Let’s Go Walking! Join me for a virtual walking support group

Posted by Becky, Volunteer Mentor @becsbuddy, Feb 19, 2020

Many of you living with cancer or an autoimmune disease, like me, deal with daily fatigue. You know that exercise is so important to your health, but it’s so hard. There’s always an excuse: it’s too cold or hot, it’s going to rain or it’s raining, or it’s snowy and icy, or I just don’t want to. I, too, have all these excuses, but I have a new rescue dog who wants to go out and who doesn’t care about my excuses! And I’ve got traction devices for my boots.Now I just need a walking group who will keep me accountable. People who say, ‘let’s go for a walk.'

And I thought: What about my virtual friends on MayoClinicConnect?

Mayo Clinic has an easy 12-week walking program to get us started! Here’s the link:
- Get walking with this 12-week walking schedule https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/get-walking-with-this-12-week-walking-schedule/

So let’s form a virtual walking group. We can agree to walk every day and encourage each other through Connect. We can walk outdoors, in a mall, or in the red center, or in the hallways of our apartment building.

Who’s in? Who’s going to join me?

Come on, Let’s Go Walking!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@imallears

@jakedduck1
I am going to use you to see if this post works ...I know you are dying to know what we ate this weekend....I will post under Healthy Living....and @Erinmfs...did you ever resolve the email question. If not....search for the group you want to follow and there are 3 dots in the bottom right hand corner that give you the option to receive emails for that particular group. Once you are following and decide not to receive any more emails...click on the 3 dots again to stop the emails.
I am doing this on my desk top....my Ipad works ok too but have not tried anything on my samsung galaxy yet. Well get use to it and, like anything new, there will be glitches.

FL Mary

Jump to this post

@imallears
i didn’t get an email yet from any of the topics I chose but a banner went across my phone while looking at another website but I got it.
i’ll see if I can find it. i can just imagine what you all had. Did it stay down?
“Well get use to it and, like anything new, there will be glitches.”
Yeah, I suppose.
Speaking of glitches, oh maybe I better not go there.
I’m off to hunt what you you ate but I have to prepare myself first.
Take care,
Jake

@jakedduck1

@imallears
i didn’t get an email yet from any of the topics I chose but a banner went across my phone while looking at another website but I got it.
i’ll see if I can find it. i can just imagine what you all had. Did it stay down?
“Well get use to it and, like anything new, there will be glitches.”
Yeah, I suppose.
Speaking of glitches, oh maybe I better not go there.
I’m off to hunt what you you ate but I have to prepare myself first.
Take care,
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 and @imallears and Erinmfs I’m back! And walking! Did you have a nice, sunny, warm day? I was springy here today but will be cold by Tuesday. I haven’t gotten my long walks in—had to buy new sneakers. Ones that don’t talk to me! I’m liking the new Connect format, how about you?

@becsbuddy What no talking sneakers .ol Me neither Going for small walk still learning this format Since now have stenosis trying to get this in better shape doing P.T hoping it will help Enjoy your walking

Hey, everyone, it’s another great day for walking! @lioness and @fiesty76 and @artist01 and @jude07 and @judyhodgern and @wisco50 Have you tried the new Connect? It’s great! I know some of you may not have gotten your Daily Digest, but IT is working on it. Try it, you’ll like it!
Now that the weather is getting better, do you have any special plans for where you’d like to walk? I’d like to go to the botanical gardens, how about you?

@becsbuddy

Hey, everyone, it’s another great day for walking! @lioness and @fiesty76 and @artist01 and @jude07 and @judyhodgern and @wisco50 Have you tried the new Connect? It’s great! I know some of you may not have gotten your Daily Digest, but IT is working on it. Try it, you’ll like it!
Now that the weather is getting better, do you have any special plans for where you’d like to walk? I’d like to go to the botanical gardens, how about you?

Jump to this post

I haven’t tried the new Connect yet. My walking is limited until I get my stitches and boot/shoe off this Wednesday. Can’t wait, I miss that peaceful get away time to walk, think, talk and just feel good about life in general. All is good, I am just not a person who can sit long, so I have walked up and down my street, puttered in my flower beds out front a little. The neighbors are out more now that the weather is nice so I’ve enjoyed some healthy conversations. Keep walking and smiling, life is as good as we make it!

@becsbuddy

Jump to this post

@becsbuddy Hi Becky.
What's this about the new Connect? I've been sickish, and away.
X0 Laurie

@becsbuddy

@jakedduck1 and @imallears and Erinmfs I’m back! And walking! Did you have a nice, sunny, warm day? I was springy here today but will be cold by Tuesday. I haven’t gotten my long walks in—had to buy new sneakers. Ones that don’t talk to me! I’m liking the new Connect format, how about you?

Jump to this post

@becsbuddy
I need to get back to my walking more regularly. I'd like a pair of those talking shoes if they won't laugh at me. I think they would be a good motivator. Now I use my iPhone to keep track of how far I walk but I sell them put it in my pocket so it doesn’t do me any good. The shoes will solve that problem.
Happy trails,
Jake

@artist01

@becsbuddy Hi Becky.
X0 Laurie

Jump to this post

Hi Laurie,
Learn more about the new features on Mayo Clinic Connect by following this blog
- About Connect: Who, What & Why https://connect.mayoclinic.org/blog/about-connect/

See the last 3 blog posts. With more to come to walk everyone through all the upgrades.

@colleenyoung

Hi Laurie,
Learn more about the new features on Mayo Clinic Connect by following this blog
- About Connect: Who, What & Why https://connect.mayoclinic.org/blog/about-connect/

See the last 3 blog posts. With more to come to walk everyone through all the upgrades.

Jump to this post

@colleenyoung Thankyou very much, Colleen. I'll look for the New Look!
Laur

@artist01

@becsbuddy Hi Becky.
X0 Laurie

Jump to this post

I know...very challenging to learn the new protocol. Hope you’re figuring it out😊

Please sign in or register to post a reply.