June, 2020. Time to get on with life?

Posted by lizzy102 @lizzy102, Jun 13, 2020

Hi all, I’m 20 years out on my second renal transplant, the first functioned for 11 years. Just as Covid-19 got going, we sold our house, moved in the RV and got ready to leave for the West where our son and grandchildren live. Bam! Covid hit and we decided to hunker down in a campground near our old home. That was in Feb. I’m impatient to leave for the west and am really scared of getting this murderous virus. I want to find our next home, visit with my grandchildren and get on with life. Do you think it is safe enough to leave and brave going across country?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Transplants Support Group.

@rosemarya

@lizzy102, You've got this! I think that you are ready to begin this new adventure.
Drive safely and let us know where you decide to settle.
Will you have to move your post transplant care to another transplant center?

Jump to this post

Thank you for your kind support, Rosemary. I bet you would be someone I’d like to be friends with! I’ve been out of transplant center care for almost 20 years. I saw a nephrologist who kept up with Transplant science and will find another. I’ve been his poster “old gal” for years because my numbers are amazing, I exercise regularly and have made plans for my life thru my 90th year to keep me moving forward. I am so used to being vigilant about hand sanitizer and hand washing, masking in crowded spaces and smearing Clorox wipes over every surface I touch, it is second nature. I practice meditation and gratitude daily for the incredible life I’ve been gifted with my my wife and my son. Yes, I sure hope I’ve “got this!” I’ll let you know how it goes.

@rosemarya hi Rosemary. As you know I went in for an ERCP on Mon 22nd to remove the stent from my bile duct. I was praying not to get pancreatitis (like the first 4 times) but no such luck. I got a double whammy and have been in Hospital since Mon morning. Back on hydromorphine, morphine, demerol and T3s for the pain. Plus strong anti-nauseants. I can't seem to get a break lol...at least the stent was successfully removed. Not sure when I'll be released, its been 6 days already.

@gaylea1, This is absolutely dreadful. I am so sad to hear how much you are hurting. I know that you are disappointed.
This is not a good time for questions, but please ask the doctor why this happens to you.

I hope tomorrow is the beginning of a better time for you. I am going to venture out tomorrow and attend early mass at my parish. I have been "attending live-online and been impressed with the safety protocol, plus in my area the COVID19 is at a low volume. I will remember you in my prayers.

@rosemarya

@gaylea1, This is absolutely dreadful. I am so sad to hear how much you are hurting. I know that you are disappointed.
This is not a good time for questions, but please ask the doctor why this happens to you.

I hope tomorrow is the beginning of a better time for you. I am going to venture out tomorrow and attend early mass at my parish. I have been "attending live-online and been impressed with the safety protocol, plus in my area the COVID19 is at a low volume. I will remember you in my prayers.

Jump to this post

@gaylea, Thinking about you. How are you? Where are you, home yet?

Hi all, we left our home state and are on the road. Today we enjoyed the varied colors and formations of the wonderful New Mexico landscape and landed in Winslow, Arizona for the night. The roads have much less traffic - even the interstates. People everywhere in NM are under a mask mandate and didn’t seem to fuss about it at all. In TX, people all carried masks and before going into buildings slipped them on, again no fussing we observed. This is an interesting country. On the news a story about a Florida woman who called 911 because her fridge broke, the call resulted in the police buying her a new fridge and helping her with it. On the other hand, in another story we have a woman who dropped her pants and urinated in a Verizon store because she objected to wearing a mask. These seem to be off the chart crazy times. I’m staying safe, I am not leaving the RV until we get to the town we want to look at as a possible home. I’m so glad I had my transplant so many years ago! I’ve had years to train for this pandemic. Stay safe everyone!

@lizzy102

Hi all, we left our home state and are on the road. Today we enjoyed the varied colors and formations of the wonderful New Mexico landscape and landed in Winslow, Arizona for the night. The roads have much less traffic - even the interstates. People everywhere in NM are under a mask mandate and didn’t seem to fuss about it at all. In TX, people all carried masks and before going into buildings slipped them on, again no fussing we observed. This is an interesting country. On the news a story about a Florida woman who called 911 because her fridge broke, the call resulted in the police buying her a new fridge and helping her with it. On the other hand, in another story we have a woman who dropped her pants and urinated in a Verizon store because she objected to wearing a mask. These seem to be off the chart crazy times. I’m staying safe, I am not leaving the RV until we get to the town we want to look at as a possible home. I’m so glad I had my transplant so many years ago! I’ve had years to train for this pandemic. Stay safe everyone!

Jump to this post

@lizzy102, Thanks for remembering all of us with this virtual post card message! When I read about the colors and formations that you are seeing as you travel toward your destination, I had memories and visions of the travels we have done thru the Western part of this beautiful country. We have cancelled our travel plans for this year, and after hearing about the light traffic, I guess others have also cancelled their plans, too. I bet it is pleasant driving with less traffic on the road.
I hope that when you get 'home' you will health conscious people nearby in your community. Keep on doing what you are doing to stay safe, because your transplant living has trained you well!

Please sign in or register to post a reply.