Let’s Go Walking! Join me for a virtual walking support group

Posted by Becky, Volunteer Mentor @becsbuddy, Feb 19, 2020

Many of you living with cancer or an autoimmune disease, like me, deal with daily fatigue. You know that exercise is so important to your health, but it’s so hard. There’s always an excuse: it’s too cold or hot, it’s going to rain or it’s raining, or it’s snowy and icy, or I just don’t want to. I, too, have all these excuses, but I have a new rescue dog who wants to go out and who doesn’t care about my excuses! And I’ve got traction devices for my boots.Now I just need a walking group who will keep me accountable. People who say, ‘let’s go for a walk.'

And I thought: What about my virtual friends on MayoClinicConnect?

Mayo Clinic has an easy 12-week walking program to get us started! Here’s the link:
- Get walking with this 12-week walking schedule https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/get-walking-with-this-12-week-walking-schedule/

So let’s form a virtual walking group. We can agree to walk every day and encourage each other through Connect. We can walk outdoors, in a mall, or in the red center, or in the hallways of our apartment building.

Who’s in? Who’s going to join me?

Come on, Let’s Go Walking!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@mayofeb2020

@jude07. I am praying for the days when I can put on a sweater. It's been scorching again in Southern California. 100° yesterday. We won't see any cooler weather until next week. When I say cooler, I mean 80s. But I did pushed myself out the door at 7:30 this morning. It's already heating up! It gets dark earlier now so can't walk after dinner anymore. Yesterday it was 90 at 5 pm.

Jump to this post

@mayofeb2020, Oops, just realized I responded to @jude07 and you were the orig. poster.

@fiesty76

@sueinmn, Oh, Sue, I am so with you on the cold ! My cold feet insist on socks from Oct - June and I find myself constantly jiggling the thermostat from heat to ac during these transitional days of autumn.

My walks have been radically shortened these past two weeks because of "tip to stern" right side pain...Heating pads, meds and prof. treatments have me yearning for a return to pain free walks. While I've honored my challenge and made the walking effort set for myself, the very abbreviated distances covered are more symbolic than therapuedic sp as far as true exercise.

Although bundled up like a stranded Eskimo ice fishing during winter, I managed to walk last winter. However, several yrs ago, all "dolled up to the gillies" from top to toe with heavy insulation, I so startled our young grand with my black ski face mask, that he yelled, "Mom! There's a robber walking up our driveway!" Poor baby didn't recognize his grammer in disguise. Bright colors might have made the difference....lol

Jump to this post

Fiesty76
So your part time job is a robber with a black ski mask. I know times are hard and many people unemployed, but to be a robber and scaring little kids.
Are you a professional robber, or just one who looks for opportunities?
I have chocolate cookies in the house, I better hide them before you and jake the duck1 grab them, better yet, I’ll put my guard dog in the kitchen.

@funcountess, Welp, guess I have to admit to being just an "opportunity robber" vbg, but just so you know in advance, I'll be bringing kitty Precious with me when I come for a raid on your chocolate cookies...should scare off your guard dog and more cookies for @jakedduck1 and me. Thx for the morning smile!

@fiesty76

@funcountess, Welp, guess I have to admit to being just an "opportunity robber" vbg, but just so you know in advance, I'll be bringing kitty Precious with me when I come for a raid on your chocolate cookies...should scare off your guard dog and more cookies for @jakedduck1 and me. Thx for the morning smile!

Jump to this post

Fiesty76
You have a good sense of humor. I could not resist teasing you. I can only imagine what you looked like all bundled up.
As for the cookies, they are from VONS grocery store in the fresh bakery department.
Are you always cold?
I run on the warm side, and get away with just a sweater, even in winter.
Have always been that way.
Stay well,
Funcountess

@fiesty76

Jump to this post

@fiesty76 That's a long walk just for cookies! Better get started now....
Ginger

@funcountess

Fiesty76
So your part time job is a robber with a black ski mask. I know times are hard and many people unemployed, but to be a robber and scaring little kids.
Are you a professional robber, or just one who looks for opportunities?
I have chocolate cookies in the house, I better hide them before you and jake the duck1 grab them, better yet, I’ll put my guard dog in the kitchen.

Jump to this post

@funcountess
I walked quite a bit yesterday, we went to a couple of gold mining towns. I wanted to go to the railroad museum but more importantly the candy store.
You said ”I have chocolate cookies in the house, I better hide them before you and jake the duck1 grab them, better yet, I’ll put my guard dog in the kitchen.”
As far as hiding them goes I’m sure you realize there’s no place you could hide any of my favorite five food groups where I wouldn’t find them. As your vicious guard dog is concerned I’m convinced that he would much rather enjoy chomping on some nice fresh juicy steaks I’d bring him than chew on my poor old gnarled leather like pathetic carcass. However, before you invite me down for a visit there are some other essentials you'll need to stock up on like candy, candy & more candy, pies, cake (cheesecake is a favorite) but I've never met a cake or pie I didn't like. And an assortment of pastry. Keep walking kids!! Find a candy store, to walk to. It may be miserable walking to but the way you’ll feel walking back will more than make up for it.
keep on pounding the pavement,
Jake

@funcountess

Fiesty76
You have a good sense of humor. I could not resist teasing you. I can only imagine what you looked like all bundled up.
As for the cookies, they are from VONS grocery store in the fresh bakery department.
Are you always cold?
I run on the warm side, and get away with just a sweater, even in winter.
Have always been that way.
Stay well,
Funcountess

Jump to this post

@funcountess, Thank you. When one is as goofy as I am, it is good to laugh often at oneself. When daughter started for her camera for a shot of the bodacious blubber bubble, I threatened her with loss of inheritance....come to think of it, no idea why she didn't go ahead and take a pic...probably just have tuna and toilet paper on hand. Yes, I've always shivered with goose bumps but suggest that it is because I share my "warm heart" and occasional Irish ire with others so there's nothing left for meeself. Used to truly fear daughter would catch pneumonia wearing just a sweater in what felt like January blizzards...her DNA had to have come from her dad or maybe you are a long lost cousin from the paternal side? Smiles?

58 degrees this morning on a little longer walk. Had on socks and warm ups but no gloves or earmuffs....yet! Smiles to all and lets stay well and keep those walks going.

@gingerw

@fiesty76 That's a long walk just for cookies! Better get started now....
Ginger

Jump to this post

Laughing and true, but @gingerw, the woman is talking cookies!!!!! And we don't have a VONS here; responsible parties need to investigate All sources of great cookies, yes?

Fiesty76
Do you have Randells or United supermarkets?
Some of them have fresh bakeries. AsK the baker when he bakes chocolate cookies with chocolate frosting. I’m sure they would be as good as VONS.
THE COOKIES ARE SMALL, but melt in your mouth.
Store bought in rappers are not like fresh baked.

@sueinmn

My struggle these days is to get my b*** out the door to walk! My favorite temps are the 80's & 90's so when the thermometer on the wall says 40 or 45, and the furnace is keeping the house comfy, my walking mojo is just...gone. I have to dig through the basket and find my toasty soft red alpaca hat my daughter made for me & some bright, fuzzy gloves - that should lift my spirits & get me going.
Sue

Jump to this post

@migizii - I am determined to keep walking (therapy for foot fusion surgery) until there is snow that won’t allow it; but I’m so bundled up now, I hope I adjust to these colder temps or I don’t know what I’ll do....waddle for my walks😂😂😂

Please sign in or register to post a reply.