Liver transplant - Let's support each other

Posted by lmctif @lmctif, Oct 29, 2018

What topics do people who are waiting for a liver transplant want to talk about? Who has had a liver transplant and wants to talk about?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Transplants Support Group.

@footballmum

Good morning from Canada . Congratulations on your recent transplant. I had my liver transplant in October 2020. I don't mean to alarm you but you need to contact your transplant nurse and primary care giver. You may be experiencing a bile duct leak and that is a life threatening occurrence. If it is it can be taken care of in a hospital situation. It will require surgery. I will keep you in my prayers. Let us know how you make out.
🙏🤗

Jump to this post

My doctor know they state that’s it’s to small to drain, I am concerned this is my second bile duct leak
Kandi

@sg3

Hello everyone,

'Thank you for letting me join the group. I am a 4 month liver transplant recipient . I'm searching for opinions and feedback on certain side effects. At this time I am having pain on my upper right side and my stomach area has a hard bloating effect which is uncomfortable and worrisome. If anyone has had similar symptoms, please reply. My next appointment for labs is this coming Monday and I also have an appointment with my liver team on Wednesday.

Thank you.

Jump to this post

hi

Great job in getting your transplant done.
It is the 2nd life God has given you. I had mine done 4 and a half years ago.
I too had the same symptoms you are going through. But it seems to be normal.
Over a period of time, you will get used to it and it will go away. However, it is best you mention this to your hepatologist.
All the best and take care of your food intake and take your medics on time without any deviation.

@klm3

Hello - I'll answer the questions I can and hope it helps. Mayo AZ is in a safe affluent neighborhood. Mayo does offer some options to stay on campus or near by but you may want to look into an Air BnB or VRBO for lodging. There are plenty of lyft or uber options as well as meal and grocery delivery services. Depending on where he lives - it may not be the best option location wise because you have to be nearby to go to the hospital for a deceased donor (I forget - its like 4 hours or so). Quality wise it is ranked the best in AZ.

Now to what I should have started with - If your father insurance covers mayo transplant and hospital services. Double check with his insurance and see what options you'll have. Mayo may not be covered but an adequate hospital in his location may be. This link can help https://www.srtr.org/transplant-centers/?organ=liver looking into transplant centers - you may have to copy and paste.
Remember to double check for hospital and liver transplant services - I am personally going through this and actually have to get a second insurance that covers the transplant part.

Best of luck and I wish you and your father well.

Jump to this post

Thank you.

@jamesduaiswamy

hi

Great job in getting your transplant done.
It is the 2nd life God has given you. I had mine done 4 and a half years ago.
I too had the same symptoms you are going through. But it seems to be normal.
Over a period of time, you will get used to it and it will go away. However, it is best you mention this to your hepatologist.
All the best and take care of your food intake and take your medics on time without any deviation.

Jump to this post

Thank you so much. I do have an appointment with my liver transplant team and my doctor tomorrow. They seem to think I could have developed a hernia. Last week I had an unfortunate situation when having a root canal. The ibuprofen caused me to gag from the nausea.

Feeling better today. Thank you for your reply.

Hi

Ibuprofen is not recommended for post-liver transplant patients.
Tylenol is the go-to medication.
During your consultation, please obtain a list of all approved medications/food, etc.

All the best.

@sg3

Hello everyone,

'Thank you for letting me join the group. I am a 4 month liver transplant recipient . I'm searching for opinions and feedback on certain side effects. At this time I am having pain on my upper right side and my stomach area has a hard bloating effect which is uncomfortable and worrisome. If anyone has had similar symptoms, please reply. My next appointment for labs is this coming Monday and I also have an appointment with my liver team on Wednesday.

Thank you.

Jump to this post

I've had upper right side pain since the third month after transplant. I am 17 months post transplant. After much complaint I had at different times 2 MRIs & 2 Liver biopsies, the last one being about 5 months ago. In addition I have quite elevated liver enzymes, Alk Phos & GGT.
My doctors tell me that I am fine & they are monitoring me. I do not have the bloating problem you mentioned. The pain is more pronounced when I sneeze, cough or have a hearty laugh. It is also sensitive to the touch. I guess I will have to learn to live with it. Or it may go away in time. The doctors also tell me it could be due to a scar tissue or a nerve issue at the incision area. It sure is a much better deal than being 6ft under. There are lots of transplant patients complaining about right side pain of differing proportions. I recommend that you search for "right side pain" in this forum & you may find lots of discussions as this is quite a mature discussion forum. These days I worry more about the persistently elevated liver enzymes than the pain. I don't feel that in a much worrisome position. All kinds of things happen in the first year & gradually they go away. Look down & see at your incisions. You are nearly cut into two halves. Just give it time but you make sure that your coordinators or transplant team are aware of it at every turn. Especially if it has a tendency to progress. Keep the Faith.

@jamesduaiswamy

Hi

Ibuprofen is not recommended for post-liver transplant patients.
Tylenol is the go-to medication.
During your consultation, please obtain a list of all approved medications/food, etc.

All the best.

Jump to this post

Yes, Tylenol is one of the recommended pain medications but not more than 2000 mg in 24 hours, and that not everyday.
Tylenol in large dosage over a long period is a liver killer.

@rgb3547

I've had upper right side pain since the third month after transplant. I am 17 months post transplant. After much complaint I had at different times 2 MRIs & 2 Liver biopsies, the last one being about 5 months ago. In addition I have quite elevated liver enzymes, Alk Phos & GGT.
My doctors tell me that I am fine & they are monitoring me. I do not have the bloating problem you mentioned. The pain is more pronounced when I sneeze, cough or have a hearty laugh. It is also sensitive to the touch. I guess I will have to learn to live with it. Or it may go away in time. The doctors also tell me it could be due to a scar tissue or a nerve issue at the incision area. It sure is a much better deal than being 6ft under. There are lots of transplant patients complaining about right side pain of differing proportions. I recommend that you search for "right side pain" in this forum & you may find lots of discussions as this is quite a mature discussion forum. These days I worry more about the persistently elevated liver enzymes than the pain. I don't feel that in a much worrisome position. All kinds of things happen in the first year & gradually they go away. Look down & see at your incisions. You are nearly cut into two halves. Just give it time but you make sure that your coordinators or transplant team are aware of it at every turn. Especially if it has a tendency to progress. Keep the Faith.

Jump to this post

Thank yo so much for taking the time to reply. Very informative.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.