Let’s Go Walking! Join me for a virtual walking support group

Posted by Becky, Volunteer Mentor @becsbuddy, Feb 19, 2020

Many of you living with cancer or an autoimmune disease, like me, deal with daily fatigue. You know that exercise is so important to your health, but it’s so hard. There’s always an excuse: it’s too cold or hot, it’s going to rain or it’s raining, or it’s snowy and icy, or I just don’t want to. I, too, have all these excuses, but I have a new rescue dog who wants to go out and who doesn’t care about my excuses! And I’ve got traction devices for my boots.Now I just need a walking group who will keep me accountable. People who say, ‘let’s go for a walk.'

And I thought: What about my virtual friends on MayoClinicConnect?

Mayo Clinic has an easy 12-week walking program to get us started! Here’s the link:
- Get walking with this 12-week walking schedule https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/get-walking-with-this-12-week-walking-schedule/

So let’s form a virtual walking group. We can agree to walk every day and encourage each other through Connect. We can walk outdoors, in a mall, or in the red center, or in the hallways of our apartment building.

Who’s in? Who’s going to join me?

Come on, Let’s Go Walking!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@Erinmfs

you're lucky, I haven't been able to walk the past few weeks, too much deep snow and ice to maneuver, it's scarey out there! More snow on the way today

Jump to this post

@Erinmfs I’m sure you’re starting to get a little cabin fever with not being able to get outside and walk! Have you tried any of the really great cleats available for boots? I have several pair, one in particular looks like some medieval torture apparatus. But keeps me upright!! The other thing I’ve taken to doing on days I can’t get out, even in the summer when it’s too hot. I walk in my house and often read a book on my iPad to pass the time. It felt strange at first and my husband snickered, but I take a circuitous path through all the rooms, up and down the stairs to the lower level or second floor. Setting a timer for 30 - 45 minutes I find I can walk really briskly, get my heart rate up and put on several miles! It may not be out in the fresh air but at least it’s walking to keep muscles, balance and circulation going! Do you have an exercise bike or treadmill at home?

Well, I had a great walk this morning! I had a walking buddy for a change. Sure makes the walk go faster and you go further, too. We got out while it was sunny and warm! Now, the weather is changing and getting colder. We’ve had gorgeous 60 degree days in this normally cold, snowy state.

@becsbuddy

Well, I had a great walk this morning! I had a walking buddy for a change. Sure makes the walk go faster and you go further, too. We got out while it was sunny and warm! Now, the weather is changing and getting colder. We’ve had gorgeous 60 degree days in this normally cold, snowy state.

Jump to this post

Nice that you had a walking Buddy, you are so right about going further and faster. It is 30 today, here, however the wind kicked in when I went to walk after lunch. Oh well, it will dip down into the single digits and minus degree starting on Friday of this week. I decided I won’t give up until I try it a few times.
Enjoying the sunshine!!!

@becsbuddy

Jump to this post

Isn't it great! I had one today too, we ended up climbing the snowplow mountains near the skating rink, climbing trees and playing hide and seek - I'm sure it's keeping me young, but I sure am tired tonight.
Sue

@becsbuddy

Hey, ladies, we’re supposed to talk about exercises! I know gardening is exercise, but looking isn’t! I couldn’t go walking today because it was slippery so I did my exercises from YouTube. Go to YouTube and search for Jenny McClendon. She does a whole series for Fit Over 50. She’s really good. I can only do 20minutes, but, it’s exercise!

Jump to this post

Yes agree walking is our goal with exercise not plants and gardening

Know I’m no in the right category re dry eyes since it is winter my eyes have not been dry as dry n do not need to
Use my drops as much. Have humidifier on my heater so air not dry. Take sdvvsntsge as spring just around the corner

Because I see your heading "Let's Go Walking" every day when I connect with Mayo Clinic Connect, it's been percolating in my subconscious. Yes, I need to get walking. I haven't been able to for months now, but have gradually improved to the point where I knew I should make an effort to be more active. I've had two blood clots recently, within a month of each other, and I know it's imperative that I get moving.
Yesterday was a fine day here, so this was The Day. Because I live in a seniors' residence and we are in lockdown due to Covid, we're only permitted to walk around the perimeter of our building, on our own property. That was good enough for me. Less of a First Time challenge.
I only walked halfway around the building, for a total of eight minutes, but I DID IT!
Today, I'll go a bit further, and the next day, a bit further than that. I'm feeling like a little kid - so proud of myself for this tiny accomplishment, but I have multiple health issues, including Giant Cell Arteritis, Diabetes, GI problems, 2 small strokes, a recent TIA, etc, etc. so lots of concerns. I know walking is going to help. I was always a hiker and loved hiking up the mountain trails in the beautiful Canadian Rockies when I lived in Alberta. One of my favorite sayings throughout my 85 years is, "Today is the first day of the rest of my life"!

@artist01

Because I see your heading "Let's Go Walking" every day when I connect with Mayo Clinic Connect, it's been percolating in my subconscious. Yes, I need to get walking. I haven't been able to for months now, but have gradually improved to the point where I knew I should make an effort to be more active. I've had two blood clots recently, within a month of each other, and I know it's imperative that I get moving.
Yesterday was a fine day here, so this was The Day. Because I live in a seniors' residence and we are in lockdown due to Covid, we're only permitted to walk around the perimeter of our building, on our own property. That was good enough for me. Less of a First Time challenge.
I only walked halfway around the building, for a total of eight minutes, but I DID IT!
Today, I'll go a bit further, and the next day, a bit further than that. I'm feeling like a little kid - so proud of myself for this tiny accomplishment, but I have multiple health issues, including Giant Cell Arteritis, Diabetes, GI problems, 2 small strokes, a recent TIA, etc, etc. so lots of concerns. I know walking is going to help. I was always a hiker and loved hiking up the mountain trails in the beautiful Canadian Rockies when I lived in Alberta. One of my favorite sayings throughout my 85 years is, "Today is the first day of the rest of my life"!

Jump to this post

You have been through a lot and yet you inspire others to keep going “one step at a time”. Keep it up!!

@artist01

Jump to this post

@artist01 Yessss!!! ! I’m doing a happy dance for you! It’s wonderful you took the first steps yesterday to get out walking. Sometimes all it takes is that first initiative to propel yourself forward from now on! I can ‘hear’ it in your voice, the sense of pride you’re feeling for having accomplished that first lap, even halfway around the building! Each day you can build on that and the elation it brings is such a reward. It doesn’t take long at all for walking to become a daily habit, one you’ll miss or feel guilty about if you skip a day!

I mentioned this in another thread, but for days I can’t get outside to walk, I walk in my house. I make a circuit through all the rooms, go up and down my stairs. I set a timer and walk for a specific amount of time. Is there an area inside your senior residence building where there are hallways to walk? Is there an exercise room with a treadmill or other equipment? It’s not the Canadian Rockies but still an enjoyable challenge to get moving. Could you find a fellow friend or two to join you? It’s amazing what walking can do for our health and psyche! I’m excited for you and can’t wait to hear your progress! Today IS the first day of the rest of your life! Lori.

@artist01

Jump to this post

@artist01
CONGRATULATIONS on your accomplishment.
Now you have me inspired. I think I’ll try to walk to where I went to junior high. No big deal as a kid, not so sure now.
Jake

Please sign in or register to post a reply.