Let’s Go Walking! Join me for a virtual walking support group

Posted by Becky, Volunteer Mentor @becsbuddy, Feb 19, 2020

Many of you living with cancer or an autoimmune disease, like me, deal with daily fatigue. You know that exercise is so important to your health, but it’s so hard. There’s always an excuse: it’s too cold or hot, it’s going to rain or it’s raining, or it’s snowy and icy, or I just don’t want to. I, too, have all these excuses, but I have a new rescue dog who wants to go out and who doesn’t care about my excuses! And I’ve got traction devices for my boots.Now I just need a walking group who will keep me accountable. People who say, ‘let’s go for a walk.'

And I thought: What about my virtual friends on MayoClinicConnect?

Mayo Clinic has an easy 12-week walking program to get us started! Here’s the link:
- Get walking with this 12-week walking schedule https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/get-walking-with-this-12-week-walking-schedule/

So let’s form a virtual walking group. We can agree to walk every day and encourage each other through Connect. We can walk outdoors, in a mall, or in the red center, or in the hallways of our apartment building.

Who’s in? Who’s going to join me?

Come on, Let’s Go Walking!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@becsbuddy

@moi2558 Sounds like you have come up with a wonderful alternative! Do you feel like you have good balance using the trampoline?

Jump to this post

Balance is progressive. We all have our off days. & that's all right. No one be on go all the time. It doesn't mean we a loser, or we have to start over. Start from where your last step was no matter when it was taken. Don't carry the wasted weight of guilt & demand you climb Mount Everest as well. We need to be kind to ourselves, forgiving. Sometimes we're able to get back up on our own & step out again. But sometimes, we just can't. Maybe you just feel lousy. Maybe it's a memory day that you need to give yourself time to get through. Maybe you ate cheesecake ice cream & feel like a failure. Whatever it may be, we don't need help beating ourselves up. Life's events do that enough as it is, & there's far too many ads that want us to self judge that we are good enough for whatever reason they are selling. I'm not saying it is easy to get up or making light of a person's down time. I have plenty of my own. I don't like them either. & sometimes I just get plain ole stuck. We all do. I'm saying it's all right. I'm saying that to myself, I'm saying that to each of us. It's hard when we get blindsided. It can take years. I know. But one day I said to myself, it's all right. I have a right to be tired, to have heartache, to be tired of meds. It's all right to say no. Then one day I bought a composition book & pen in my daughter's favorite color purple, & rather than a diary of downs, I started writing about any positive thing I saw. Children laughing, my service dog's smile as she ran, a houseplant bloom, hearing an oldie song from a truck next to me at a red light, a squirrel, hearing an owl in the dark, seeing a young soldier & an old VET..there is so much heart lifting things around us. We've just been trained to see the negatives easier. We can unlearn that. Look, listen for just one thing that touches your heart. A memory that causes you to smile, that bluejay while you were walking, the cool colors of your sneakers, your breath, reaching a stop sign, they are endless out there. How many treasures can you find just today? Before you realize it, you'll be looking & listening without thinking about it. What did you hear that made you smile today? How many times did you see your favorite color? Try smiling at a stranger in a store. Your smile may have reached them just when they needed it. Now you're someone else's heart lifting memory.

@becsbuddy

@jaglover10 Welcome! It’s never too late to join us! I put in the link for Mayo Clinic’s 12-week walking plan if you need a start.
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/comment/773497/
You can walk, run, or do aerobics, or whatever works for you, just get outside! Maybe report on what you see when you go walking. If you're in a warm, sunny location, be sure to tell us snow- bound folks how nice it is! We got 5” of snow last night, but now the sun is out and it’s gorgeous! (But that’s because I don’t have to go out in it ;- )
Let the group know of your progress

Jump to this post

Thanks for the warm welcome and so glad I haven’t missed the boat.

I’m starting the 12 week walking program tomorrow, despite the weather. I’ll let you know how it goes.

I’m in the foothills of the Sacramento Mountains in beautiful southern New Mexico and it’s currently raining. I don’t remember ever experiencing rain here before. It will probably be beautiful sunny and warm tomorrow. My friends back in Anchorage Alaska, where we are based (snowbirds since 2021), have complained of unprecedented cold for this time of year and lots of snow. Very grateful we aren’t shoveling the driveway this year. A little bit of rain is a small price to pay.

Best wishes. Julie-Ann 😊

@alive

Our last dog was a standard poodle. We loved him so much, but this time we are getting a small dog. I want to be able to fly with her when I visit my daughter in Minnesota.

Sorry to hear about your cat allergies. I have a sister who is allergic to all furry animals. It’s tough being an animal lover and be allergic to them.

Jump to this post

@alive -- I loved my standard poodle -- best dog ever!!! Sooo smart and sweet! A real Lassie type dog. Like your sister, I am the world's biggest animal lover and allergic to all things furry except hypoallergenic dogs thankfully! It's heartbreaking -- look but don't touch. For those allergic, there are quite a few dog breeds that are hypoallergenic. I've had three poodles and two schnauzers and I did fine with all of them - all non-shedding. Can't be around shedding dogs. My cat and horse allergies are the worst. Can't get near them. I hope all you allergic animal lovers can find a hypoallergenic dog to love! Purebred is best for you so no hidden dander issues.

@starko

I totally LOVE Beau Geste! I have had standard poodles all my life, my last ones were sisters from Australia, Poochini & Martini. They added so much happiness and love to my life! You cannot find smarter, more obedient, loving animals than standard poodles. And, they do not shed!

Jump to this post

I agree! Standard poodles are the best!!! My best dog ever! I later had two 25 pound poodles (standard/miniature mix) and they were really healthy, but both very quirky. I would only get a standard again. They would make a great service dog. So smart and attentive.

@ess77

I understand completely, Laurie. That can be a work-out some days. I really miss my puppy, Sophia. She went to puppy heaven last year.12 years with her sleeping , walking, talking with me. I miss her meeting me at the front door with her wagging rear end and smile on her face. She was a white mid-sized poodle mix...'pic-a-poo-pom'. As the vet said, she was 90% poodle, that one gene beats out the others, and her poodle gene was strong. The only thing was her snout...not as long and thin as a full poodle. But, she was a dream friend for me.

I don't need another dog to have to walk on schedules, but surely do want one. I miss the walks, except in mid-late summer and rain. So, I have a precious cat, Samantha. She loves to spend time on the patio and sun, watch the birds and squirrels and whatever....chases lizards and has fun.

I planted a few sprigs of stone rope in front of my condo, filling in some of the spaces in the larger ones I planted. Got the sprigs from my neighbor's lawn. His are spreading into the lawn, so I'm helping him by pulling and using at my place.

Lauri, take is slowly and eat some yogurt. Helps my digestive everything more than anything.
Blessings, elizabeth

Jump to this post

I just lost my last dog (walking buddy) right after Christmas. She was a 25 pound poodle and just two weeks shy of her 18th birthday. Everyone loved her poodle prance and bounce. I really miss having a dog to walk. It's just not the same without one. That's 3 dogs I've lost in 3 years, but the other two were 16 so they all lived good long lives. I miss my miniature schnauzer the most. She wasn't good on the leash, but my favorite in the house. She was the sweetest, funniest, cuddlebug. She followed me around all day to help with whatever I was doing. Personality plus! For Christmas, my son had a replica stuffed animal made to look like her and it fools so many visitors. Sometimes I set it in the middle of the room before a visitor comes and it takes them awhile to figure out it's not moving. It even stopped my poodle in her tracks when she saw it. Checked it out every day for a couple weeks just to be sure. It's pretty funny.

@californiazebra
How about some ducks?

I’m curious about your username. Would you mind explaining its meaning?

Jake

Hi Jake! Sure I'll explain. California because that's where I live. Zebra is because people with rare disorders are considered zebras. I'm sure we have lots on this message board. The zebra has become the official symbol of rare disorders in the US. There are nearly 7,000 rare diseases. I have a few rare disorders:

1. Lung NETs (neuroendocrine cancer) - the cancer ribbon for this is even black and white zebra stripes
2. DIPNECH (only a couple hundred documented cases although they believe is it underdiagnosed)
3. Hereditary Neuropathy with Pressure Palsies (HNPP)

I also have the BRCA2 and CHEK2 genetic mutations that led to breast cancer. Although breast cancer is common, the mutations less so. I've always had a lot of unusual disorders that throw doctors for a loop. I like to think I'm special. 🙂

The zebra is a lovely symbol that is beautiful and brings joy! I like it! Thanks for asking. 🙂

Will the real Skittles please stand up! The real Skittles (love of my life) is on the left. On the right is a stuffed animal my son had made for me for Christmas after Skittles (16) passed and I missed her so much. No, it's not taxidermy, but it sure looks real! 20 pound mini-schnauzer. The real Skittles had long dark eyelashes. They missed that feature.

I love my walking and walked 11 miles this weekend. I just love it.

I became a walker during the pandemic. I lost my mother to COVID and began walking shortly after that. Also, had a tumor removed and a year later, and then in 2022, I was diagnosed with kidney cancer.

I cannot say how much walking has been good for me. It has become a mental health and spiritual practice!

Cindy

@cindysummit

I love my walking and walked 11 miles this weekend. I just love it.

I became a walker during the pandemic. I lost my mother to COVID and began walking shortly after that. Also, had a tumor removed and a year later, and then in 2022, I was diagnosed with kidney cancer.

I cannot say how much walking has been good for me. It has become a mental health and spiritual practice!

Cindy

Jump to this post

@cindysummit. Wow, I love your response! That’s how I feel, too. When we first started this group, we had lots of people walking but I guess things just got in the way. I think we need to get moving again! Are you with me?

Please sign in or register to post a reply.