How about a laugh, (hopefully)

Posted by Leonard @jakedduck1, Dec 31, 2018

I believe laughter is the best medicine. Laughter has actually been scientifically proven to help people with depression issues.
Let’s give it a try so we can all get happy and feel better. Many Epilepsy forums I’ve been on had joke sections. I was probably the biggest joke of all since I didn’t get a lot of the jokes. They said the jokes couldn’t be above 4th grade level for me to understand them so my jokes may be rather simplistic but let’s give it a try.
Have a lovely day everyone,
Jake

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@itchyd

A few notes to add to our pudgy little friend's obit:

Contrary to popular opinion, he didn't come from an uppercrust family. Rather, he was a battered child, got mixed up with the wrong crowd and ended up in a tight situation and stuck in a case from which there was no easy escape. His lawyer tried to butter the judge up and get his sentence shortened but he ended up getting the book thrown at him and was given the full fifteen (minutes). Well, he turned out to be a stand up guy, took the rap along with the rest, found his place in the fold, then separated himself from the crowd and rose to the occasion when the others couldn't take the heat (some of them couldn't even take the pre-heat). All the rest ended up cooking in leavenworth.

Jump to this post

Excellent addition! 😆

@itchyd

Hi Rashida,

I lived in Burlington, Kansas for a few years, on a long-term assignment for the engineering firm I worked for. I live near Madison, Wisconsin now. I'm not Canadian, although based on their higher standard of living and civilized ideas about how to treat their citizens (universal healthcare, etc.), I kinda wish I was. I grew up in the Chicago area and played hockey when I was a kid. I idolized the Black Hawks, Red Wings, Canadiens and Leafs. Are you from north of the border?

Jump to this post

@itchyd yes I am - from Ontario. It was your joke about payment with two fins that made me wonder. A fin is a five dollar bill and I think only Canadians would know or call it that. 😊

@rashida

@itchyd yes I am - from Ontario. It was your joke about payment with two fins that made me wonder. A fin is a five dollar bill and I think only Canadians would know or call it that. 😊

Jump to this post

Hi Rashida,

I'm somewhat familiar with O'Canada. I was in the Navy back in the 70s/80s and was stationed in upstate NY for 6 months in '77 where I visited Montreal and Mont Tremblant Provincial Park (skied there). I really wanted to see the Forum and cheer on les Habs but the timing wasn't right. A buddy of mine and I gave a guy from Guelp, Ont. a lift while we were on the road in Maine and we visited him at his college for a wild weekend. In 1981, I met a woman from Burnaby, BC while I was on leave in Austria and we spent a month traveling together in southern Europe. We were smitten with each other and promised to hook up when I got back stateside. We wrote a few times but I never saw her again. Kids! In the spring/summer of 1997, my wife Pat and I drove from Milwaukee to Fairbanks, AK and we saw quite a bit of western Canada. What a beautiful country, and very friendly folks. We spent a while in Edmonton. That's where I picked up "No worries" as my standard reply to someone begging for pardons.

Take care, Rashida.

@rashida

Jump to this post

No joke here (sorry)
Aboout "fins"

My Irish-descended family here on the East Coast USA also refers to five dollar bills as "fins."

Interesting, eh? I wonder why...

I've been loving everyone's puns and jokes.
thanks!!!

Why did the frog take a bus to work? His car was toad away.

@annewoodmayo

No joke here (sorry)
Aboout "fins"

My Irish-descended family here on the East Coast USA also refers to five dollar bills as "fins."

thanks!!!

Jump to this post

@annewoodmayo five dollar bills are referred to as fins mostly on the East Coast, and especially in Newfoundland (lots of Irish descendants there). In fact, I believe the Newfoundlanders were the ones who called the five dollar bills fins and it spread from there. So I am not surprised East Coast USA also calls them fins.

@annewoodmayo

No joke here (sorry)
Aboout "fins"

thanks!!!

Jump to this post

A little history of the Abe:
The fiver got the nickname "fin" from a mistake by the Treasury Dept. in its initial printing in 1861. There was a typo in the motto which read "In Cod we trust." People took notice and started calling it a "cod" or a "fish". A few wiseacres would call it a "Gadus Morhua Linnaeus" per the cod's icthyological taxonomy, but when they said, "Ill take my change as two odds and a Gadus Morhua Linnaeus", only fish experts and Latin majors knew what the hell they were talking about, and that bright idea died a quick death. The bill was also referred to as an "odd" because five's an odd number. But, singles were also called "odds", which caused mass confusion. So, to keep things straight, if you wanted a five dollar bill as part of your change you'd say, "Give me an odd cod". At the same time as this was popular, "fin" was introduced and quickly became the predominant slang, simply because it's quicker to say, "I'll take a fin back", or "Slide me a fin and three odds". The typo was corrected in the next currency issue, but the nicknames stuck. A precious few "cods" survive and command princely sums among numismatists.

An aside:
The term "fishing for compliments" originated from the practice by gentlemens club patrons during the Civil War era of sliding a "fish" into the dancer's garter belt as a high complement for the girls they fancied most (the average tip for a bawdy dancer then was only an "odd", which was referred to as an "odd compliment": "She wasn't the best dancer, but he paid her the odd compliment anyway." This practice, in turn, spawned the idioms "give her the high fish", "slip her the cod", and "slip her the fin" but none of these stuck: "give 'em the high fish" already referred to feeding someone sarpa salpa, a species of bream that, when ingested, causes hallucinations; "slip her the cod" is a vulgarity for sexual intercourse; and "fin" is short for a Mickey Finn, a sedative used for spiking someone's drink with the intent to commit sexual assault. There was also a movement to replace "High fish" with "high five" which proved problematic because "high five" was used to describe the average length of an erect human penis. Over the years, that average was determined to be closer to six inches and high five was reintroduced to the slang lexicon and is still used today.

@kamama94

Why did the frog take a bus to work? His car was toad away.

Jump to this post

🤣

Never heard it before! That's a newt one for me.

ok, I have to confess that, actually, I have heard it before.

To be perfectly honest, I admit that I have trouble with the truth and alas, amphibian again.

@itchyd

🤣

Never heard it before! That's a newt one for me.

ok, I have to confess that, actually, I have heard it before.

To be perfectly honest, I admit that I have trouble with the truth and alas, amphibian again.

Jump to this post

Dang, you're good!

What did the grape say when it got crushed?
Nothing, it just let out a little wine.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.