Is a BP of 134/70 ok for a 70 year old female?

Posted by apcox @apcox, Feb 1 7:46am

I read that a BP of over 129 is high. My doctor says while mine is 134/70 it is not considered high for a 70 yr old woman. Is she right?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Heart & Blood Health Support Group.

Hello @apcox, this is a great question. It also must be reassuring to hear that your doctor informed you that your blood pressure is not high. Here is some additional information on how to read blood pressure results on a chart, https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-pressure/in-depth/blood-pressure/art-20050982.

It states, "If you're a healthy adult age 65 or older, your treatment goal also is usually less than 130/80 mm Hg."

@apcox, how are you feeling otherwise? Have you had any blood pressure concerns in the past?

Thanks for the chart. I feel fine. Last year at my annual wellness check up my Dr said my old heart murmur was now "pronounced" and she sent me for an EKG. After more tests I was told I had severe aortic stenosis & needed a valve replacement. I had a Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement on Dec 14. It was during my 1 month follow up that I learned my BP was 134/70. By the way I felt fine before the TAVR too. So this is all very new to me.

@apcox

Thanks for the chart. I feel fine. Last year at my annual wellness check up my Dr said my old heart murmur was now "pronounced" and she sent me for an EKG. After more tests I was told I had severe aortic stenosis & needed a valve replacement. I had a Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement on Dec 14. It was during my 1 month follow up that I learned my BP was 134/70. By the way I felt fine before the TAVR too. So this is all very new to me.

Jump to this post

You might want to look into getting a home BP monitoring machine. They are not expensive and are very reliable.
My BP numbers are always 10 points or more higher in the doctor office than at home. I’ve been doing it long enough and the numbers are consistent enough that my doctor considers those to be more reliable than the numbers I get in his office.

From what I’ve read that’s s perfectly normal BP . I’m 64 and would gladly take those numbers lol but hey I’m no doc

Always remember. Your actual bp is taken after sitting still 5 minutes

Please sign in or register to post a reply.