easier for members.

i suggest you all work work with a physical thearapist specializing in neuropathy -like i have-she has tauught me exercises that help me trmendoulusly-also I take one half a pill of effexor twice a day which also helps-Mike Storman

Hi, i am mike. I am interested in PHN caused by shingles. Is there a group for this condition?
Thanks,
Mike

Please sign in or register to post a reply.