Let’s Go Walking! Join me for a virtual walking support group

Posted by Becky, Volunteer Mentor @becsbuddy, Feb 19, 2020

Many of you living with cancer or an autoimmune disease, like me, deal with daily fatigue. You know that exercise is so important to your health, but it’s so hard. There’s always an excuse: it’s too cold or hot, it’s going to rain or it’s raining, or it’s snowy and icy, or I just don’t want to. I, too, have all these excuses, but I have a new rescue dog who wants to go out and who doesn’t care about my excuses! And I’ve got traction devices for my boots.Now I just need a walking group who will keep me accountable. People who say, ‘let’s go for a walk.'

And I thought: What about my virtual friends on MayoClinicConnect?

Mayo Clinic has an easy 12-week walking program to get us started! Here’s the link:
- Get walking with this 12-week walking schedule https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/get-walking-with-this-12-week-walking-schedule/

So let’s form a virtual walking group. We can agree to walk every day and encourage each other through Connect. We can walk outdoors, in a mall, or in the red center, or in the hallways of our apartment building.

Who’s in? Who’s going to join me?

Come on, Let’s Go Walking!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@migizii
Good evening,
It sounds like you live somewhere that actually has four seasons. That must be nice. Come move to California, you could be my walking inspiration. How far do you walk on an ideal day? I didn't walk today. I was too busy feasting on my new candy.
Happy trekking 🏃,
Jake

@funcountess

Fiesty76
Do you have Randells or United supermarkets?
Some of them have fresh bakeries. AsK the baker when he bakes chocolate cookies with chocolate frosting. I’m sure they would be as good as VONS.
THE COOKIES ARE SMALL, but melt in your mouth.
Store bought in rappers are not like fresh baked.

Jump to this post

@funcountess, No Randells but one baker at our United (Marketstreet) greeted me by name before I started home deliveries due to Covid! vbg

@migizii

@migizii - I am determined to keep walking (therapy for foot fusion surgery) until there is snow that won’t allow it; but I’m so bundled up now, I hope I adjust to these colder temps or I don’t know what I’ll do....waddle for my walks😂😂😂

Jump to this post

@migizii, I appreciate your determination and am laughing at your apt description of how i look when all bundled up as I, too, "waddle for my walks"...great description!!!

@jakedduck1

@migizii
Good evening,
It sounds like you live somewhere that actually has four seasons. That must be nice. Come move to California, you could be my walking inspiration. How far do you walk on an ideal day? I didn't walk today. I was too busy feasting on my new candy.
Happy trekking 🏃,
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1, Glad to hear you have your priorities in order, Leonard!!!

@fiesty76

@jakedduck1, Glad to hear you have your priorities in order, Leonard!!!

Jump to this post

I am thrilled to report that my walks the past 2 days have been in the beautiful north woods of the Minnesota Iron Range, introducing our grandsons to the area where Grandpa was born and raised.

We just left them playing in ore laden dirt, finding magnetic rocks and dirt and watching the Taconic filled monster tricks climb out of the deep pit mine and up to the crusher. Then they get to Daddys family cabin while he works.

I must say traveling in Covid times, wearing masks a lot, with 3 meals in the motel room, with 2 small boys is exhausting. But the joy on their faces at finally being in a new place and seeing new things is totally worth it.

Now home to our quiet boring house.
Sue

@sueinmn

I am thrilled to report that my walks the past 2 days have been in the beautiful north woods of the Minnesota Iron Range, introducing our grandsons to the area where Grandpa was born and raised.

We just left them playing in ore laden dirt, finding magnetic rocks and dirt and watching the Taconic filled monster tricks climb out of the deep pit mine and up to the crusher. Then they get to Daddys family cabin while he works.

I must say traveling in Covid times, wearing masks a lot, with 3 meals in the motel room, with 2 small boys is exhausting. But the joy on their faces at finally being in a new place and seeing new things is totally worth it.

Sue

Jump to this post

What an uplifting adventure you had! How very fortunate you are to have been able to do this with your grandsons. You are a fabulous grandmother! @joybringer1

@sueinmn

Sue

Jump to this post

I wish I were in back in Minnesota

@rivergirl8243

I wish I were in back in Minnesota

Jump to this post

@rivergirl8243 Must be hot on Az. I loved my Pa woods up at our Mt cabin When my son was small we would go looking for salamander under rocks ,dead tree stumps brought several home as well as tadpoles Memories

@lioness

@rivergirl8243 Must be hot on Az. I loved my Pa woods up at our Mt cabin When my son was small we would go looking for salamander under rocks ,dead tree stumps brought several home as well as tadpoles Memories

Jump to this post

Walked 1 mile today, that's really good for me.

@joybringer1

What an uplifting adventure you had! How very fortunate you are to have been able to do this with your grandsons. You are a fabulous grandmother! @joybringer1

Jump to this post

Rivergirl -What was really cool was that during our Thursday grandparent time with the older one, we introduced to magnets and did a lot of fun little experiments. To see the soil and hematite sticking to the magnet from Daddy's toolbox was great. I think Daddy was just as amazed...

This week's "project time" will be used to find the seeds inside cattails and pine cones that we pick on our walk. These are some of my fondest memories with my Grandma, I'm so lucky to be able to continue the tradition. I think I have one of the few grandmas who routinely carried a pocket knife in the 1950's & 60's, so she could dissect plant galls & cut sticks for us. My grandpa taught us to shoot, throw trap pigeons and reload shotgun shells. He also gave me his drafting tools when I was in high school. They knew how to teach as part of play & adventures - which is my fond hope with our little boys.

Sue

Please sign in or register to post a reply.