Let’s Go Walking! Join me for a virtual walking support group

Posted by Becky, Volunteer Mentor @becsbuddy, Feb 19, 2020

Many of you living with cancer or an autoimmune disease, like me, deal with daily fatigue. You know that exercise is so important to your health, but it’s so hard. There’s always an excuse: it’s too cold or hot, it’s going to rain or it’s raining, or it’s snowy and icy, or I just don’t want to. I, too, have all these excuses, but I have a new rescue dog who wants to go out and who doesn’t care about my excuses! And I’ve got traction devices for my boots.Now I just need a walking group who will keep me accountable. People who say, ‘let’s go for a walk.'

And I thought: What about my virtual friends on MayoClinicConnect?

Mayo Clinic has an easy 12-week walking program to get us started! Here’s the link:
- Get walking with this 12-week walking schedule https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/get-walking-with-this-12-week-walking-schedule/

So let’s form a virtual walking group. We can agree to walk every day and encourage each other through Connect. We can walk outdoors, in a mall, or in the red center, or in the hallways of our apartment building.

Who’s in? Who’s going to join me?

Come on, Let’s Go Walking!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@jude07

You have been through a lot and yet you inspire others to keep going “one step at a time”. Keep it up!!

Jump to this post

Thankyou so much. Your kind words keep me motivated!

@jakedduck1, @artist01 You go, Leonard!! How far is it to your jr high? I’d like to joke it’s 5 miles, up hill both ways. LOL.
Let’s see how many people @artist01 will inspire to walk along today! Baby steps!!

@loribmt

@artist01 Yessss!!! ! I’m doing a happy dance for you! It’s wonderful you took the first steps yesterday to get out walking. Sometimes all it takes is that first initiative to propel yourself forward from now on! I can ‘hear’ it in your voice, the sense of pride you’re feeling for having accomplished that first lap, even halfway around the building! Each day you can build on that and the elation it brings is such a reward. It doesn’t take long at all for walking to become a daily habit, one you’ll miss or feel guilty about if you skip a day!

I mentioned this in another thread, but for days I can’t get outside to walk, I walk in my house. I make a circuit through all the rooms, go up and down my stairs. I set a timer and walk for a specific amount of time. Is there an area inside your senior residence building where there are hallways to walk? Is there an exercise room with a treadmill or other equipment? It’s not the Canadian Rockies but still an enjoyable challenge to get moving. Could you find a fellow friend or two to join you? It’s amazing what walking can do for our health and psyche! I’m excited for you and can’t wait to hear your progress! Today IS the first day of the rest of your life! Lori.

Jump to this post

Thankyou so much for your wonderful post, Lori. And yes, we do have hallways here that I could/should walk, but....! And my suite is too small to do any kind of circuit. I'm really good at excuses, aren't I? I'm determined to get outside, rain or shine, though, and we'll see how I do. Living in Canada, the winters can be challenging for walking, but I'm determined to make a go of it. And Spring is coming! Also, I have a doctor on my case who wants to hear all about my walking. I never should have divulged my plan to her! Lol
Thanks again for your encouragement.
Laurie

@jakedduck1

@artist01
CONGRATULATIONS on your accomplishment.
Now you have me inspired. I think I’ll try to walk to where I went to junior high. No big deal as a kid, not so sure now.
Jake

Jump to this post

Hi Leonard@jakedduck1. It delights me no end that I've inspired you to get out there and walk! Bravo, and good luck in reaching your goal. Remember, it doesn't have to be accomplished in the first try! Warmest wishes, Laurie

@artist01

Because I see your heading "Let's Go Walking" every day when I connect with Mayo Clinic Connect, it's been percolating in my subconscious. Yes, I need to get walking. I haven't been able to for months now, but have gradually improved to the point where I knew I should make an effort to be more active. I've had two blood clots recently, within a month of each other, and I know it's imperative that I get moving.
Yesterday was a fine day here, so this was The Day. Because I live in a seniors' residence and we are in lockdown due to Covid, we're only permitted to walk around the perimeter of our building, on our own property. That was good enough for me. Less of a First Time challenge.
I only walked halfway around the building, for a total of eight minutes, but I DID IT!
Today, I'll go a bit further, and the next day, a bit further than that. I'm feeling like a little kid - so proud of myself for this tiny accomplishment, but I have multiple health issues, including Giant Cell Arteritis, Diabetes, GI problems, 2 small strokes, a recent TIA, etc, etc. so lots of concerns. I know walking is going to help. I was always a hiker and loved hiking up the mountain trails in the beautiful Canadian Rockies when I lived in Alberta. One of my favorite sayings throughout my 85 years is, "Today is the first day of the rest of my life"!

Jump to this post

@artist01 Yeaaah, you! I bet that sense of accomplishment stayed with you all day, after that walk. Don't be hard on yourself saying "why didn't I do this before today", okay?

You are inspiring me to get out and do something today. My husband will be happy that it is helping him move firewood. I see some bulbs already poking their heads up through the cold soil, so I can start thinking about garden stuff soon. We have many projects to do around here.
Ginger

@gingerw

@artist01 Yeaaah, you! I bet that sense of accomplishment stayed with you all day, after that walk. Don't be hard on yourself saying "why didn't I do this before today", okay?

You are inspiring me to get out and do something today. My husband will be happy that it is helping him move firewood. I see some bulbs already poking their heads up through the cold soil, so I can start thinking about garden stuff soon. We have many projects to do around here.
Ginger

Jump to this post

Thanks so much for your reply, Ginger! Moving firewood is an excellent exercise! Been there, done that. Lol
And your husband will be SO happy for the help and your company. Happy husband, happy life! X0 Laurie

@artist01

Thankyou so much for your wonderful post, Lori. And yes, we do have hallways here that I could/should walk, but....! And my suite is too small to do any kind of circuit. I'm really good at excuses, aren't I? I'm determined to get outside, rain or shine, though, and we'll see how I do. Living in Canada, the winters can be challenging for walking, but I'm determined to make a go of it. And Spring is coming! Also, I have a doctor on my case who wants to hear all about my walking. I never should have divulged my plan to her! Lol
Thanks again for your encouragement.
Laurie

Jump to this post

@artist01 Laurie, I chuckled a little with your comment about divulging your plan to your doctor. Now the pressure is on! But in truth, she’ll be delighted to hear your progress. Doctors need rewards too.
Be careful out there walking in the Canadian winter! Do you have some good walking grippers for your boots? I mentioned in another post about Yaktrax or similar for easier walking on snow and ice. Do you have someone to walk with you on your outdoor adventures? Though I imagine the walks are kept pretty cleared in your Senior living center. Where I am, we just received a new 8 inches of snow today!! My inner child is calling me to go outside! Take care but you keep right on going!! Lori.

@loribmt

@jakedduck1, @artist01 You go, Leonard!! How far is it to your jr high? I’d like to joke it’s 5 miles, up hill both ways. LOL.
Let’s see how many people @artist01 will inspire to walk along today! Baby steps!!

Jump to this post

@loribmt
I’m going to drive around my intended route first and see exactly how far it is, but it’s probably like what our parents did when they had to walk somewhere. 20 miles in a -50 degree blizzard in 10 foot deep snow zero visibility without shoes or a coat and without breakfast and had to milk the cows, slop the hogs, chop some wood, bring in the crops, paint the barn & on & on & on. I doubt any of them ever actually made it to school. I’m even more surprised any of those people lived to have kids to tell how hard they had it.
Take care Lori,
Jake

@becsbuddy

Hey, ladies, we’re supposed to talk about exercises! I know gardening is exercise, but looking isn’t! I couldn’t go walking today because it was slippery so I did my exercises from YouTube. Go to YouTube and search for Jenny McClendon. She does a whole series for Fit Over 50. She’s really good. I can only do 20minutes, but, it’s exercise!

Jump to this post

Hi all, I love talking gardens and can't wait for spring. Feel free to join the gardeners over here:
- Let's Talk about Gardens https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/lets-talk-about-gardens/

Now it's time for me to get out into today's glorious sunshine to capture some vitamin D, fresh air and steps.

@loribmt

@artist01 Laurie, I chuckled a little with your comment about divulging your plan to your doctor. Now the pressure is on! But in truth, she’ll be delighted to hear your progress. Doctors need rewards too.
Be careful out there walking in the Canadian winter! Do you have some good walking grippers for your boots? I mentioned in another post about Yaktrax or similar for easier walking on snow and ice. Do you have someone to walk with you on your outdoor adventures? Though I imagine the walks are kept pretty cleared in your Senior living center. Where I am, we just received a new 8 inches of snow today!! My inner child is calling me to go outside! Take care but you keep right on going!! Lori.

Jump to this post

I say, let out that inner child!
Yesterday I was trying to imagine ice skating again. Then came to my senses when I realized how stiff and hard skates are, I am sure my feet would be shouting at me to STOP before I even started. Then I thought perhaps I should invent a pair of wool boot skates with ankles that are more firm for people like me. Who will invest, LOL!!!

Please sign in or register to post a reply.