Liver transplant - Let's support each other

Posted by lmctif @lmctif, Oct 29, 2018

What topics do people who are waiting for a liver transplant want to talk about? Who has had a liver transplant and wants to talk about?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Transplants Support Group.

@markslivertransplant

Mine took 7 days, 1 week plus 2 days the next week.

Then I had a million things to accomplish before it went before the Mayo Jax board. This whole process took close to 4 months. I almost got put on the list during ICU stay but got better and got deferred for counseling. I've completed everything and got a phone call this morning 6/26/23 that my file was going back to committee this Wednesday and likely will be approved.

Jump to this post

@markslivertransplant, I don't remember whether or not I extended a 'Welcome to Connect' to you. I had my liver and kidney transplant at Mayo Rochester in 2009, and I can still remember the anxiety as waited to hear that I was eligible to receive a liver and kidney transplant.
I am thinking of you, and I hope that you will soon get the message that you are looking forward to. Please send an update, and know that I am here and available to help you with any questions you might have.

Hello! I'm trying to help my father decide if we want to select Mayo Clinic - AZ as his transplant waitlist location. We would appreciate any and all feedback regarding the recovery housing that the hospital provides patients and their caregiver, as he would be an out-of-state patient. Is the Arizona Transplant House the only option? Has anyone been put into a hotel? I'm trying to find out if they would provide a small kitchen situation and if the area is safe/pleasant (and any other pertinent info you'd like to add), since it would be approx 8 weeks recovery time. Thank you for any help you could provide!

@afternoonnaps

Hello! I'm trying to help my father decide if we want to select Mayo Clinic - AZ as his transplant waitlist location. We would appreciate any and all feedback regarding the recovery housing that the hospital provides patients and their caregiver, as he would be an out-of-state patient. Is the Arizona Transplant House the only option? Has anyone been put into a hotel? I'm trying to find out if they would provide a small kitchen situation and if the area is safe/pleasant (and any other pertinent info you'd like to add), since it would be approx 8 weeks recovery time. Thank you for any help you could provide!

Jump to this post

@afternoonnaps, Welcome to Connect. I want to connect you with some members who have had experience with transplant at Mayo Arizona. I had my transplant at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester MN. Like your dad, I was an out of state patient. My husband and I stayed at the Transplant House in Rochester MN and it was the best choice we could have made.

I want to invite - @ajdo129, @klm3, @amyintucson, @emilyw, @danab, to this discussion because they are familiar with the Arizona Campus where they receiver their own transplants.
While waiting for someone to respond, here are some links that you might want to look at.

- Gabriel House of Care
https://gabrielhouseofcare.org/
-
- Liver Transplant Program
https://www.mayoclinic.org/departments-centers/liver-transplant/sections/overview/ovc-20212010
-
@afternoonnaps, If you have any questions related to the transplant process, let me know.

@rosemarya

@afternoonnaps, Welcome to Connect. I want to connect you with some members who have had experience with transplant at Mayo Arizona. I had my transplant at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester MN. Like your dad, I was an out of state patient. My husband and I stayed at the Transplant House in Rochester MN and it was the best choice we could have made.

I want to invite - @ajdo129, @klm3, @amyintucson, @emilyw, @danab, to this discussion because they are familiar with the Arizona Campus where they receiver their own transplants.
While waiting for someone to respond, here are some links that you might want to look at.

- Gabriel House of Care
https://gabrielhouseofcare.org/
-
- Liver Transplant Program
https://www.mayoclinic.org/departments-centers/liver-transplant/sections/overview/ovc-20212010
-
@afternoonnaps, If you have any questions related to the transplant process, let me know.

Jump to this post

Hi afternoonnaps. The area is very safe. From Mayo Clinic and its inexpensive housing at the Village at Mayo on Mayo Blvd near 56th st. to lots of apartments and residence hotels all on Mayo Blvd by Scottsdale Rd. Then on 56th strett Deer Valley has more apartment lodging and a massive outdoor shopping center that is cornered by Tatum ans Deer Valley. I lived in this rectangle of lidging and services from December (Residence Inn Desert View next to Mayo Clinic) and from end of January to the end of May at Montreux apartments at the corner of 56th and Deer Valley. I didn't take advantage of the inexpensive Mayo Village because I knew my cousin who was my primary caregiver would not like the living situation. Also I had two pups that I wanted by me for the 4 months until the transplant.
There are lots of restaurants and Whole Foods on Mayo Blvd and Albertson's grocery store on Deer Valley. Both parallel streets have shops and large movie theaters.
My "bubble" was Mayo to 56th to Deer Valley to Tatum and occasionally to Scottsdale Rd and Mayo Blvd. And all was very safe and convenient.
The Mayo social worker has a list of places you can stay. I recommend that if you want yo stay at the Village at Mayo thet you should get on their wait list now. The turn around is fast enough if you are in the queue.
Hope this helps, Barbara aka ajdo129

@afternoonnaps

Jump to this post

Hello - I'll answer the questions I can and hope it helps. Mayo AZ is in a safe affluent neighborhood. Mayo does offer some options to stay on campus or near by but you may want to look into an Air BnB or VRBO for lodging. There are plenty of lyft or uber options as well as meal and grocery delivery services. Depending on where he lives - it may not be the best option location wise because you have to be nearby to go to the hospital for a deceased donor (I forget - its like 4 hours or so). Quality wise it is ranked the best in AZ.

Now to what I should have started with - If your father insurance covers mayo transplant and hospital services. Double check with his insurance and see what options you'll have. Mayo may not be covered but an adequate hospital in his location may be. This link can help https://www.srtr.org/transplant-centers/?organ=liver looking into transplant centers - you may have to copy and paste.
Remember to double check for hospital and liver transplant services - I am personally going through this and actually have to get a second insurance that covers the transplant part.

Best of luck and I wish you and your father well.

Hello everyone,

'Thank you for letting me join the group. I am a 4 month liver transplant recipient . I'm searching for opinions and feedback on certain side effects. At this time I am having pain on my upper right side and my stomach area has a hard bloating effect which is uncomfortable and worrisome. If anyone has had similar symptoms, please reply. My next appointment for labs is this coming Monday and I also have an appointment with my liver team on Wednesday.

Thank you.

@sg3

Hello everyone,

'Thank you for letting me join the group. I am a 4 month liver transplant recipient . I'm searching for opinions and feedback on certain side effects. At this time I am having pain on my upper right side and my stomach area has a hard bloating effect which is uncomfortable and worrisome. If anyone has had similar symptoms, please reply. My next appointment for labs is this coming Monday and I also have an appointment with my liver team on Wednesday.

Thank you.

Jump to this post

Good Morning, @sg3, and Welcome to Connect! Please accept my congratulations on your recovery and your almost 4 month check-up for your liver transplant.
My transplant was 14 years ago, and I had my share of questions, too, especially in the beginning months and years. If you are running a fever, it could be an infection that needs to be treated right away with antibiotics. Your ER doctor can check with your transplant Hospital Liver department about an appropriate medication.
----
@sg3, I don't recall having the symptoms that you are experiencing. It could be a simple case of constipation, a reaction to being overly active or something more serious. My problematic re-occurring symptoms were an elevated temperature with shivering which came on suddenly. I don't know why these things always act up on the weekend, bit that is what I have experienced, and I have made many late night and early weekend morning trips to my local ER where I am always treated like a VIP when I say that I am a transplant recipient.
If you are uncomfortable with waiting until your appointment on Wednesday, why don't you give them a call tomorrow? They might want to see you earlier or suggest a possible solution to make you comfortable in the meantime.

Someday, after your appointment, I want to hear about the guitars that are in the background!

@rosemarya

Good Morning, @sg3, and Welcome to Connect! Please accept my congratulations on your recovery and your almost 4 month check-up for your liver transplant.
My transplant was 14 years ago, and I had my share of questions, too, especially in the beginning months and years. If you are running a fever, it could be an infection that needs to be treated right away with antibiotics. Your ER doctor can check with your transplant Hospital Liver department about an appropriate medication.
----
@sg3, I don't recall having the symptoms that you are experiencing. It could be a simple case of constipation, a reaction to being overly active or something more serious. My problematic re-occurring symptoms were an elevated temperature with shivering which came on suddenly. I don't know why these things always act up on the weekend, bit that is what I have experienced, and I have made many late night and early weekend morning trips to my local ER where I am always treated like a VIP when I say that I am a transplant recipient.
If you are uncomfortable with waiting until your appointment on Wednesday, why don't you give them a call tomorrow? They might want to see you earlier or suggest a possible solution to make you comfortable in the meantime.

Someday, after your appointment, I want to hear about the guitars that are in the background!

Jump to this post

Thank you so much for your reply. Yes, I am planning on calling my Liver Transplant team tomorrow and updating my labs.

I will reach out and give you update later on in the week.

Thank you for your input.

Good morning from Canada . Congratulations on your recent transplant. I had my liver transplant in October 2020. I don't mean to alarm you but you need to contact your transplant nurse and primary care giver. You may be experiencing a bile duct leak and that is a life threatening occurrence. If it is it can be taken care of in a hospital situation. It will require surgery. I will keep you in my prayers. Let us know how you make out.
🙏🤗

Please sign in or register to post a reply.