Let’s Go Walking! Join me for a virtual walking support group

Posted by Becky, Volunteer Mentor @becsbuddy, Feb 19, 2020

Many of you living with cancer or an autoimmune disease, like me, deal with daily fatigue. You know that exercise is so important to your health, but it’s so hard. There’s always an excuse: it’s too cold or hot, it’s going to rain or it’s raining, or it’s snowy and icy, or I just don’t want to. I, too, have all these excuses, but I have a new rescue dog who wants to go out and who doesn’t care about my excuses! And I’ve got traction devices for my boots.Now I just need a walking group who will keep me accountable. People who say, ‘let’s go for a walk.'

And I thought: What about my virtual friends on MayoClinicConnect?

Mayo Clinic has an easy 12-week walking program to get us started! Here’s the link:
- Get walking with this 12-week walking schedule https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/get-walking-with-this-12-week-walking-schedule/

So let’s form a virtual walking group. We can agree to walk every day and encourage each other through Connect. We can walk outdoors, in a mall, or in the red center, or in the hallways of our apartment building.

Who’s in? Who’s going to join me?

Come on, Let’s Go Walking!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@fiesty76

@joybringer1, I like your handle! Also agree with what you wrote except that I like trying new recipes but do not like the necessary clean-up. Think we all need to find and enjoy a few "guilty pleasures" during these uncertain times.

Jump to this post

fiesty76, my handle comes from my mother. Whenever I would visit her, she delighted in introducing me to her friends and saying, "I call her my joy bringer. Oh how I miss that dear lady. She did so much good with her life. You mentioned you liked trying new recipes. Last night my husband fixed Finnan Haddie. He asked if I had ever had it and my answer was "no." This morning he was telling me how he made it. I tried to at least feign interest and learned he put the smoked fish in milk and then proceeded to tell me how he made the roux. I am sure I missed some steps, but it was delicious.

I am a technophobe. My friend calls me her favorite Luddite. You see, I don't really know how this Mayo Connect works and only reply on what I call the "second layer." I don't know how to post on the primary source that comes to my inbox nor do I know how to "like" someone else's post. Perhaps you could help me with this. I am always amazed when someone likes my post. I have learned from many of the posts and I really feel for those who have massive problems. I admire the attitudes expressed. These are terrible times and this is a wonderful place to share feelings. Have a glass of wine and stay safe!

@joybringer1 Welcome to connect yes we are a safe group to vent or whatever ails you other people may have some experience with your problem to help with a suggestion To reply a like at the bottom of the post on left side is a reply to there post and below that is a heart symbol that is a like to that post just click on it and it turns blue May I ask what brought you to connect ? Do you have any medical problems or just want to go on our walking program? Becsbuddy started this group but she isn't feeling well right now ,we just walk increase daily if we can ,report if we have seen anything interesting on our route and where we walked by ,stream,lake or something else

@joybringer1

fiesty76, my handle comes from my mother. Whenever I would visit her, she delighted in introducing me to her friends and saying, "I call her my joy bringer. Oh how I miss that dear lady. She did so much good with her life. You mentioned you liked trying new recipes. Last night my husband fixed Finnan Haddie. He asked if I had ever had it and my answer was "no." This morning he was telling me how he made it. I tried to at least feign interest and learned he put the smoked fish in milk and then proceeded to tell me how he made the roux. I am sure I missed some steps, but it was delicious.

I am a technophobe. My friend calls me her favorite Luddite. You see, I don't really know how this Mayo Connect works and only reply on what I call the "second layer." I don't know how to post on the primary source that comes to my inbox nor do I know how to "like" someone else's post. Perhaps you could help me with this. I am always amazed when someone likes my post. I have learned from many of the posts and I really feel for those who have massive problems. I admire the attitudes expressed. These are terrible times and this is a wonderful place to share feelings. Have a glass of wine and stay safe!

Jump to this post

@joybringer1, Sounds your mom was a wise and wonderful woman. Who better to give you the joybringer handle because who knew you better...smiles!

I have to laugh at your question because as many others on these forums will agree, I have asked more "how to navigate this site" questions than others combined....very big grin. However, I noticed that the COVID-19 was one of your threads. If you joined the Daily Digest for updates, click on the covid one; at the top of your screen, you'll see: "start a discussion". To "like a post", click on the heart at the bottom of a post to the left. If you want to "bookmark" a post for later referral, click on the "flag" to the right of the heart.

Forum moderators and group members alike are probably laughing out loud that I would even dare to offer a tip or two on how to navigate!!! Luckily for us all, members are kind, forgiving, generous with encouragement and eager to assist as they can.

Each participant on the walking site chooses whatever style, frequency or mode of "movement" that works for them. I set a personal challenge for myself in Jan, 2020 to see if I could discipline my contrary self to walk 3 days/week and named the days to make it harder to postpone...I need all the help possible because walking or exercising alone is not in my top 50 choices of things to do. lol

So it was a tremendous boost when our great @becsbuddy started this walking group in Feb.! So far, I've been able to successfully meet my goal...there were a few days when weather was atrocious and I feared walking in the mall or big box stores that found me wearing a monotonous path through the house & garage with a timer set. Welcome aboard!

@sueinmn, Sue, how did your shoe shopping venture turn out? After a long and painful recovery from plantar fasciitis, I know first hand the importance of really good supportive shoes and yet did a real number on myself a week ago by slipping on some unstructured, soft lace-ups for a day with electricians. My bad for sure! and I'm not fully yet recovered but better. With new supportive tennis shoes, I've found the need to break them in slowly. Is that true for you as well?

@lioness

@joybringer1 Welcome to connect yes we are a safe group to vent or whatever ails you other people may have some experience with your problem to help with a suggestion To reply a like at the bottom of the post on left side is a reply to there post and below that is a heart symbol that is a like to that post just click on it and it turns blue May I ask what brought you to connect ? Do you have any medical problems or just want to go on our walking program? Becsbuddy started this group but she isn't feeling well right now ,we just walk increase daily if we can ,report if we have seen anything interesting on our route and where we walked by ,stream,lake or something else

Jump to this post

Yes, I have medical problems and look for others with advice or those seeking answers to these problems. No, I don't want to go on the walking program. I live in a somewhat rural area and there are no sidewalks. It would be dangerous to walk on the highway or our road; however, I do like hearing of others' experiences on their walks. I am particularly interested in the autoimmune and aging well groups. Of course, I imagine all of us are interested in the COVID-19 thread. I find hope from some of the responses and am glad I discovered this group. Perhaps, in time, I will learn to navigate the threads. I do read the updates that appear. Thanks to you and all who respond with kind words and encouragement.

@sueinmn

Laced on my walking shoes and hit the road today for a nice, but chilly walk. The trees are looking great, and the sumac hedges are blazing red. Next time I need to wear a hat!

Realized along the way that after 3 months of daily wear including 3 miles of walking and hours of playing with the boys, "the goodness has gone out of them" (My letter carrier Dad's term for shoes that looked okay, but weren't roadworthy anymore.) They are also woven elastic, so the breeze was blowing right through them - brr!

Then I tried on my previous walkers, and realized that they are still "like new" because I hate them - too heavy & too stiff. Then I searched for my "old standby" Reebok Classics on-line - only to learn they are now made of vinyl, not leather! So this afternoon, I shall have to venture into my local shoe store - I loathe shoe shopping, but will mask up & do it so I can keep walking.

Sue

Jump to this post

@sueinmn Like you, I have looked at older, favorite shoes, and while their general condition is great, the support is gone. How I hate to retire those! Usually I buy men's shoes for the sturdiness and support they offer, as practicality is at top of my life. I use a low hiking shoe for daily walkers. The shoe rack has only about 5 pairs of shoes, that do multiple duty. Here's hoping you had a successful outing for shoe buying.

@gingerw

@sueinmn Like you, I have looked at older, favorite shoes, and while their general condition is great, the support is gone. How I hate to retire those! Usually I buy men's shoes for the sturdiness and support they offer, as practicality is at top of my life. I use a low hiking shoe for daily walkers. The shoe rack has only about 5 pairs of shoes, that do multiple duty. Here's hoping you had a successful outing for shoe buying.

Jump to this post

@gingerw, @sueinmn.. I'm in the same boat, finding the right pair of shoes is like finding the holy grail. When I was at a lab recently, the nurses there have cute shoes, and they said the shoes are very comfortable and they got them online. I have bought shoes online but it's a pain, no pun intended. Buy, try, return. And even if I go to a shoe store walking around in the store is different than "real" walking in the streets. When I was at the ortho doctor, the nurse said their feet doctor recommens the brand Hoka (?) but they are mainly running shoes.

@fiesty76

@sueinmn, Sue, how did your shoe shopping venture turn out? After a long and painful recovery from plantar fasciitis, I know first hand the importance of really good supportive shoes and yet did a real number on myself a week ago by slipping on some unstructured, soft lace-ups for a day with electricians. My bad for sure! and I'm not fully yet recovered but better. With new supportive tennis shoes, I've found the need to break them in slowly. Is that true for you as well?

Jump to this post

And @gingerw Surprise. I revisited my shoe rack and found a pair of like new black leather Oxfords that were a little too loose. Then I went to Walgreens and found a pair of generic memory foam insoles for $10. Voila! My new shoes.

Ginger I have lightweight hikers, but reserve them for off pavement. I must buy ladies shoes due to very narrow feet. But like many other parts of me, they are arthritic so it's hard to find a comfortable fit. My favorite full service shoe store usually can fit me, but the prices make me gasp. I am also buying a few more memory foam insoles to see if I can extend the life of some other favorite shoes.

Today I'm with my little boys, and the wind is 30-40 mph.. Tomorrow I'll walk again if I don't blow away trying to get home.
Sue

@lioness

Jump to this post

@lioness, after I sent my reply to you, my husband said I needed to get outside on this lovely day. We walked to our mailbox and back. He said our walk was about the equivalent of four football fields. Our driveway is very long and some parts are hilly. So, I did go for a walk today! I also remembered we have an old Nordic Track in the basement and I should start on that. I recently finished PT and was good about doing those exercises, then I was not. So, I needed some motivation to get going again. Also, thanks to all who "liked" my responses. Over and out from @joybringer1!

@joybringer1

Yes, I have medical problems and look for others with advice or those seeking answers to these problems. No, I don't want to go on the walking program. I live in a somewhat rural area and there are no sidewalks. It would be dangerous to walk on the highway or our road; however, I do like hearing of others' experiences on their walks. I am particularly interested in the autoimmune and aging well groups. Of course, I imagine all of us are interested in the COVID-19 thread. I find hope from some of the responses and am glad I discovered this group. Perhaps, in time, I will learn to navigate the threads. I do read the updates that appear. Thanks to you and all who respond with kind words and encouragement.

Jump to this post

@joybringer1, I just came across your post and I am sending this link to help you get started and to learn more about Mayo Connect. It is called: "Tips for Participating in an Online Community"
You just need to click on this link>https://connect.mayoclinic.org/page/about-connect/newsfeed-post/tips-for-participating-in-an-online-community/

I hope this helps you. Feel free send a reply if you need help.
Hope to see you around in some of the discussions.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.